You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

Well I'm not an expert in the markets, like you. I know I had to pay a deposit on a villa in April and the exchange on the euro was 1.18 and today it is 1.19. Not the end of the world and markets recover, it was always going to cause uncertainty, thats what change does.

I mean seriously. 

Check out fuel prices in the coming weeks. Then energy bills and food

Genuinely baffled by this narrative that's emerged that the old have ruined the future for the young.

What future? How has leaving the EU given you 9k student fees, destroyed pensions or worker rights?

This is the most docile generation of young people I've ever seen. Universities used to be hives of activism both social and political, don't blame pensions because you're all too busy wandering around coffee shops taking selfies and thinking you understand the world because you spent six weeks in fucking Byron Bay.

Astounded by how quickly they have backtracked on the promises they made in order to win the votes. Less than 24 hrs and it's "yeah we lied about that" makes you think is all they really wanted was more freedom to completely fuck over the working classes rights and carve up the country.

They weren't and aren't in a position to make policy though, I'm genuinely baffled by how people think they are. They were the faces of a one issue campaign, voting in that result did not mean you were electing them to office or giving them a mandate to enact policy.
  • Upvote 1

Looks like Cornwall council misled their people prior to the vote now panicking.

The Cornish council has issued a plea for “protection” following the United Kingdom’s vote to leave the European Union.

But a statement on the council website posted on Friday said prior to the referendum said the county was reassured by the Leave side that withdrawing from the EU would not affect the funding already allocated by Brussels.

Leave campaigners also promised the county would not be worse off in terms of the investment it receives. “We are seeking urgent confirmation from Ministers that this is the case,” the statement added.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-cornwall-issues-plea-for-funding-protection-after-county-overwhelmingly-votes-in-favour-of-a7101311.html

Genuinely baffled by this narrative that's emerged that the old have ruined the future for the young.What future? How has leaving the EU given you 9k student fees, destroyed pensions or worker rights?This is the most docile generation of young people I've ever seen. Universities used to be hives of activism both social and political, don't blame pensions because you're all too busy wandering around coffee shops taking selfies and thinking you understand the world because you spent six weeks in fucking Byron Bay.

Loads of UK students studying over here. It's a much cheaper option. It's an option that's just been removed.
  • Upvote 1

The old cunts keep voting Tory, to be fair.

That's a gripe I can get behind.

ALL the problems of this country are a result of voting in Tory governments.

People are crying the blues because they see the EU as some kind of safety net to protect them from said Tories, yet by inaction or action have allowed these scum to bed in an start dismantling the place.

The EU shouldn't have HAD to build infrastructure in the North of England, our own government should have done it. The EU shouldn't HAVE to protect working hours, we should be out on the streets fighting for it.

This is the laziest non political electorate I've ever seen. How many of these whinging cunts have been on the news in the past crying the blues because their kids' teacher has taken a strike day? How many slag off people on benefits? How many didn't vote for labour because of the way Ed Miliband ate a bacon sandwich?

Now they're effectively crying because they think they've allowed the poor to dispense with something they felt was a last line of defence against a 30-year-old neo liberal gollum they'd stood by and helped create with their I'm alright jack bullshit. Fuck them.

Loads of UK students studying over here. It's a much cheaper option. It's an option that's just been removed.

Has it? How so? Liverpool is full of Chinese students. On any given afternoon Mount Pleasant looks like the Man in the High Castle.

That's a gripe I can get behind.

ALL the problems of this country are a result of voting in Tory governments.

People are crying the blues because they see the EU as some kind of safety net to protect them from said Tories, yet by inaction or action have allowed these scum to bed in an start dismantling the place.

The EU shouldn't have HAD to build infrastructure in the North of England, our own government should have done it. The EU shouldn't HAVE to protect working hours, we should be out on the streets fighting for it.

This is the laziest non political electorate I've ever seen. How many of these whinging cunts have been on the news in the past crying the blues because their kids' teacher has taken a strike day? How many slag off people on benefits? How many didn't vote for labour because of the way Ed Miliband ate a bacon sandwich?

Now they're effectively crying because they think they've allowed the poor to dispense with something they felt was a last line of defence against a 30-year-old neo liberal gollum they'd stood by and helped create with their I'm alright jack bullshit. Fuck them.

One thing I simply can't get my head round is Tories that voted remain now having a cry.

Looks like Cornwall council misled their people prior to the vote now panicking.

