You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This Meghan and Harry Thing

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You mean a woman who has a husband who loves her accuses his family of being racist and he stands by her thus creating a divide between decent people appalled that she has had to go through and and those who think she is either lying or being "woke". 

Exactly. People taking everything being said at face value because it fits their pattern, which is now, as I argue above,  predominantly based on identity ideology.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You mean a woman who has a husband who loves her accuses his family of being racist and he stands by her thus creating a divide between decent people appalled that she has had to go through and and those who think she is either lying or being "woke". 

Admittedly I havent seen the whole interview but from what I did see you could justify the opinions on both sides of your "divide" no question at all.

Race and Mental health issues do tend to make such comments beyond reproach which is why you wont see The Royals attempt to deny it- full apology will be issued.

25 minutes ago, SasaS said:

"progressives" are entirely focused on identity, in this case racial.

Is that true? I've seen plenty of people you'd call progressives focusing on both aspects: that Monarchy is a load of bollocks that should be abolished and that nobody (irrespective of their class) should be subject to racist abuse. There's no contradiction between these two arguments.

16 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Is that true? I've seen plenty of people you'd call progressives focusing on both aspects: that Monarchy is a load of bollocks that should be abolished and that nobody (irrespective of their class) should be subject to racist abuse. There's no contradiction between these two arguments.

I used the term "progressives" broadly speaking, since Stig pulled me up on who was fighting the "culture war".

Well, I cannot argue with what we have seen respectively, I was going on the deluge of articles on my timeline, and the only thing they talk about or seem to show any interest in was the race element, presumed racist abuse (discussed as a fact even though it was fairly vaguely formulated) from which various theories then get extrapolated, followed by some interest in mental health issues or support.

19 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I used the term "progressives" broadly speaking, since Stig pulled me up on who was fighting the "culture war".

Well, I cannot argue with what we have seen respectively, I was going on the deluge of articles on my timeline, and the only thing they talk about or seem to show any interest in was the race element, presumed racist abuse (discussed as a fact even though it was fairly vaguely formulated) from which various theories then get extrapolated, followed by some interest in mental health issues or support.

I wasn't 'pulling you up' I just wanted to know what you meant. 

As I say, I didnt watch it all but regards the suicide thing and the refusal of help;

Did Oprah ask how she managed to fight back from such a low?

To recover to such a point mentally that she felt quite comfortable on Prime time TV discussing a whole myriad of issues that will expose here to enormous scrutiny for years (decades?) to come?

Not meant as a dig or to cast doubt, genuine question as surely anybody watching it that has had similar feelings of despair would have been desperate to hear of the possible methods that helped her recover?    

8 minutes ago, Dave D said:

As I say, I didnt watch it all but regards the suicide thing and the refusal of help;

To recover to such a point mentally that she felt quite comfortable on Prime time TV discussing a whole myriad of issues that will expose here to enormous scrutiny for years (decades?) to come?

Not meant as a dig or to cast doubt, genuine question as surely anybody watching it that has had similar feelings of despair would have been desperate to hear of the possible methods that helped her recover?    

Moving out of the goldfish bowl that it was and back to LA I'm sure went a big way towards helping her mental state. I'm also sure that being able to go on Oprah and tell the world her side of the story instead of tabloids spouting untruths about her will too have made her feel a million times better. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I did listen to that aspect as that certainly raised those questions for me too. People seem to be missing some of the things she said. She said it would be easier for everyone if she wasn't alive any more so she had thoughts of ending her life. The first time Oprah quoted her as wanting to commit suicide, she seemed to say she didn't mean she wanted to die, she just felt it would be easier if she wasn't there. 

In other words, it was a brief period of thinking that was the best solution, not an admission of suicidal thoughts. 

16 minutes ago, Dave D said:

As Stig said, being "out" now, away from it and knowing that it's all out in the open and she has her husbands support, would be an enormous help. Feelings of desperation are when we have no idea what we can do to cope, and we can't see a way out. She's out now. She doesn't have to be a part of that shite any more.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I did listen to that aspect as that certainly raised those questions for me too. People seem to be missing some of the things she said. She said it would be easier for everyone if she wasn't alive any more so she had thoughts of ending her life. The first time Oprah quoted her as wanting to commit suicide, she seemed to say she didn't mean she wanted to die, she just felt it would be easier if she wasn't there. 

In other words, it was a brief period of thinking that was the best solution, not an admission of suicidal thoughts. 

Thinking the world would be better off without you is pretty grim. Splitting hairs there, just a tad.

Just now, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

And what the fucks that supposed to mean?

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I asked you a question 

You asked me a question as part of arguing with me over the issue, the implication being, there is no culture war. 

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Thinking the world would be better off without you is pretty grim. Splitting hairs there, just a tad.

No, she said she wanted to stop these problems and it was a solution. Oprah specifically asked Harry if he was concerned she wanted to end her life, Meghan cut in and said she didn't want to end her life - she wanted a solution and that was one. 

I never heard her say the world would be better off. That's suicidal thoughts. She said she wanted a solution and she would never have done it. 

6 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

When is the albums tournament resuming, mate?

8C04CA97-0568-4067-A204-B98E6748F721.gif

Sorry mate got a bit on my mind will do this tomorrow 

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

You asked me a question as part of arguing with me over the issue, the implication being, there is no culture war. 

Ok. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Moving out of the goldfish bowl that it was and back to LA I'm sure went a big way towards helping her mental state. I'm also sure that being able to go on Oprah and tell the world her side of the story instead of tabloids spouting untruths about her will too have made her feel a million times better. 

35 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

As Stig said, being "out" now, away from it and knowing that it's all out in the open and she has her husbands support, would be an enormous help. Feelings of desperation are when we have no idea what we can do to cope, and we can't see a way out. She's out now. She doesn't have to be a part of that shite any more.

The two of you need to stop reading women’s magazines and man the fuck up. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SasaS said:

People taking sides over it on social media. Flood of articles / columns on my timeline.

I think it’s more just non-doffers having found something that’s really winding up doffers and running with it.

13 minutes ago, A Red said:

At least LA isnt a goldfish bowl and is where the status of celebrity is unimportant

Repped but Rico will be all over you...