You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World Snooker Championship 2015

The Golden Eel

Used to love the snooker. Probably 10 or even 15 or so years ago, but I loved it. Whenever it was on BBC2 I'd get home from School and stick it straight on.

Genuinely don't know if it's my mind playing tricks, or if it's actually the case, but it just seems like snooker's fallen right off the radar.

There was the shitty LG Cup in Preston, the UK Open just before Christmas, the Masters in Feb and the you'd get the World Championships at the end of April. I loved it, it seemed like they were events. They'd get a bit of coverage in the papers, a bit on the news.

There seemed like players with personalities. In fact, personalities might be the wrong word, but it seemed like they were 'names'. Hendry, Higgins, Docherty, O'Sullivan, Williams, Hunter. I could probably name the top 16 from back then and give you a bit of colour about what the players were like.

Now it just doesn't seem the same. I don't know if it is genuinely in the papers less and it's falling off the radar; or if I've got rose-tinted specs on, thinking back to watching the snooker with my brothers when we got home from School, before we had to do shit like 'get jobs'. Though I'm sure I read a year or so ago that the viewing figures on the BBC were as good as they'd been for five or six years and I know Hearn's put a lot of effort into it...

Thoughts?

Used to love the snooker. Probably 10 or even 15 or so years ago, but I loved it. Whenever it was on BBC2 I'd get home from School and stick it straight on.

Genuinely don't know if it's my mind playing tricks, or if it's actually the case, but it just seems like snooker's fallen right off the radar.

There was the shitty LG Cup in Preston, the UK Open just before Christmas, the Masters in Feb and the you'd get the World Championships at the end of April. I loved it, it seemed like they were events. They'd get a bit of coverage in the papers, a bit on the news.

There seemed like players with personalities. In fact, personalities might be the wrong word, but it seemed like they were 'names'. Hendry, Higgins, Docherty, O'Sullivan, Williams, Hunter. I could probably name the top 16 from back then and give you a bit of colour about what the players were like.

Now it just doesn't seem the same. I don't know if it is genuinely in the papers less and it's falling off the radar; or if I've got rose-tinted specs on, thinking back to watching the snooker with my brothers when we got home from School, before we had to do shit like 'get jobs'. Though I'm sure I read a year or so ago that the viewing figures on the BBC were as good as they'd been for five or six years and I know Hearn's put a lot of effort into it...

Thoughts?

I wouldn't say it's fallen off the radar, quite the opposite, but perhaps the mainstream appetite for it isn't quite there like it was before.  There's more tournaments now than ever and they're pretty much all live on Eurosport.  I'd actually go as far as saying that, for a hardcore fan like myself, the amount of tournaments, certainly at certain times, has reached saturation point.  The BBC shows all the same tournaments you mentioned and ITV actually has a couple now too.   So, in terms of actual amount of snooker, there's far more nowadays.  Also the game expanding to China, where there are are several ranking tournaments now.  Saying that, the promised flood of players from China coming through never materialised.

As for the thing about personalities, it's something a lot of people complain about.  I'm not really sure it's much different tbh.  Some of the top players in the world at the minute could be considered a bit dull, I guess, like Selby, Robertson, even Ding, etc.  Ronnie obviously is still star of the show and rightly so.  Perhaps cone thing that's changed is that the standard overall is higher and hence it could be perceived to be less, how shall i put it, entertaining, as more frames are won with big breaks, etc, leaving less scope for to and froing.  Though again, I'm not sure that would stack up to actual scrutiny.

My conclusion is that you just don't like snooker as much as you used to, for whatever reason. 

What I can't stand about modern snooker is why have they all got shitty nicknames is it to try and give them a personality?

Dominic Dale- The Spaceman

Shaun Murphy - The Whiston Warrior

Barry Hawkins- The Hawk (brilliant that one)

Judd Trump - The Ace

Stephen McGuire - The Merlin of Milton

Ken Doherty - Darlin of Dublin or Crafty Ken

Barry Pinches - The Canarian

And the worst one Mark Selby - The jester from Leicester....saw him getting interviewed the other day he has the personality of a snooker ball...so fuck knows where they got that from?

Now Stephen Lee has been banned, Murphy has taken over the role of he who looks like he constantly has doughnut residue on his chops.

Robertson is a haircut 4000 wanker.

At least that tedious human smear test Doherty isn't in it, though still finds a way to ruin it with his commentary.

Mark Allen needs his face forced into a blender, the jumped up cuntaxe.

• Upvote 1