The Cornish council has issued a plea for “protection” following the United Kingdom’s vote to leave the European Union.

But a statement on the council website posted on Friday said prior to the referendum said the county was reassured by the Leave side that withdrawing from the EU would not affect the funding already allocated by Brussels.

Leave campaigners also promised the county would not be worse off in terms of the investment it receives. “We are seeking urgent confirmation from Ministers that this is the case,” the statement added.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-cornwall-issues-plea-for-funding-protection-after-county-overwhelmingly-votes-in-favour-of-a7101311.html

It won't be just Cornwall. I imagine most of South Wales is currently shitting it at the loss of EU funding, despite the fact they overwhelmingly voted leave.

Personally, if any area deserves to have its future EU funding matched it's us. At least we fucking voted to keep it.

• Upvote 1

They weren't and aren't in a position to make policy though, I'm genuinely baffled by how people think they are. They were the faces of a one issue campaign, voting in that result did not mean you were electing them to office or giving them a mandate to enact policy.

Sadly I think subconsciously many (not all) leavers did vote as though they were voting for a political party.The Leave Party, and they interpreted the 'let's give the NHS more money' as a policy not a suggestion.

Technically, the leave politicians are correct in saying they never promised anything, but they certainly exploited the public misperception.

Many leavers believe they've voted to close the borders, but they've not voted for any party who has promised to do that. 

Genuinely baffled by this narrative that's emerged that the old have ruined the future for the young. What future? How has leaving the EU given you 9k student fees, destroyed pensions or worker rights? This is the most docile generation of young people I've ever seen. Universities used to be hives of activism both social and political, don't blame pensions because you're all too busy wandering around coffee shops taking selfies and thinking you understand the world because you spent six weeks in fucking Byron Bay.

The invective is amazing isnt it? The 'young' people especially on here dont seem to realise you may have children who are 20 somethings (or aged less) and dont have any regard for their futures. What crap.

People can and will still be able to travel to Europe, study in Europe, work in Europe.

Do you really think all the people that voted for them knew that?

It's around twenty four hours on and my emotions have changed from anger to an irreconcilible sadness.

First off, I understand the criticisms of the EU. I'm not a massive fan of them either myself as an organisation. I think their treatment of the southern European countries has been abysmal and, similarly, am uncomfortable with the lack of accountability inherent in such structures. It's an organisation that needs massive reform. If we were a country with a strong sense of social justice with a mainstream (obviously key given the media's framing of any debate) left wing tradition and a culture of polticial dialogue, I could easily have voted leave. However, it's not a decision you can make in isolation. Like everything, climate and context is key and I feel this country has just made a decision to plunge itself back into the Victorian era.

The central concern for me in all of this and the main reason why I voted to remain was because of the enshrined workers' and human rights. You had Theresa Viliers on C4 News last night talking of 'reform' to the human rights act and it sent a chill down my spine. I'm genuinely fearful as to where this country is heading and my post on the 'where are you emigrating to?' thread was not in jest. I have a year left of my PhD and once that is done, I'm out of here. Like fuck I'm going to work for a university over here that will have its funding cut drastically, along with any other worthwhile benefits.

The thing that has struck me on the leave side is the arrogance and sense of entitlement that permeates all levels of debate. John Mann was on The Last Leg last night and condescendingly brushed off a concern by going "The Germans will still want to sell us cars." True, but at what cost? Divorces are naturally messy and concessions are made by both sides. Nobody walks away from one with their demands met and their sense of being intact. This is going to be very costly, protracted and messy, and we could realistically end up with a similar deal to Norway; paying through the nose, in excess of your membership just for a seat at the table. The idea that we can simply waltz up because we're Britain and take what we want after flicking them the V's is fanciful and anachronistic.

Of course, this has manifested differently the further down society you go. Some of the rhetoric has been terrifying and the scenes akin to watching England score a goal at the Euros. It's just bewildering how so many have been going about 'taking control' because we're Britain and we don't get talked down to by Johnny Foreigner, putting the 'Great' back into 'Great Britain'; absolute empty nonsense. Immigration has obviously been the factor that has underpinned the Leave win, but it's been allowed to escalate to the extent where it's a single plaster covering a multitude of wounds. You make the point the overarching political structure in this country is at odds with public investment, the building of council houses, schools and hospitals, and it doesn't register. It's still all the fault of the immigrants. The issue has transcended the concept of political football and it's become a political tournament, seeping its way into every single debate regardless of facts or ideology, distorted in a multitude of ways to act as a scapegoat for every single ill in this country.

