You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancer

withnail71

Cheers guys. While I'm trying to be positive, this will be the 4th time in about 6 months that we've been called to her bedside. And this time she's exhibiting some other symptoms, called terminal agitation. It's hard seeing her unable to talk, but moving her arms up in the air and around involuntarily. I'm assured she isn't in pain, and can hear me. The trouble with that is, I'm not sure if she's screaming 'shut the fuck up' as I talk absolute inane shite to her all night. I guess I'll never know. I just take a break every now and then and go sit in the comfortable chair in silence just in case.

My Dad passed away 10 years ago of a heart attack. I was only a young man (19), and never even stopped to consider the benefits of a relatively quick death.

Cancer is an absolute bastard of a disease. One which mum as been fighting for about 4 years on and off.

If it's at that stage, I'm just hoping it's over soon for her. She's been through more than enough suffering for a few lifetimes. Despite our differences, and believe me, we had plenty, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

I was just typing to say I've lost a parent suddenly and still have no idea how this must feel, as I'm sure it's a totally different thing and extremely difficult to witness.

Just wish you well and hope the relatively least painful outcomes for you and your Mum from here transpire. Sounds like you're doing all anyone could. Best wishes mate.

• Upvote 1

And again, thanks folks. I'm so busy these days I don't have much of a social life and wouldn't text my mates out of the blue to talk about this shit. And thankfully most of them haven't experienced this so wouldn't be in much of position to offer advice anyway. It's nice to have a place to just blurt it out and hear nice words from people you called a cunt a week ago.

Cheers cunts.

• Upvote 1

I'm calling the OU in the morning and trying to defer this module. I have 3 out of the 4 assessments done with and average of 92% and I'm definitely going to miss the deadline for the 4th so I'm hoping they'll let me bank those 3 and just pick uo where I left off with the next class. Fingers crossed. If they fail me they fail me. I'll do it all again next year, but I'd rather avoid the effort and expense.

All the best Rotoq.

You being there for her is all you can do, and - I imagine - all she would ask for.

Be strong and call on us in here when you need some extra strength.

Anyone suffering through this - either the person with it, or those close to them - serve as an inspiration to someone else.

• Upvote 1

Keep your pecker up, ROTOQ.

I've been where you are, and it's difficult. You just have to be strong and try to make any time together as rewarding as possible, even if it's just being in the same room together.

I cherish that time and like to think it helped just by being there.

• Upvote 3

Sorry to hear it ROTOQ.

Don't think anything of picking up the phone to your mates, regardless of how often you see them or whether they have been through a similar experience. If posting on here helps then that's great but, sometimes, just going for a quiet pint or a coffee with an old friend can help, to chat about anything or nothing.

• Upvote 1

Mum's taken another turn, and there doesn't look like anywhere to go from here. They're out of antibiotics to try so it's just palliative care. So I came to this thread for some stevebaby inspiration. Reading his posts when you're at your lowest makes them all the more powerful. The man was unbelievable. If I can stay 10% as positive as he did, I'll be just fine.

R.I.P. Stevebaby you absolute fucking legend.

Oh, I'm sorry, ROTOQ. Do what seems right in the time you have left together. I hope you have people who will see you through this. Be kind to yourself. x

• Upvote 1

It got pretty grim over the last few days. Watching Mum fight for every breath. It was much tougher than I had imagined. The nurses assured us she wasn't in pain, but it was a relentless and distressing picture before us. Thankfully, she found some calm before passing away peacefully tonight. Given what we had seen leading up to it, this was a welcome twist. Her years of ups and downs are now over. No more pain or suffering.

• Upvote 4

It got pretty grim over the last few days. Watching Mum fight for every breath. It was much tougher than I had imagined. The nurses assured us she wasn't in pain, but it was a relentless and distressing picture before us. Thankfully, she found some calm before passing away peacefully tonight. Given what we had seen leading up to it, this was a welcome twist. Her years of ups and downs are now over. No more pain or suffering.

Sorry about your Mum, God bless mate, take care of yourself.

• Upvote 1

Oh, I'm sorry, ROTOQ. It sounds like you have done everything you could to support your mum. I hope you have good friends and family to help you through this next stage. Don't be afraid to let it all out x

• Upvote 1

I've been following this thread for a while and I was hoping sometimes to be able to day something eloquent to ease the pain but it's just not possible.

Honestly rotoq, I feel so sorry for you. This past while must have been pure torture.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1