You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Code

Rafa:

04/05: 17 games, 6 games lost, 25 points, finish 58 points.

05/06: 17 games, 2 games lost, 37 points, finish 82 points.

06/07: 17 games, 5 games lost, 28 points, finish 68 points.

07/08: 17 games, 2 games lost, 33 points, finish 76 points.

08/09: 17 games, 1 game lost, 38 points, finish 86 points.

09/10: 17 games, 6 games lost, 27 points, finish 63 points.

Roy:

10/11: 17 games, 7 games lost, 22 points.

Kenny:

11/12: 17 games, 3 games lost, 30 points.

My point is that even if we dont get the goals to finish of our opponents at the moment we dont lose many games either.

Whenever we have had as few as just 3 losses at this stage of the season we have never finished below 75 points since the PL changed with the russians money.

75 points will easily give us 4th and soon our captain and best player is back.

People should keep the faith, the race for 3rd and 4th is wide open and with our obvious problems we are still fully in it, just imagine what will happen when we start to score goals.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixture list looks tough to me:

Fixtures

Friday, 30 December 2011

Barclays Premier League

Liverpool v Newcastle, 19:45

Tuesday, 3 January 2012

Barclays Premier League

Man City v Liverpool, 20:00

Friday, 6 January 2012

The FA Cup

Liverpool v Oldham, R3, 20:00

Wednesday, 11 January 2012

Carling Cup

Man City v Liverpool, SF, L1, 19:45

Saturday, 14 January 2012

Barclays Premier League

Liverpool v Stoke, 15:00

Saturday, 21 January 2012

Barclays Premier League

Bolton v Liverpool, 17:30

Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Carling Cup

Liverpool v Man City, SF, L2, 19:45

Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Barclays Premier League

Wolverhampton v Liverpool, 19:45

Monday, 6 February 2012

Barclays Premier League

Liverpool v Tottenham, 20:00

Saturday, 11 February 2012

Barclays Premier League

Man Utd v Liverpool, 12:45

Saturday, 25 February 2012

Barclays Premier League

Liverpool v Everton, 12:45

Saturday, 3 March 2012

Barclays Premier League

Liverpool v Arsenal, 15:00

Saturday, 10 March 2012

Barclays Premier League

Sunderland v Liverpool, 15:00

Saturday, 17 March 2012

Barclays Premier League

QPR v Liverpool, 15:00

This month and April are our two easiest months. Fixing our finishing has obviously come too late to capitalize on this month.

If a team is going to fall-off it typically happens at this time of year. Let's hope for lots of injuries and such like to all our fellow contenders, because that is where we are.

The point about not losing can't be emphasized enough IMO. The performance of our defence this year, even after we've ratcheted up the attacking play leaving them isolated and after we lost our best DM has been outstanding, superlative really, and says that while this year we may fail because of the gears not quite meshing, pretty soon it will be a very different story.

Any idea what position we were in after the same amount of games in each season?

We must've been scoring more goals in the previous seasons.

We had scored more in every of the listed seasons, but a position around 5-6 like now was not unusual.

Rafa:

04/05: 6- 17 games, 6 games lost, 25-19, 25 p, finish 58 p.

05/06: 3- 17 games, 2 games lost, 25-9, 37 p, finish 82 p.

06/07: 5- 17 games, 5 games lost, 23-15, 28 p, finish 68 p.

07/08: 5- 17 games, 2 games lost, 31-11, 33 p, finish 76 p.

08/09: 1- 17 games, 1 game lost, 26-11, 38 p, finish 86 p.

09/10: 6- 17 games, 6 games lost, 34-23, 27 p, finish 63 p.

Roy:

10/11: 9- 17 games, 7 games lost, 21-22, 22 p.

Kenny:

11/12: 6- 17 games, 3 games lost, 20-13, 30 p.

Agger and Johnson are susceptible to injury (obviously), amazing this back four unit is playing a run of games really. It is an excellent back four it has to be said.

Without looking at the stats, I can't help but be amazed at the progress in the last 12 months.

Under Hodgson we didn't even achieve mediocrity, we had Konchesky at left back, missed out on Carlton Cole, but more importantly, the football was awful.

I enjoy watching us play again. Our bench is now better than Spurs, Arsenal and probably Utd (inconceivable 12 months ago). The only thing missing is a finisher.

People hate us again. To paraphrase Alan G Partidge, we're bouncing back.

I think fourth is very much on, assuming Suarez doesn't get banned.

If Gerrard reaches top form he could be the catalyst in us scoring, as he can create more chances and really link up with Suarez, who needs someone on his level. IF they strike up a partnership like Torres and Gerrard did, then we could see a brilliant second half of the season.

Having said that I would like to see another striker brought in, as in some games I think we could be more adventurious, especially at home and having a finisher, Suarez in the hole and Gerrard in centre midifeld (or even on the right) would give us more goal threat.

I do fear for the side without Lucas in the big games though. Spearing is going to have a big task, especially as we meet Man City three times in January. But he is perfectly capable of doing so.

I enjoy watching us play again. Our bench is now better than Spurs, Arsenal and probably Utd (inconceivable 12 months ago). The only thing missing is a finisher.

Agree about Spurs and Arsenal.

But I don't think our bench and depth is as good as United's. Defensively it probably is and in centre midfield. But in terms of strikers and wide players - the ones that win you games, they have much more depth.

Young, Park, Nani, Valencia, Giggs

Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez Berbatov, Owen

We are improving but need more match winners before we can challenge for the title.

