You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs

SlugTrail

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

Levy is an idiot. Proof is him sacking Pochettino to bring in Jose Mourinho who has been past his sell-by-date for a long time.

Dortmund repeated the same trick with Tuchel who also turned out to be a CL winning manager, you just need to be able to look deeper, past the league table. Pep achieved a square root of fuck all before Barca promoted him from Barca B. They’ve got to stay somewhere. Graham Potter has a superior CV now than Pep did at the time and probably Klopp’s and Tuchel’s before they moved to Dormund if you consider his achievements with Ostersund. 

The discussion is around who we think Spurs should look at as their potential manager, I don’t think dismissing a manager because Spurs haven’t approached him makes for a good argument or discussion. 

Spurs haven't approached him because the only thing in his favour is his strikers can't shoot! They shocking to watch, their approach play is slow, dull and predictable. They look like they could lose every single game they're involved in. Sure, loads of managers there's some type of leap of faith. But that's not potter in my opinion. His body of work at Brighton suggests he's not very good. There's no improvement in what they're doing. Your version of there being improvement is because they miss more chances than anyone else. You see that as a positive. I see that as a negative - after 2 years why are they no better at taking chances than when he arrived? Sometimes in football you just let people have it. Let them give you a goal kick because they don't hurt you. That's Brighton. They're an awful team. But they split their centre back and pass the ball in their own 6 yard box from goal kicks, so I guess they must be good and it makes potter the next Guardiola it would seem 

As for them sacking pochetino,  you don't know what was going on behind the scenes there. They'd barely spent a penny while they built the stadium, pochetino was sulkong and calling out Levy even in the build up to Madrid 19.. Levy's aim was to keep the club afloat and relevant while he built the ground. You seem to be confusing Levy's job with putting a successful football team on the pitch, his job is to ensure his club enhances its value. Look at the value of the club when he took over and now. He's delivering and in spades. Would I be happy with that as a spurs fan? Probably not, but that's what levy is there to do  More and more clubs are run this way, ours included. He obviously didn't hire mourinho for some long term footballing dream because he doesn't last anywhere, he was personality to keep the club in the public eye (and hence keep them relevant to fans and sponsors) during a period where the team would be outside the top 4. Then the minute he was getting close to hitting one of his targets and a load of bonuses, he got fired to save 10s of millions while they figure who's next. 

Maybe what they need next is a potter to meet their aims, like when we went for Rodgers. Someone who'll do as he's told, work within a tight budget, create a narrative about some new footballing philosophy and trick the fans and generate interest till everyone realises it's not all that. I don't think that's what they will want. I think they'll want someone high profile again, someone who can handle the personalities in the dressing room, someone who has a track record of buying players who cost 10s of millions because it's likely they'll lose kane over the next 12 months and they'll need to spend the money wisely. It's their chance to jump forward again. I expect that's the type of manager spurs will want, not a fella who buys forwards who can't shoot and is unable to get them shooting better in 2 years. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, aRdja said:

Levy is an idiot. Proof is him sacking Pochettino to bring in Jose Mourinho who has been past his sell-by-date for a long time.

Dortmund repeated the same trick with Tuchel who also turned out to be a CL winning manager, you just need to be able to look deeper, past the league table. Pep achieved a square root of fuck all before Barca promoted him from Barca B. They’ve got to stay somewhere. Graham Potter has a superior CV now than Pep did at the time and probably Klopp’s and Tuchel’s before they moved to Dormund if you consider his achievements with Ostersund. 

The discussion is around who we think Spurs should look at as their potential manager, I don’t think dismissing a manager because Spurs haven’t approached him makes for a good argument or discussion. 

You should apply.

