You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Downing on the right??

Glen C

I think he's better and far less predictable on the right. He cuts inside very well.

Why? Because we don't want to be predictable. Thank god Kenny doesn't display the same narrow-minded British cliched "Natural wide men putting in crosses for the big man" mentality that so many of our fans displayed throughout the summer in their efforts to convince us why Downing would be such a great signing.

He'll turn out to be a fine signing, but for very different reasons.

I wouldn't want us to use him as a left-sided crossing machine because he has more in his locker and that kind of football is utterly predictable and fairly simple for the physical park the bus teams to defend against.

His crosses from the left are excellent. On the right, he cuts inside a lot more to take a shot. He looks versatile with both feet, but stronger left. Intelligent and keeps the opposition guessing as to what he'll do next. We saw a lot of our front men switching last season to the point where it didn't look like we had a designated striker. I think Downing works well in a system like ours.

Guest TK-421

Has anyone mentioned it's because he can cut inside to good effect? I think it's because he can cut inside and twat it really hard towards the goal.

He doesn't play on the right, in our 4-2-3-1/4-1-2-3 he starts left, and we interchange our left and right of the 3 throughout the game. Lovely to see and makes us so unpredictable to play against.

In my opinion works better when that becomes a fluid 3 and Suarez, Kuyt/Meireles/Bellamy? Downing all interchange. Lovely pass and move stuff.

Add Gerrard pushing on, Adam playing the ball from deep and Lucas keeping it simple at the base of the midfield, i've almost got a boner.

He doesn't play on the right, in our 4-2-3-1/4-1-2-3 he starts left, and we interchange our left and right of the 3 throughout the game. Lovely to see and makes us so unpredictable to play against.

In my opinion works better when that becomes a fluid 3 and Suarez, Kuyt/Meireles/Bellamy? Downing all interchange. Lovely pass and move stuff.

Add Gerrard pushing on, Adam playing the ball from deep and Lucas keeping it simple at the base of the midfield, i've almost got a boner.

And then there's Carroll.

And the boner is gone.