You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

He's being called thick for completely misunderstanding basic economics and trying to patronise people while he's doing it. The thick cunt.

Oh dear, you don't understand forums do you?

Do this forever and, hey presto, you're great at debating.

• Upvote 1

He's arguing that a low value pound is good for exports - and it IS - everybody on here agrees.

He's just not grasping that it's bad for imports, and since we import twice as much as we export, it's not good for us overall. I doubt anybody else needed that to be explained.

His raw materials diatribe is weird, it has zero relevance.

You're straw manning.

If the pound drops by 10%, our exports become 10% cheaper for countries buying from us and our imports become 10% more expensive.

Since we are spending twice as much in imports as we bring in for exports..

The goods we USED to sell at 100.00 now become 110.00 - jolly good

The goods we USED to buy at 200.00 now become 220.00 - jolly bad

Our trade deficit now changed from -100.00 to -110.00 and our debt level increases.

It doesn't matter what we are importing or exporting, raw materials or finished products. We buy more than we sell.

You can't argue with the maths. 

...and that's before our national credit rating is reduced and we face a bigger struggle to service the deficit.

yes, and it's actually worse than that, I just simplified the maths for illustration purposes...

When the exporter who used to sell his product for 100.00 gets paid, the buyer doesn't actually give him 110.00, he still gets the 100.00, it's just cheaper for the buyer. Of course, that might stimulate the buyer to buy more product, or new buyers to now start buying, if they don't buy more product, the exporter sees no gain.

... and then you need to factor in that any exports to the EU may well attract import tariffs in future, making the goods more expensive and therefore less attractive to the export market, yet without providing any additional income to the manufacturer from whatever sales they do make despite the higher end price.

There's no reason based in logic that the EU are just going to say 'yeah you fucked us off but come on, continue to trade with us under exactly the same terms as before.'  Which is the point that the deputy MD of Toyota UK was making in that Guardian piece.

That's without even getting into the fact that European vehicle safety standards are still going to have to be met for any export vehicles despite the UK having responsibility for its own standards after Brexit, giving rise to a potential diversification of standards.  That brings attendant problems (i.e. costs) in manufacturing vehicles with differing designs on a single assembly line since meeting safety standards is a prime driver of vehicle design.

http://blogs.ft.com/ftdata/2016/06/24/brexit-demographic-divide-eu-referendum-results/

A good breakdown of the voting

Basically it was down to education and age

The less education you had the more likely you were to vote for Brexit

The older you are the more likely you were to vote Brexit

I don;t know how we move forward from this. It's easy to mention thick bastards and baby boomer selfish twats but what to do with them?

http://blogs.ft.com/ftdata/2016/06/24/brexit-demographic-divide-eu-referendum-results/

I don;t know how we move forward from this. It's easy to mention thick bastards and baby boomer selfish twats but what to do with them?

your parents must be really proud of you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh I don't know, stop them from voting perhaps? I'll let you and your fellow intelligentsia work on the finer details just as long as brain boxes like you get to decide things without these thick selfish bastards chirping up, that should be swell.

Oh I don't know, stop them from voting perhaps? I'll let you and your fellow intelligentsia work on the finer details just as long as brain boxes like you get to decide things without these thick selfish bastards chirping up, that should be swell.

Not my point at all

Why is there such a big gap between the old and the young and how can we make it better?

How did it come to this that there is such a big gap between the haves and have nots and how do we make it better?

My Dad is not stupid by any stretch of the imagination but he left school at 14 and is 79

By all means enjoy your high horse; God knows moral justification's thin on the ground today

Not my point at all

Why is there such a big gap between the old and the young and how can we make it better?

How did it come to this that there is such a big gap between the haves and have nots and how do we make it better?

My Dad is not stupid by any stretch of the imagination but he left school at 14 and is 79

By all means enjoy your high horse; God knows moral justification's thin on the ground today

I'm not the one on a high horse, I'm not the one calling people thick.