You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A few points

Antynwa

1. If we don't buy wingers in the summer I will lose faith in football

2. Number two. If Agger was a dog he'd have been put down. He's a fantastic defender when fit and in form. Only problem is, he's never fit. We can't be relying on him to be 1st choice when he's got fuck all going for him fitness wise.

We need a consistent back four. Something we haven't had in years. Agger just isn't consistently fit.. I've never ever been a big fan of him, and he's only under Kenny showed the sort of form that made him so highly rated since we got him.

3. Roy Hodgson was never in a million years be at this club for longer than a season. We should have got Kenny. We didn't. The 6 months in between was just a disgrace, both on and off the pitch.

4. If we buy wingers. We'll be sound as pound.

5. I love Andy Carroll. You need a bit of that.

Agree on most but I think we need 2 centre backs and a left back as desperately as wingers, although I've been yearning for good wide players for about 15 years. If we start next season with Kuyt and Raul as our wide men I will drop kick a fucking nurse.

I don't think Carrol will turn out to be an astute buy, I hope he proves his doubters wrong though.

Guest ShoePiss

Agree with all of the defence related comments.

Will you also stamp your feet and fold your arms if we don't get wingers? Or is losing faith in football going to be enough?

Antynwa - You forgot we should buy a midfield that dominates and controls matches (and seasons) like we USED to have circa 2007 - 2010(ish). The difference between how much our midfield controlled games under Rafa' and how LITTLE control we have now when things go against us? Is quite shocking and a fcuking indictment of the decisions to remove Alonso and Mascherano from our team without GOOD replacements. It's also the main reason we've looked so terrible and lost in 'tough' games where sides get stuck into us this year without remotely the nous or knowhow to combat such behaviour Or 'dish it out' in return and why we've taken some awful beatings in such games as well as losing to the 'grind it out' sloggers occupying the bottom of the league so regularly this year to.

We got rid of probably THE two pillars of our team in two of the best midfielders we've had during the last 2 decades with no idea or clue of just HOW to replace them properly and God, did it cost us - We took them for granted a little along with the level of control they brought us while they were here and don't we just know it now they're gone - HOW we miss them now. They STILL need replacing in my book because whilst he's maturing out of all recognition from the player he was? Lucas Can't do it all on his own,and isn't really a replacement for either of the two 'departed ones' is he? Raul Meireles is probably from the looks of things the closest thing we'll find to a replacement for Gerrard 08/09 who was the best attacking midfielder we've had since probably John Wark in that position.

Taken all together - That's all well and good for the attacking side of our midfield but; It STILL leaves? A Huge void in the middle - a void that is occupied and dominated by our opponents now when we lose control of games this season All to often - In short? we're Fine this season When we start games well or "Up for It" - But when we're NOT? Oh dear, oh dear.......... I think what I'm saying is Basically that which was Once our greatest strength for years under Rafa' is now our biggest weakness by a mile and until it's solved and the void filled in properly? I doubt we'll come close to getting back to what we should be ON the pitch anytime soon.....................

1. If we don't buy wingers in the summer I will lose faith in football

2. Number two. If Agger was a dog he'd have been put down. He's a fantastic defender when fit and in form. Only problem is, he's never fit. We can't be relying on him to be 1st choice when he's got fuck all going for him fitness wise.

We need a consistent back four. Something we haven't had in years. Agger just isn't consistently fit.. I've never ever been a big fan of him, and he's only under Kenny showed the sort of form that made him so highly rated since we got him.

3. Roy Hodgson was never in a million years be at this club for longer than a season. We should have got Kenny. We didn't. The 6 months in between was just a disgrace, both on and off the pitch.

4. If we buy wingers. We'll be sound as pound.

5. I love Andy Carroll. You need a bit of that.

I'll agree on all five points, mate, if you can sneak me into Anfield one day this October for a match!!!!!

My wife and I will be visiting her folks in Dublin, and I plan to pop over. Haven't been to Anfield for over 20 years now

(Had tickets to the Spurs game last year when we were over, but got postponed because of fucking snow).

(And even if you can't get me in,) I agree on most of the above!

(PS. You are the Anfield steward, right, or have I got mixed up with someone else?)

Edited by Skaro

Antynwa - You forgot we should buy a midfield that dominates and controls matches (and seasons) like we USED to have circa 2007 - 2010(ish). The difference between how much our midfield controlled games under Rafa' and how LITTLE control we have now when things go against us? Is quite shocking and a fcuking indictment of the decisions to remove Alonso and Mascherano from our team without GOOD replacements. It's also the main reason we've looked so terrible and lost in 'tough' games where sides get stuck into us this year without remotely the nous or knowhow to combat such behaviour Or 'dish it out' in return and why we've taken some awful beatings in such games as well as losing to the 'grind it out' sloggers occupying the bottom of the league so regularly this year to.

