You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What is our best eleven?

an tha

Did you think he was the second best player in the league last year, Skaro?

It was just an observation, Jairz.

I do think he played a significant role in our 15-3-1 finish to last season, though.

And, yes, that if in two games since then, he is no longer in our best XI that is a reasonably drastic come down.

It was just an observation, Jairz.

I do think he played a significant role in our 15-3-1 finish to last season, though.

And, yes, that if in two games since then, he is no longer in our best XI that is a reasonably drastic come down.

No, I know, but I don't think he was even our second best player last year. I agree he had a very good second half of the season.

As cmuller says above, I don't think we get enough from him to warrant others having to do his running. I don't like having a deep lying playmaker in his mid 30s as our deepest midfielder, I don't believe it'll work long term.

He plays in a pivotal position at the moment, because of how Rodgers chooses to set up. We press, at times, from the front. But once opponents have got through/round our two midfielders ahead of Gerrard they face a player that isn't capable, understandably, of shielding the back four. In much the same way Pirlo or Alonso wouldn't be able to either.

Said it before, but its an incredibly difficult situation for Rodgers. He'll have to be the manager that drops Gerrard, and I think it'll be sooner than perhaps many anticipated.

• Upvote 2

I don't think there is a specific best XI. Which is a result of us having a squad now, compared to last season. It will also depend on the opposition on any given match day.

One thing is for certain: Brendao needs to sort out his back four, the sooner the better.

He also has a massive task in how to handle the Gerrard situation.

Isn't it what we do though? Don't we write off Gerrard every year and then sing his praises again once he reverts back to form. He's a slow starter these days and we shouldn't be looking at more than one game a week from him this season.

Who are "we"?

I don't think many people were, or even are, writing off Gerrard.

I think the main problem would be whether will we be playing both Sturridge and Balotelli at the same time or not.

If so, how are they going to partner each other. Who should be the one dropping back like Suarez used to do.

Mingo

Flanno, Lovren, Sahko, Moreno

Gerrard, Hendo, Lallana

Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho

Then go diamond to freshen it up when needed taking Gerrard and Couthinho out with Can and Balotelli in

Mingo

Flanno, Lovren, Sahko, Moreno

Can

Hendo Lallana

Sterling

Sturridge, Balotelli

And that's why I'm not a footy manager.

Mingo

Manquillo   Skrt   Lovr   Moreno

Gerrard

Hendo                Allen

Raheem

Sturridge             Mario

Worries -- cover for Ming and Stevie; otherwise well covered with likes of Sakho, Coutinho, Lallana, Markovic. Would love a goalie and midfielder in the next few days.

The anonymous collective 'we'. It happens every year, you only have to listen to City Talk or Talkshite to hear our fans, the vocal minority, slagging off Stevie. Oh, and you.

Does it include...

yer ma?

• Upvote 2

We have a fairly unusual problem in that we have a more than decent squad , but very few definite starters in the 1st eleven.

I would only put Sterling & Sturridge in that category, with Henderson very close & Mignolet there through lack of competition ( Stevie would obviously have been there a couple of years back ).

We have bought 9 players but not really solved our main problems & you could argue that of the 5 defensive positions, we bought replacements for our 2 most well covered of the 5 and did nothing with the other 3.

I am a bit old-fashioned & while I appreciate a stronger squad this year , I would be happier knowing who are our number 1's in most positions are.

No, I know, but I don't think he was even our second best player last year. I agree he had a very good second half of the season.

As cmuller says above, I don't think we get enough from him to warrant others having to do his running. I don't like having a deep lying playmaker in his mid 30s as our deepest midfielder, I don't believe it'll work long term.

He plays in a pivotal position at the moment, because of how Rodgers chooses to set up. We press, at times, from the front. But once opponents have got through/round our two midfielders ahead of Gerrard they face a player that isn't capable, understandably, of shielding the back four. In much the same way Pirlo or Alonso wouldn't be able to either.

Said it before, but its an incredibly difficult situation for Rodgers. He'll have to be the manager that drops Gerrard, and I think it'll be sooner than perhaps many anticipated.

You could well be right and, as I said, from a very good second half of the season captaining us to second, to potentially already not being in our best XI after two games in the new season is a hell of a come down.

If this is indeed the case, then Rodgers and perhaps Gerrard should have made the decision over the summer to move on. 

Personally, I think it might be a harsh assessment of the first two games.

Are others suddenly doing the running for him, or were they already doing it in last season's run-in?

If the answer is yes to both, and he's only there for corners, pens and free-kicks, then making him captain for another tilt at the title is going to prove a very, very awkward call indeed.

(And does he still have money in the bank as an inspiration/talisman?)

If you, and others, are right... then one way or the other this has all the hallmarks of not being a good look.

Because if we are serious about going close to all the way again, that call will probably need to come, as you say, earlier rather than later.

Are others suddenly doing the running for him, or were they already doing it in last season's run-in?

If the answer is yes to both, and he's only there for corners, pens and free-kicks, then making him captain for another tilt at the title is going to prove a very, very awkward call indeed.

They were. Henderson's red card in the run-in was a massive factor for us, I think we might have won the league without it.

I think that, aside from buying a new DM, that we should look to be retraining Henderson to perform the DM role. In tandem with this, bring Coutinho back and get him accustomed to playing deeper. That would give us the passing/creative midfield slot to any of Allen, Coutinho or Lallana, and a defensive midfield choice of Henderson, Can or *mumbles* Gerrard.

Allen is a terrible choice for any creative role in the side. Seriously...he is a water carrier/tempo maker who simply spazzes out once he sniffs the opposition penalty area.

But we do need more options at DM. I'd prefer us to ditch Allen and bring in a proper DM, rather than try to manufacture one.