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Spurs haven't approached him because the only thing in his favour is his strikers can't shoot! They shocking to watch, their approach play is slow, dull and predictable. They look like they could lose every single game they're involved in. Sure, loads of managers there's some type of leap of faith. But that's not potter in my opinion. His body of work at Brighton suggests he's not very good. There's no improvement in what they're doing. Your version of there being improvement is because they miss more chances than anyone else. You see that as a positive. I see that as a negative - after 2 years why are they no better at taking chances than when he arrived? Sometimes in football you just let people have it. Let them give you a goal kick because they don't hurt you. That's Brighton. They're an awful team. But they split their centre back and pass the ball in their own 6 yard box from goal kicks, so I guess they must be good and it makes potter the next Guardiola it would seem 

As for them sacking pochetino,  you don't know what was going on behind the scenes there. They'd barely spent a penny while they built the stadium, pochetino was sulkong and calling out Levy even in the build up to Madrid 19.. Levy's aim was to keep the club afloat and relevant while he built the ground. You seem to be confusing Levy's job with putting a successful football team on the pitch, his job is to ensure his club enhances its value. Look at the value of the club when he took over and now. He's delivering and in spades. Would I be happy with that as a spurs fan? Probably not, but that's what levy is there to do  More and more clubs are run this way, ours included. He obviously didn't hire mourinho for some long term footballing dream because he doesn't last anywhere, he was personality to keep the club in the public eye (and hence keep them relevant to fans and sponsors) during a period where the team would be outside the top 4. Then the minute he was getting close to hitting one of his targets and a load of bonuses, he got fired to save 10s of millions while they figure who's next. 

Maybe what they need next is a potter to meet their aims, like when we went for Rodgers. Someone who'll do as he's told, work within a tight budget, create a narrative about some new footballing philosophy and trick the fans and generate interest till everyone realises it's not all that. I don't think that's what they will want. I think they'll want someone high profile again, someone who can handle the personalities in the dressing room, someone who has a track record of buying players who cost 10s of millions because it's likely they'll lose kane over the next 12 months and they'll need to spend the money wisely. It's their chance to jump forward again. I expect that's the type of manager spurs will want, not a fella who buys forwards who can't shoot and is unable to get them shooting better in 2 years. 

Going for someone high profile got them past-it Mourinho. There’s nothing stopping you from suggesting a high profile name and if it interests me enough I’ll join in the discussion. If you want to restrict your search to managers who’ve won trophies then please don’t let me stop you. What I’m saying is you probably will miss the next Klopp or Guardiola… as they wouldn’t have met your criteria, given Klopp got Mainz relegated prior to him moving to Dortmund and Pep’s only notable experience was Barca’s reserve.

Under Potter they have become a team who play good football every work and as the stats would you would’ve finished much higher if they had better finishers, they were much more solid in defence than Newcastle, the team you brought up as a counterpoint in this discussion, for me to remind you that they conceded a lot more goals (16 to be exact) than Brighton last season. Brighton managed to outplay the defending champions twice last season, deserved more than the four points they showed for it (had more shots on goal and shots on target than us at Anfield). Under Hughton, didn’t we spank them 5-0 with Gini Wijnaldum and Can at CB.

Ultimately you keep going back to the league position, and that’s fine, I respect that, but what I’m saying if I was a Spurs fan, I’d hope the people making the apply a bit lore nuance to to their decision making. You don’t have to agree and I’m okay with that.

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Going for someone high profile got them past-it Mourinho. There’s nothing stopping you from suggesting a high profile name and if it interests me enough I’ll join in the discussion. If you want to restrict your search to managers who’ve won trophies then please don’t let me stop you. What I’m saying is you probably will miss the next Klopp or Guardiola… as they wouldn’t have met your criteria, given Klopp got Mainz relegated prior to him moving to Dortmund and Pep’s only notable experience was Barca’s reserve.

Under Potter they have become a team who play good football every work and as the stats would you would’ve finished much higher if they had better finishers, they were much more solid in defence than Newcastle, the team you brought up as a counterpoint in this discussion, for me to remind you that they conceded a lot more goals (16 to be exact) than Brighton last season. Brighton managed to outplay the defending champions twice last season, deserved more than the four points they showed for it (had more shots on goal and shots on target than us at Anfield). Under Hughton, didn’t we spank them 5-0 with Gini Wijnaldum and Can at CB.

