You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What is acceptable after 19 games of our PL season?

Code

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Fans these days are just a joke. Seriously, just listen to yourselves. some of you are falling over yourselves to compare him with Hodgson, some want him sacked after five months, some glossing over the side he took over, some slamming him for signings which haven't had a chance to play due to injury.

Nobody is asking you to be pleased with where the club is at the moment, but you can stop pretending that it's Rodgers' fault we're in this mess. You can give him a little time and more than two major signings to turn around a side which earned 15 points in the 19 games directly before he took over, losing 11 and drawing 3 of them. You could give him time to get replacements for the four of our top six scorers which have now left. You could think, just for a second, about how long it takes to turn around a side lime that and implement his plan.

Guest davelfc
Fans these days are just a joke. Seriously, just listen to yourselves. some of you are falling over yourselves to compare him with Hodgson, some want him sacked after five months, some glossing over the side he took over, some slamming him for signings which haven't had a chance to play due to injury.

Nobody is asking you to be pleased with where the club is at the moment, but you can stop pretending that it's Rodgers' fault we're in this mess. You can give him a little time and more than two major signings to turn around a side which earned 15 points in the 19 games directly before he took over, losing 11 and drawing 3 of them. You could give him time to get replacements for the four of our top six scorers which have now left. You could think, just for a second, about how long it takes to turn around a side lime that and implement his plan.

Some good points, how fans can compare Rogers with Hodgson is behind me, I mean Hodgson had actually achieved something before he came here, he's now the England manager. Ok, I'm joking, Hodgson was a twat of a man and I couldn't wait to see him thrown out of the door.

Hank you're entitled to your opinion as much as the next person, I agree with most of what you have said, I just don't see how you can impose that on others.

The only way some will change their minds is through results, and that could take a little longer than most want. We live in a world of now, now, now, a world that demands we change our £500 phones every year for no good reason. We play in a league that demands results now, basically run by a channel that perpetuates this 'now, now, now' attitude. So suddenly asking for rational thought is not going to work.

You'll be pleased to know that no amount of posting on a football forum will get Rogers sacked, so back off. He will get at least until the end of the season and barring a major disaster at least another season after that.

While you're asking fans to be patient and give him time, I ask you to do the same with those demanding his head, well maybe two people. You can do that for me can't you?

It is fair to point out the equation that Roy and Kenny lost their jobs after half a season's worth of poor results, so what makes Rodgers different?

I think the answer is that expectation levels have now been lowered and a rookie manager will need more time. Just as many underestimate ther chaos that confronted Hodgson upon arrival, so the impact of kenny's poor signings is only now fully being realised.

Now we are in a situation where is is less about the man, and more about the job which needs to be done.

It is fair to point out the equation that Roy and Kenny lost their jobs after half a season's worth of poor results, so what makes Rodgers different?

I think the answer is that expectation levels have now been lowered and a rookie manager will need more time. Just as many underestimate ther chaos that confronted Hodgson upon arrival, so the impact of kenny's poor signings is only now fully being realised.

Now we are in a situation where is is less about the man, and more about the job which needs to be done.

Yes that's fair enough but then as supporters we've watched a club downgrade expectations for the last four years.

Even allowing for his rookie status there will and should be an acceptable level of performance. What's acceptable under the current circumstances? Bottom half finish? Relegation candidates? Relegation to the Championship?

I'd suggest with the squad available to him a realistic position is probably around 7th/8th. We've spent most of the season in the lower half of the league and have briefly hit the giddy heights of 8th place.

I know it's a difficult situation but there are numerous clubs above us doing far better with weaker squads, less money and no discernible philosophy beyond winning.

Looking beyond results what's concerned me is simply the lack of fight or motivation within the team. Even if we're in the Blue Square league I'd expect a Liverpool side to go out and give their all. Watching us being out fought by Stoke was appalling.

He isn't delivering that at the moment.

Yes that's fair enough but then as supporters we've watched a club downgrade expectations for the last four years.

Even allowing for his rookie status there will and should be an acceptable level of performance. What's acceptable under the current circumstances? Bottom half finish? Relegation candidates? Relegation to the Championship?

I'd suggest with the squad available to him a realistic position is probably around 7th/8th. We've spent most of the season in the lower half of the league and have briefly hit the giddy heights of 8th place.

I know it's a difficult situation but there are numerous clubs above us doing far better with weaker squads, less money and no discernible philosophy beyond winning.

Looking beyond results what's concerned me is simply the lack of fight or motivation within the team. Even if we're in the Blue Square league I'd expect a Liverpool side to go out and give their all. Watching us being out fought by Stoke was appalling.

He isn't delivering that at the moment.

All fair comment.

I think that FSG would settle for a modest improvement in league position with EL qualification but no net spend and a reduction in the wage bill.

A particular problem we have is that in the likes of Carra, Reina and Gerrard we have three excellent players whose hopes recently had been of league title and CL tilts, who are now disillusioned that they will never experience that with us. Your point about motivation was well made.