You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inequality

AngryOfTuebrook

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Crap parents? Top local MP. They’ll probably re-elect him as Bolton/Bury seems to be a nest of Tory voting simpletons.

https://news.sky.com/story/crap-parents-behind-struggling-children-tory-mp-james-daly-claims-13038891

'Crap parents' behind struggling children, Tory MP James Daly claims

James Daly, the MP for Bury North, was elected in 2019. He is a member of the "New Conservatives" caucus in Westminster.

A Conservative MP has claimed that most children who struggle in his town are the "products of crap parents".

James Daly, the Tory MP for Bury North, made the claim while speaking to the i newspaper.

He was first elected in 2019 as an MP for the area. Bury North has swapped between Labour and the Conservatives since 1997.

James Frith, the Labour MP who Mr Daly unseated, is aiming to win the seat back at the election set to be called next year. The current majority is just 105.

Mr Daly is a member of the "New Conservatives" group, which includes the likes of Lee Anderson, Jonathan Gullis, Danny Kruger and Miriam Cates.

He worked as a lawyer before entering parliament.

Speaking to the i, Mr Daly said: "I think New Conservatives represent very much working-class conservatism.

"We're not a strange right-wing sect. It's just people who want to give people the best chance to succeed and thrive in life.

"When you think about the family, it's about stability.

"Most of the kids who struggle in Bury are the products of crap parents and so what do we do to try to address that issue?

"On the left it would just be we'll throw money at this and hope something sticks, somebody like me thinks about this more fundamentally."

Mr Frith said: "It is revealing to see how little James Daly thinks of his own constituents.

"Rather than insulting the parenting skills of people in Bury, he should look closer to home.

"Over the last 13 years the Conservatives have failed to grow our economy, protect our public services or provide opportunities for young people in Bury and across the UK."

DvNB7bXXQAIRMTR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Red Shift said:

“The top 100 billionaires can resolve global extreme poverty four times over.”

Assuming the statement to be true, should they? Discuss.

Imagine you had first aid training and a fully stocked first aid kit in your hand and you saw someone bleeding to death in front of you... and you choose to do nothing.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Red Shift said:

“The top 100 billionaires can resolve global extreme poverty four times over.”

Assuming the statement to be true, should they? Discuss.

Unless, of course, you're asking should they resolve it four times over; in which case I'd say once would do.

• Haha 1

Once AI kicks off properly, you'll start seeing billionaires and think tanks talk about the dangers of overpopulation. They'll all have a road to Damascus moment about humanity's impact on the environment.

Musk was bullshitting recently that the future is AI doing every job and us all sat around making art. What he really means is a few thousand, maybe tens of thousands at most, lucky people and everyone else being gradually phased out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Once AI kicks off properly, you'll start seeing billionaires and think tanks talk about the dangers of overpopulation. They'll all have a road to Damascus moment about humanity's impact on the environment.

Musk was bullshitting recently that the future is AI doing every job and us all sat around making art. What he really means is a few thousand, maybe tens of thousands at most, lucky people and everyone else being gradually phased out.

Don’t know if you like podcasts but listened to this recently.

Peter Thiel, Musk and so on worship the book The Sovereign Individual. Rees Mogg’s Dad ouevre.

An emergent cognitive elite. They know shit is hitting the fan and they’re building bunkers in NZ, Thiel is a massive LOTR fan hence Palantir. 

IMG_2708.jpeg

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Don’t know if you like podcasts but listened to this recently.

Peter Thiel, Musk and so on worship the book The Sovereign Individual. Rees Mogg’s Dad ouevre.

An emergent cognitive elite. They know shit is hitting the fan and they’re building bunkers in NZ, Thiel is a massive LOTR fan hence Palantir. 

IMG_2708.jpeg

We’ve all got bunkers in Aotearoa, although mine’s just a shade sail. 

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I guess it all comes down to what’s for sale. A billionaire with a global customer base in say, food, would be quite happy for governments to stump up a UBI and continue to cash in, seeing as being paid to consume is already a thing.

The financial services industry may appear to be healthy but it’s not based on anything tangible and would collapse, being debt based

20 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Hope you’ve got a stash of Speights and pies. 

Went on a world cruise in early 2019 and had not seen a pie for 6 weeks when we landed in Bay of Islands and found a fantastic pie shop there. Had three different pies and a portion of chips and just sat there rubbing my stomach like Winnie the Pooh.

• Upvote 1

I’ll link the article below that features the above YouTube report on how Roblox is exploiting child labor and being massively rewarded for it. Videos about 16 minutes long.

Didn’t know much about Roblox but there’s been a raft of mergers and layoffs across the gaming industry. 

Article is a lengthy read but if you even know a little about how big games like Fortnite and CoD work using in game currency and items it’s quite a revelation. 

https://open.substack.com/pub/peewee/p/the-addiction-economy-seeks-to-create?r=7i95q&utm_medium=ios&utm_campaign=post

• 2 weeks later...