Ultimately you keep going back to the league position, and that’s fine, I respect that, but what I’m saying if I was a Spurs fan, I’d hope the people making the apply a bit lore nuance to to their decision making. You don’t have to agree and I’m okay with that.

Ultimately we come back to you thinking levy is making a footballing decision 1st and then if you're right your "nuanced" view may come into play. That's not spurs game right now, because if it was even if it wasn't Potter they'd have been linked with, there would be some other left field suggestions. Levy won't be measured on the league position, he will be measured on tweet, instagram followers and all that shite. It's what allows spurs and has since he's been in charge, get sponsorship deals and a profile completely and utterly out of kilter with their achievements on the pitch. 

The most left field connection they've had has been with Stevie G. And why's that? Because he has a profile beyond anyone at spurs. 

Mourinho you're calling as a disaster. From a footballing position he was shite, except he kept spurs alive in social media in a year where their team couldn't and they little appetite to spend a fortune to support him. If mourinho had succeeded that would have been a bonus. All levy was navigating was a period of time to keep his sponsors happy when he was juggling money in the aftermath of the stadium build. 

As for potter, if he was any good in a year where wolves, Everton, palace and Everton are all after managers, nobody has even glanced at him. Because his team is fucking shit. 

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Ultimately we come back to you thinking levy is making a footballing decision 1st and then if you're right your "nuanced" view may come into play. That's not spurs game right now, because if it was even if it wasn't Potter they'd have been linked with, there would be some other left field suggestions. Levy won't be measured on the league position, he will be measured on tweet, instagram followers and all that shite. It's what allows spurs and has since he's been in charge, get sponsorship deals and a profile completely and utterly out of kilter with their achievements on the pitch. 

The most left field connection they've had has been with Stevie G. And why's that? Because he has a profile beyond anyone at spurs. 

Mourinho you're calling as a disaster. From a footballing position he was shite, except he kept spurs alive in social media in a year where their team couldn't and they little appetite to spend a fortune to support him. If mourinho had succeeded that would have been a bonus. All levy was navigating was a period of time to keep his sponsors happy when he was juggling money in the aftermath of the stadium build. 

As for potter, if he was any good in a year where wolves, Everton, palace and Everton are all after managers, nobody has even glanced at him. Because his team is fucking shit. 

I’m not here representing Levy though. Ultimately I don’t really care that much about their achievements and as a Liverpool supporter I’d rather they follow your lead and keep going for big names and failing. I’m not really interested in the social media side of things so I’ll just keep out of the discussion and maintain that Mourinho’s stint with Spurs was an embarrassment. I’m here to talk football and if Spurs wants to progress then IMO Potter would be the smart choice to proceed with. I’m happy that Levy’s line of thinking is in-line with yours, but if I was a Spurs fan I wouldn’t be.

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, aws said:

Please take this to the Potter Forum. 

19 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, give that a spin - y' know?

Like to see someone throw something there - heh....I am kiln it here. Glory glaze.

Oh, potter. Sorry.

Personally, I pronounce it Harry Belafonte. But you two please yourself.

It's strange to see the inhabitants of such a magnificent stadium struggling to appoint a manager and hold on to their best player. There might be a lesson  (or a warning) here for our friends and neighbours who put their faith in the Underpants Gnomes business plan for Bramley Moore Dock.

Stage 1  -  Build new stadium 

Stage 2  -  ?

Stage 3  -  Success!

54 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

No guffaws at the back, Graham Potter would turn down the Spurs job because he wants to manage a top 4 club. Yes, really.

I saw something earlier about that, but just a headline. It's an interesting position. Because most top 4 teams are only looking for new managers when they cease to be in the top 4 unless you're Chelsea and they don't normally hire fellas who are managing sides at the bottom of the premier league. Maybe he thinks after Rice Krispie head, he'll make a refreshing replacement in Salford. 

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

No guffaws at the back, Graham Potter would turn down the Spurs job because he wants to manage a top 4 club. Yes, really.

Riddikulus!