You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thiago Alcantara

Elite

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Can't really see teams moving for Wilson, Shaqiri, Grujic till the last minute. Every week they wait its less wages and they'll all start with loan offers. 

yeah, i think they for sure will be all looking for loans. personally i think gruic and wilson have had enough loans now and shaq just shouldn't be in the loan mix. if we do allow any out of the door on loans, it should be like it was with Ings, a loan with future guarantee of a permanent move and no options to get out of it. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i agree gini plays there now. personally i think with the success klopp has brought we should be able to scratch 27m together with lallana leaving to be able to have both - although i realise this blocks Jones' pathway a little, but i would solve that by shipping out the Ox or telling him to be back up fullback both sides, but that ship has sailed as we have kostas. i am surprised you think klopp doesn't want thiago, as just about all reports would suggest he does - and he has been one of the very few players klopp has not squashed rumours on and gone out of his way to complement. 

i actually don't know if thiago is what we need (due to my ignorance as I've never watched lots of him). but i feel certain klopp wants him and that is enough for me at the moment and i would really wish the club could find a way to do it to keep gini, because i think he is our most tactically astute midfielder, perhaps our most tactically astute player. but i've no doubt it is one or the other. 

Someone said Pete Krawwietz(?) said we were working on a tactical tweak.  I'd love it to be the 4231 withThiago as an option for the two.  We can't rely on the 433 ALL the time and that 4231 has never really clicked,  with Thiago it could.  But Klopp is a build vs. buy guy, probably to a fault.

Re: Thiago, I've never heard Klopp say a bad word about a player, he seems too nice for that.  So I always take that stuff with a pinch of salt.

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I’ve seen some suggestion that the only thing holding up Thiago is that we need to offload a non-homegrown player? I have to admit the whole quota rule has passed me by but if this is the case just sell Karius for €1. Job done.

Who the fuck would be crazy enough to part with a quid for Karius ?

41 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Someone said Pete Krawwietz(?) said we were working on a tactical tweak.  I'd love it to be the 4231 withThiago as an option for the two.  We can't rely on the 433 ALL the time and that 4231 has never really clicked,  with Thiago it could.  But Klopp is a build vs. buy guy, probably to a fault.

Re: Thiago, I've never heard Klopp say a bad word about a player, he seems too nice for that.  So I always take that stuff with a pinch of salt.

We pretty much went to 4231 on the 1st subs on saturday. Keita and Gini as the 2, mane right, mini left, firmino as the 10 and Salah as the 9. I'm not worrying too much about tweaks like that, we alter how we play all the time, so even as a 433, it's not always the same as how wide Salah and mane are alters and sometime we push the 2 of them on the shoulders of the defenders and sometime 1 or none. And while obviously someone new might alter how we can do things, I'd be quite surprised if we were planning to do something new without the player being onboard already. 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

This lad is world class but it's a sad state of affairs if we're having to sacrifice Gini in order to bring him in. 

i dont think its a matter of us sacrificing Gini for this to happen.

Gini is what, 28-29, has won everything with us, like anyone else, he probably fancies a change of scenery, there's no harm or malice in that, its human nature. 

20 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

LOL. Now you're talking me out of it!

Haha. My guess (and I might be wrong) if we're heading towards that 4231 on occasion it's because it'll probably get the best out of a number of existing players who aren't contributing much

Minamino - would probably be able to do any of the 3

Shaq, would certainly look a player who's probably compete more wide in that formation and maybe as the 10 too

Chamberlain - same as Shaq! 

Maybe even Wilson. And bun head. And perhaps Jones as the 10. 

Origi - as the 9 in that formation. (Brewster too if he's not loaned)

And so if we're thinking of 4231 as a choice to 433, I think it will be to get more out of the players we have today in a season where those fringe players will have to contribute more and have mostly looked like square pegs in round holes in the 433 we play when they're plugging gaps for the main front 3. I think a bit like the derby last season, we might see 5 or 6 changes and to get the best out of those players we'll see something other than 433 as those players just don't suit it. Thiago may play a part in that. 

Just been listening to the podcast I think the athletic do (red agenda). I was only half listening as I was writing an email, but there was a fella with a bit of a squeeky voice who i think is Pearce. So this was that summary (not word for word as I say, was only half listening)

He pretty much conceded thiago is a target. 

We'd have probably made the move if it wasn't for covid. 

Gini will have to leave to "make room". Read fund. 

They had been expecting offered of around 20m each for Wilson, Shaq and gruic. The only offers are loans. 

As an aside, but emphasising the skint aspect, Kostas was only signed as lovren left. 

46 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Gini is what, 28-29, has won everything with us, like anyone else, he probably fancies a change of scenery, there's no harm or malice in that, its human nature. 

According to Reddy and Pearce one of the issues with brining Thiago in isn't just financial, it's squad harmony. The centre of the pitch is already well-stocked and there's lads in there like Ox, Keita and Jones who are already having to sit out games and Klopp doesn't want to disrupt the happiness of the squad. Adding Thiago will mean they play even less. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd still bring him in (and keep Gini) because he's a world class player who makes us even stronger. Fabinho could easily switch to CB in a lot of games. 

6 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

According to Reddy and Pearce one of the issues with brining Thiago in isn't just financial, it's squad harmony. The centre of the pitch is already well-stocked and there's lads in there like Ox, Keita and Jones who are already having to sit out games and Klopp doesn't want to disrupt the happiness of the squad. Adding Thiago will mean they play even less. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd still bring him in (and keep Gini) because he's a world class player who makes us even stronger. Fabinho could easily switch to CB in a lot of games. 

If these guys aren't happy with whats happened in the last couple of years they will never be!! I imagine it's just talk for talk sake. You know what you are getting yourself into when you sign up for Klopp management!!

The fact that we will now be going for the Quadruple should keep them all on their toes!! 

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

Plus he has "given up" say 50k a week pay rise he would have got as part of signing a new contract last year . I think his mind was made up , he will make up the shortfall with a big signing on fee fair play to him . It would not surprise me to see Gini rocking up at Bayern . Cool character been great servant has been well worth the 35 odd million and wages since he has been here. Hope he stays mind.

Just now, Doctor Troy said:

If the echo had their way Liverpool would sign no one. By the way the fucking website is ridiculous and impossible to read with adverts popping up every 2 seconds. It's like flying through an asteroid field.

giphy-2.gif

So odds of about 3720 to 1 then?