You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

4 hours ago, Total Longo said:

I'm curious to know why he hates Benitez so much, given that i imagine he hasn't had any direct dealings with him. Did he offer up any insight into this or was it just the bitter rantings of a sad man?  

Danny Murphy hates him for breaking up the cliques and ultimately bombing him out of the club, and whilst i don't necessarily agree with him, i can understand from his point of view why he would dislike Benitez. Aldridge, on the other hand, i can't see why. 

I wonder if Aldo wanted a role at LFC as Rafa's Phil Thompson or something? 

4737carlin

4737carlin

Player Valuation: £70m
The issue is he would never do that. He absolutely loves them.
I cant see it, people dont love that club once they leave apart from the odd freak, not like ex Everton do, Rodgers dosent, Shankley didn't.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

St John treated Houllier disgracefully and I lost a lot of respect for him after that. It's ironic how they passed away so close to each other yet they both played a significant part in our success. I dont even think Evans bore Houllier much of a grudge himself,publically at least.

I went to a sportsman's dinner with Evans, he seemed pretty bitter about his whole departure, including houlliers part in it. He was a nice fella though - came and had a beer with us at our table the end when he could have just fucked off. 

12 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Wasn’t by far second time around but he was better, Aldo was a great goal scorer 50 in 80 odd in the league. They both played with great providers as you know.

We did the right thing.

Unpopular opinion. I thought Rush was finished at the top level after we brought him back. He had Hepatitis and loads of injuries when we brought him back and he was never the same.

Reading one of Kenny’s books i reckon he regretted it too as he says the money we used to bring him back was lined up for Pallister and could have been spread to Gazza too.

Aldo was a great goal scorer and was better suited for that team, however, his extra curricular drinking habits fucked it up for him. Booting your wife down the stairs in a club and wrapping your car up at the bottom of Everton Valley when bladdered after a match was more than enough reason to be jettisoned. However, different times back then of course.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

Unpopular opinion. I thought Rush was finished at the top level after we brought him back. He had Hepatitis and loads of injuries when we brought him back and he was never the same.

Reading one of Kenny’s books i reckon he regretted it too as he says the money we used to bring him back was lined up for Pallister and could have been spread to Gazza too.

Aldo was a great goal scorer and was better suited for that team, however, his extra curricular drinking habits fucked it up for him. Booting your wife down the stairs in a club and wrapping your car up at the bottom of Everton Valley when bladdered after a match was more than enough reason to be jettisoned. However, different times back then of course.

Deffo rush was never the same again after juventus. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Red74 said:

It was.

4 hours ago, Total Longo said:

I'm curious to know why he hates Benitez so much, given that i imagine he hasn't had any direct dealings with him. Did he offer up any insight into this or was it just the bitter rantings of a sad man?  

Danny Murphy hates him for breaking up the cliques and ultimately bombing him out of the club, and whilst i don't necessarily agree with him, i can understand from his point of view why he would dislike Benitez. Aldridge, on the other hand, i can't see why. 

I think Rafa's treatment of Robbie Keane probably has something to do with it. Irish pisshead solidarity, clearly.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think Rafa's treatment of Robbie Keane probably has something to do with it. Irish pisshead solidarity, clearly.

Leaving ethnic stereotypes (sometimes acceptable, sometimes not apparently): Was Keane a "pisshead"? News to me... 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Not sure Rushy was finished when we bought him back. I was estatic when we did. I did think Aldo seemed to score more regularly than Rushy did in his 2nd spell and hepatitis clearly affected him.

David Fairclough is non too complimentary about Sir Bob. St John also had issues with Sir Bill after he was dropped at Newcastle and not told to his face.

I dont know if Aldo dislikes Rafa Benitez or not. It happens in all walks of life. Id be surprised if other ex players of ours didnt have issues with the manager here during their time. The suggestion of the treatment of Kean may have something to do with it.

I don’t know Aldo or any players personally (although Sammy Lee always lets on to me in the Bear and Staff in Gateacre for some reason, maybe he thinks I look like Allardyce, I’m the same shape) for that matter.