If we just extrapolate based on results to date we'll end up with:

11/12: 6- 38 games, 7 games lost, 13 drawn, 45-29, 67 p.

And while not losing is good, we well know drawing is as bad as losing and we've twice as many draws as any one we are up against.

All said, we need to score. At a rate of about a +1 goal a game to be competitive. Gerrard is a 1 goal in 3-4 guy (assuming he's not deployed deep and hence scoring less). Where do the other 2-3 come from?

If we just extrapolate based on results to date we'll end up with:

11/12: 6- 38 games, 7 games lost, 13 drawn, 45-29, 67 p.

And while not losing is good, we well know drawing is as bad as losing and we've twice as many draws as any one we are up against.

All said, we need to score. At a rate of about a +1 goal a game to be competitive. Gerrard is a 1 goal in 3-4 guy (assuming he's not deployed deep and hence scoring less). Where do the other 2-3 come from?

From his assists.

Agree about Spurs and Arsenal.

But I don't think our bench and depth is as good as United's. Defensively it probably is and in centre midfield. But in terms of strikers and wide players - the ones that win you games, they have much more depth.

Young, Park, Nani, Valencia, Giggs

Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez Berbatov, Owen

We are improving but need more match winners before we can challenge for the title.

You'd take (in terms of talent) Young, Valencia and Nani.

Personally I'd take Maxi and Bellamy over Giggs and Park. Kuyt over Owen and Carroll over Berbatov.

I honesty think going forward it's broad as it is long, although None of their back 5 or cental midfield would get in our side (most non-LFC fans would argue Vidic).

I agree about match-winners out wide though.

Where do the other 2-3 come from?

Bellamy, Suarez and Maxi, would be the most likely in the squad we have. Possibly Kuyt who is usually a goal threat.

Would be nice if Downing, Carroll and Kuyt chipped in more.

But really a new striker should be got. If we don't get top four we will lose £20 million+ in revenue and won't be able to attract the top talent.

Spending £15 - £20 on someone like Soldado, could see us finish top and then in the summer we should only need two wide players to feel confident of mounting a challenge next season.

The improvement is there. Our main problem now is the competition for a top four spot has never been as good. In all of Rafa's seasons except the last, finishing 4th was damn near impossible for any decent team to cock up, since there only was four decent teams in the league. Now you've got six sides that are good enough.

We may not make it this season. Two of the big six won't after all. All we'll be able to do is dust ourselves down, improve again in the summer & go again. Champions league football is no longer a gimme.

Downing's average goals per season is about 3 or 4 I think. Not very likely that after going half a season without 1 goal, he's gonna now get over his career average.

Hopefully Carroll flukes one or something, gets sme confidence, works hard and can contribute in he second half of the season, but it's not looking likely at all.

Play Maxi and Bellamy in very game they are fit enough to play in, they're likely to get goals.

Bellamy, Suarez and Maxi, would be the most likely in the squad we have. Possibly Kuyt who is usually a goal threat.

Would be nice if Downing, Carroll and Kuyt chipped in more.

But really a new striker should be got. If we don't get top four we will lose £20 million+ in revenue and won't be able to attract the top talent.

Spending £15 - £20 on someone like Soldado, could see us finish top and then in the summer we should only need two wide players to feel confident of mounting a challenge next season.

Bellamy can't play every game. Suarez will be banned for close to half of our remaining games and Maxi doesn't seem to figure for the long term, so isn't going to be a regular.

To make matters worse Lucas's injury seems to be being mitigated by sacrificing an attacker for another midfielder.

It's a big ask but we've all seen from 08-09 the superpowers conferred by confidence and a bit of luck. Fingers crossed.

Bellamy can't play every game. Suarez will be banned for close to half of our remaining games and Maxi doesn't seem to figure for the long term, so isn't going to be a regular.

To make matters worse Lucas's injury seems to be being mitigated by sacrificing an attacker for another midfielder.

It's a big ask but we've all seen from 08-09 the superpowers conferred by confidence and a bit of luck. Fingers crossed.

So what are you trying to say? We need new players in January?

Fuck the stats. It is very simple. Goals win you games. Now the problem is we are not scoring goals consistently.

Suarez will probably get banned and missed some of our important games and our midfield is weak. Downing is shit. The only thing he'll do is jogging. Adam not consistent enough. Maxi doesn't get enough starts which is baffling me now(any reason there Kenny?).

Henderson still young and don't have the experience needed. Gerrard is slowly coming back and when i mean slowly it is fucking slowly...and will take approx 5-10 games before he is fully fit and back to his normal robust on the pitch type of player. Spearing isn't good enough. Kuyt. i don't know what happen to him this season, not scoring much either.

Carroll is hopeless. I would say Shelvey, Bellamy and Maxi is the only hope for us in the team and i also hope that Kuyt starts to play up front from now on with Suarez or Bellamy.

We should now stop thinking of getting forth but should start thinking on how to fucking score goals. Goals win you games and will get us forth, third or whatever shit we wanna finish. We're not clinical enough and we should stop blaming others for our failure to score goals.

Why can't Bellamy play every game? Any explanation for that? And why the fuck Maxi is not for the long term? He is scoring goals, he is playing well, he contributes a lot to the team.

Bellamy should play every game from now on unless he is injured. He can play for 65-75 mins of each game and his pace is useful for us. Kenny should take note of this.

The same goes to Maxi too.