You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sound gone on laptop. vostro 1000.

chris71

My hard drive decided to go wallop a couple of days ago. So I have a new one fitted and have reloaded the cd's that came with the computer.

But I have no sound when trying to play music,video's,games or anything really.

Any idea's ? It's a Dell Vostro 1000 Windows xp.

Have you got a seperate sound card or is it running off your motherboard, if its one you have installed yourself then you have to change the setting via control panel/sounds and audio devices/audio then on the drop down list ' Default device' select your sound card.

Hope this helps

Shit just noticed its a laptop.............check out if you have a yellow question mark against the device in device manager...start/right click my computer/manage/device manager..see if your audio drivers are installed.

Edited by armchairfan