But I remember going to a sportsman’s dinner a few years back and while Barnes was really really funny and seemed like a genuinely nice bloke who like most at those sort of do’s want to make a good impression Aldridge on the other hand just came like he genuinely couldn’t be arsed and was boring as duck and worst of all didn’t care .
Might of just been a bad night like but after reading that interview ….

3 hours ago, Red74 said:

That pen against Wimbledon should have seen him on his way. 

My impression of Rush coming back was more to do with preventing him going to a rival. There were rumours that Everton would be able to buy him and possibly the Mancs if we didn't buy him. 

There were strong rumours about him going to Rangers as they had a lot of money at the time. It did seem a bit odd that he came back and there was always a debate from the word go who would play more regularly. 

Wonder how Gazza would have been had he signed for us and whether he would have been less of a headcase.

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:
4737carlin

4737carlin

Player Valuation: £70m
The issue is he would never do that. He absolutely loves them.
I cant see it, people dont love that club once they leave apart from the odd freak, not like ex Everton do, Rodgers dosent, Shankley didn't.

So far off the mark it's unbelievable, but the world of the shite.

Rafa is just an apalling choice its poison from the start. If they were grown up and acted like it they would see they could have a very good manager who is actually a bloody good human being who has shown it plenty of times, a man who loves the area who wants to stay in it. So a successful manager given time and money and not likely to fuck off at the first wink from a bigger club because he just wants to be home with his family. Logically he's a great choice but football isn't logic so both would be a poison chalice to the other.

1 hour ago, index1000 said:

That pen against Wimbledon should have seen him on his way. 

I saw him in the pub after the match (think it was the Wheatsheaf on Snithdown Road) and he was obviously gutted. There was a total exclusion zone around him, like he had bad shithouse AIDS. I said something bland like "oh well" to him and he shrugged, but I was still too pissed off with him for the miss, to say anything more supportive. Really unfair, I know.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Rafa is just an apalling choice its poison from the start. If they were grown up and acted like it they would see they could have a very good manager who is actually a bloody good human being who has shown it plenty of times, a man who loves the area who wants to stay in it. So a successful manager given time and money and not likely to fuck off at the first wink from a bigger club because he just wants to be home with his family. Logically he's a great choice but football isn't logic so both would be a poison chalice to the other.

The Time Pink Floyd's Giant Inflatable Pig Floated Away | Mental Floss

• Upvote 1

Rafa will be a legend to us always and Istanbul will be one of those near statue building moments, but with time passing and possibly his ability to create that previous magic, for him to go to Everton and take those bastards down, I myself, bad back an’all,  will lead the foundation digging for that magnificent statue.

Tramp the dirt down, Rafa.

In Rafa we trust.

7 hours ago, Red74 said:

The rumour at the time was that we were signing Pallister and it was a huge shock to the press corps when Rush was unveiled. Whilst Rushie was great, there’s no denying that Aldo scored more goals as long as they were both at the club. 
Supposedly Gascoigne had wanted to come to Liverpool that summer, but we’d asked him to wait a year. Hard to see that we could have signed both Gazza and Pallister instead of Rushie (although I’d imagine each of them would have been on a lower wage). 

3 minutes ago, Ron B said:

The rumour at the time was that we were signing Pallister and it was a huge shock to the press corps when Rush was unveiled. Whilst Rushie was great, there’s no denying that Aldo scored more goals as long as they were both at the club. 
Supposedly Gascoigne had wanted to come to Liverpool that summer, but we’d asked him to wait a year. Hard to see that we could have signed both Gazza and Pallister instead of Rushie (although I’d imagine each of them would have been on a lower wage). 

A pair of alcoholics for the price of Rush? 

People can say Rush wasn’t the same when we got him back from Juventus and they maybe right but he won us an FA Cup Final in 1989 and helped another one in 92 

If he’d stayed on against Arsenal the following Friday in 89 I’ve no doubt we would have won another double and after scoring a typical classy Rush goal against Palace in the 1990 semi had he stayed on then  I’ve no doubt that would have been another cup final and possible double.

Yeah he wasn't’ the same player but wasn’t too bad either and would Fowler have been the same player without him ? 
90 goals in 245 games wasn’t too bad considering some of the sides post 1990 he played with