You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

I'm trying to make sure my blood sugar doesn't get too high, which I rather thought was one of the points. Another of the points being that low carb intake reduces food cravings. I would hardly call it starvation either. As I understand it, the most important element above all others is to keep your carb intake low.

I found controlling blood sugar easier with additional exercise and fibre.  TBH diet was the hardest way to control it.  See if exercise and more complex carbs are enough to get you to your goals.

Thanks for the comments and advice, all. With the relatively small amounts I'm eating, and the fact that I seem to be on a relatively "high" amount of carbs (maybe 50-60g per day) it's entirely possible I won't fully enter keto mode anyway. However, I am down about 10lb in just under a fortnight, so whatever I am doing seems to be working.

One thing I've been surprised by is how a low carb diet makes you see food in an entirely different way. "Healthy" options now largely seem anything but.

Thanks for the comments and advice, all. With the relatively small amounts I'm eating, and the fact that I seem to be on a relatively "high" amount of carbs (maybe 50-60g per day) it's entirely possible I won't fully enter keto mode anyway. However, I am down about 10lb in just under a fortnight, so whatever I am doing seems to be working.

One thing I've been surprised by is how a low carb diet makes you see food in an entirely different way. "Healthy" options now largely seem anything but.

The 'fat=bad' myth is one of the most pervasive pieces of misinformation ever.

• Upvote 1

I lilove keto by my 7 year old daughter is so easily influenced and just wants to be like me so it's even harder to sustain. I'm having good luck with intermittent fasting at the moment. Not counting cals. Just eating 2 decent high protein meals between 1-9pm and maybe some light snacks. Most mornings I'm busy pottering about the house getting a organised anyway so she doesn't really notice me not having breakfast. Don't miss breakfast at all. In fact I've been training fasted at 6am sometimes with black coffee and I feel great! Need to shift about 10kg but I'm in no rush as this doesn't feel like a 'diet' and I don't feel like I'm suffering.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a written guide or book recommendations? I managed to shift a lot of weight a few years back but was seriously in danger of making myself ill by eating very little (two chicken breasts a day) so would prefer to have a book or something to follow so I'm a bit more well disciplined.

You can acquire a few books by Lyle McDonald.

There's also a good one on fasting by Dr. Jason Fung (I think). He'll tell you to do a water only fast for a week to reset your body, then start eating "normally". Expect to lose over a stone in the week.

• Upvote 2

Anyone have a written guide or book recommendations? I managed to shift a lot of weight a few years back but was seriously in danger of making myself ill by eating very little (two chicken breasts a day) so would prefer to have a book or something to follow so I'm a bit more well disciplined.

Alright 'medge.

Shoulda mentioned I have those books. If you want to bang me your email addy, I'll send them on.

Not particularly appropriate for Keto but is coconut water beneficial to an healthy diet or just a fad?

Unless you’re making something with it, why not just water? Unless you’re exercising a lot, and need some slightly improved rehydrating abilities, I’d say it’s a waste of cash. It’s got quite a bit of sugar in it too. Not good for Keto

Unless you’re making something with it, why not just water? Unless you’re exercising a lot, and need some slightly improved rehydrating abilities, I’d say it’s a waste of cash. It’s got quite a bit of sugar in it too. Not good for Keto

Real coconut water (vs. milk or cream) has very little sugar and has low calories.  Although, I'm sure once the food processing industry gets hold of it t that changes.  The brands I get over here are all Haitan/South American etc and they tend to be less fucked about with.  It makes a nice change, but most of the fad is fueled by hopeful conjecture rather than science.

• Upvote 1

I ain't bothered about Keto I just count calories. I just wonder if it provides a good balance of nutrients.

I ain't bothered about Keto I just count calories. I just wonder if it provides a good balance of nutrients.

It’s okay, yeah. It’s not a miracle as some jarg web blogs would have you believe. One ounce (you’re recommended to drink around 64oz per day) of coconut water has 1.3 grams of sugar in it, which vs something like a sports drink or energy drink probably seems fine, which is why I mentioned exercise. It has decent amounts of potassium.

I mean, I personally don’t think it’s worth paying for. But it’s certainly not going to be a terrible thing. It’s not some wonder health product though. Like Rotpeter says above, lots of things said about it are... hopeful.

• Upvote 1

It’s okay, yeah. It’s not a miracle as some jarg web blogs would have you believe. One ounce (you’re recommended to drink around 64oz per day) of coconut water has 1.3 grams of sugar in it, which vs something like a sports drink or energy drink probably seems fine, which is why I mentioned exercise. It has decent amounts of potassium.

I mean, I personally don’t think it’s worth paying for. But it’s certainly not going to be a terrible thing. It’s not some wonder health product though. Like Rotpeter says above, lots of things said about it are... hopeful.

I only get it when I get a tesco meal deal, Hoisin Wrap, bag of fruit and coconut water for £3. The coconut water alone should cost £2.40.

Ah, in which case it’ll do no harm and no particular benefit outside the water content and a few vitamins and electrolytes.

I go running quite a lot so I want to maintain good hydration but its a good change to drinking water all the time. I have tried keto in the past but found it doesn't suit me.

I go running quite a lot so I want to maintain good hydration but its a good change to drinking water all the time. I have tried keto in the past but found it doesn't suit me.

Yeah. It’s great for me for two weeks, then I eat pizza, cake, bread, like it’s going out of fashion.

Alright 'medge.

Shoulda mentioned I have those books. If you want to bang me your email addy, I'll send them on.

Nice one Lario, don't mind if I do. I'll send you a PM later. I'll pay for postage and something for them and/or a donation to a charity of your choosing.

So... smoothies. I always worry about the amount of fructose in those. I’ve not seen anything solid in terms of scientific papers or articles from nutritionists about the impact on blood sugar and insulin, any views?

I am of the opinion that if you are an healthy individual and not an competitive athlete, then you can read far too much into nutrition. As long as you eat the right foods and exercise you will feel/look better than a vast majority of the population.

• Upvote 1

So... smoothies. I always worry about the amount of fructose in those. I’ve not seen anything solid in terms of scientific papers or articles from nutritionists about the impact on blood sugar and insulin, any views?

I wouldn't touch store bought stuff, but surely it depends on what you use.  My berry smoothies don't move my blood sugar at all.

I am of the opinion that if you are an healthy individual and not an competitive athlete, then you can read far too much into nutrition. As long as you eat the right foods and exercise you will feel/look better than a vast majority of the population.

I think you’re probably right, mate.