I wonder what these folks will make when there are no decreases in net migration as Daniel Hannah conceded, along with fuck all in terms of homes, schools and hospitals being built. I wonder that bloke in Barnsley will think when the Muslims from those EU strongholds of Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Bangladesh are still coming into the country.

On a symbolic level, that's where most of my sadness stems from. It just feels incredibly regressive in an ever interconnected world. I'm part of a generation that grew up with cheap and easy travel and I feel it's benefited me in making me a more open-minded and well-rounded person. I speak to my parents, both of whom never stepped foot on a plane until they were 18, and they think the opportunities my generation in terms of living, working and studying abroad, even as far as going away on a cheap weekend abroad, is nothing short of fantastic. It feels as if we've rejected all of this for insularity; a decision borne out of fear, suspicion and hate.

It's the 18-24s I feel for most. Yesterday, I thought of my mate's little brother. He turned 18 towards the back end of last year and is off to university this September. He should have the world at his feet, and I can't help feel that his future has been sold short by an older generation, who were given everything by a post-war government (arguably the most progressive one we've ever had in this country), yet have never shied from raising the drawbridge. The point I made about connectivity- it's even more applicable to that generation, and all of that has been hindered and compromised by a people with outdated, out-of-touch views of the world and this country. Quite frankly, it's disgraceful; callous and selfish in equal measure.

As I said, this whole thing is just so profoundly sad. It's really shown the worst of this country.

• Upvote 3

Has it? How so? Liverpool is full of Chinese students. On any given afternoon Mount Pleasant looks like the Man in the High Castle.

A bizarre comparison.

Tuition fees here are 1400 quid as opposed to 9000 in the UK. It works out at about half the price to do a degree as in the UK. Leaving the EU will take away this opportunity.

http://www.studyinholland.co.uk/a_comparison_of_costs_in_uk_and_netherlands.html

The invective is amazing isnt it? The 'young' people especially on here dont seem to realise you may have children who are 20 somethings (or aged less) and dont have any regard for their futures. What crap.

People can and will still be able to travel to Europe, study in Europe, work in Europe.

The first will obviously clearly apply. The latter two will certainly see huge changes.

The first will obviously clearly apply. The latter two will certainly see huge changes.

So you're suggesting Universities in Europe will no longer accept UK students? I dont think so. Even the uK still accepts foreign students in Universities.

You're also suggesting UK people wont be able to work in Europe? Sure, there wont be the 'free movement' element and you may have to do a bit more paperwork to be able to do it but it isnt going to be stopped.

So you're suggesting Universities in Europe will no longer accept UK students? I dont think so. Even the uK still accepts foreign students in Universities.

You're also suggesting UK people wont be able to work in Europe? Sure, there wont be the 'free movement' element and you may have to do a bit more paperwork to be able to do it but it isnt going to be stopped.

It won't be stopped, but it will probably be a factor in recruitment. If it's going to take the British guy 6 weeks to get approval to work in Germany but the Italian guy can start on Monday, it can make a difference. 

But it cuts both ways of course, If that Italian guy wants a job in the UK but it'll take 6 weeks to approve him, then the British guy is already at an advantage.

Any suggestion that someone simply won't be able to get a job in Europe is nonsense though. The firms want the best guy for the job, and unless significant obstacles are put in place by the governments, the firms will carry on. If they REALLY want someone badly, they'll wait 6 weeks for him.

It won't be stopped, but it will probably be a factor in recruitment. If it's going to take the British guy 6 weeks to get approval to work in Germany but the Italian guy can start on Monday, it can make a difference. 

But it cuts both ways of course, If that Italian guy wants a job in the UK but it'll take 6 weeks to approve him, then the British guy is already at an advantage.

Any suggestion that someone simply won't be able to get a job in Europe is nonsense though. The firms want the best guy for the job, and unless significant obstacles are put in place by the governments, the firms will carry on. If they REALLY want someone badly, they'll wait 6 weeks for him.

Strange, in my experience, company recruitment is based on who's the best candidate not who can start the quickest although the latter does happen. In cases Ive seen where the quickest to start candidate has been selected, the recruiter has then generally regretted the decision and had to bin that 'quicker starter' off.