We got rid of probably THE two pillars of our team in two of the best midfielders we've had during the last 2 decades with no idea or clue of just HOW to replace them properly and God, did it cost us - We took them for granted a little along with the level of control they brought us while they were here and don't we just know it now they're gone - HOW we miss them now. They STILL need replacing in my book because whilst he's maturing out of all recognition from the player he was? Lucas Can't do it all on his own,and isn't really a replacement for either of the two 'departed ones' is he? Raul Meireles is probably from the looks of things the closest thing we'll find to a replacement for Gerrard 08/09 who was the best attacking midfielder we've had since probably John Wark in that position.

Taken all together - That's all well and good for the attacking side of our midfield but; It STILL leaves? A Huge void in the middle - a void that is occupied and dominated by our opponents now when we lose control of games this season All to often - In short? we're Fine this season When we start games well or "Up for It" - But when we're NOT? Oh dear, oh dear.......... I think what I'm saying is Basically that which was Once our greatest strength for years under Rafa' is now our biggest weakness by a mile and until it's solved and the void filled in properly? I doubt we'll come close to getting back to what we should be ON the pitch anytime soon.....................

Good post. Those yankee swindlers have alot to answer for. The term 'asset stripping' springs to mind.

"Is quite shocking and a fcuking indictment of the decisions to remove Alonso and Mascherano from our team without GOOD replacements. @

The decisions to remove these two from the team werent taken by LFC, the players wanted to leave. I agree that Alonso maybe hadnt been treated too well, but Mascherano had wanted to be off for quite some time, his form had shown that.

The decisions here were out of LFC's hands.

I`ve seen this a few times lately and its simply not true, you dont need a consistent back four at all.

What you need is good coverage in the different positions in the way that if one of your fullbacks get injured you dont have to play a CB there who will never get past the halfway line and have questionable technique and no pace to match wide players with pace. something wide players usually have, just not here.

You also need the gap in quality between your 1st, 2nd,3rd and 4th choice CB to be as small as possible.

If people want examples just look at the mancs.

What kind of consistency have they had at their RB or in their CB positions the last two season, the same goes for Chelsea.

Our problem at the back the last few years is not that we dont have consistency, its the fact we have players who goes from utter shite to mediocre at best among the one we have to choose from.

Sort that out and fuck consistency, thats also why Agger is the least of our problems, when he is fit or is picked he will do the job, if only that could be said about the rest of our defenders this point would hardly be discussed half as much as it does.

I`ve seen this a few times lately and its simply not true, you dont need a consistent back four at all.

What you need is good coverage in the different positions in the way that if one of your fullbacks get injured you dont have to play a CB there who will never get past the halfway line and have questionable technique and no pace to match wide players with pace. something wide players usually have, just not here.

You also need the gap in quality between your 1st, 2nd,3rd and 4th choice CB to be as small as possible.

If people want examples just look at the mancs.

What kind of consistency have they had at their RB or in their CB positions the last two season, the same goes for Chelsea.

Our problem at the back the last few years is not that we dont have consistency, its the fact we have players who goes from utter shite to mediocre at best among the one we have to choose from.

Sort that out and fuck consistency, thats also why Agger is the least of our problems, when he is fit or is picked he will do the job, if only that could be said about the rest of our defenders this point would hardly be discussed half as much as it does.

You absolutely need a consistent back four.

Our most successful sides have had a consistent back four.

Carra Sami Henchoz Riise

Finnan Sami Carra Riise

From Wilson to Ayala, Skrtel, Greek, Fucking Degen we haven't had a settled back four since the end of the 08/09 season.

You absolutely need a consistent back four.

Our most successful sides have had a consistent back four.

Carra Sami Henchoz Riise

Finnan Sami Carra Riise

From Wilson to Ayala, Skrtel, Greek, Fucking Degen we haven't had a settled back four since the end of the 08/09 season.

You really, really dont.

Lets look at a few examples.

Chelsea 09/10:

Terry: 37

Cole: 25

Ivanovic: 25

Carvalho: 22

Alex: 13

Ferreira: 11

Zhirkov: 10

Bosingva: 8

Belletti: 4

Chelsea conceded 32 goals this season, had a new manager and won the title and only 1 of their players started more than 3/4 of their games.

Mancs 09/10:

Evra: 37

Vidic: 24

Evans: 18

Brown: 18

Neville: 15

O`Shea: 12

Ferdinand: 12

Rafael: 8

Fabio: 1

The mancs conceded 28 goals this season and finished second and only one of their defenders started more than 3/4 of their games and only two started more than 1/2 of them.

Consistency is not the key, quality is.

This is 100% spot on and if we get some genuine quality into the midfield we will move forward at a blistering pace as the confidence in knowing your midfield is controlling the game sweeps through the side giving the back four support and getting past the forwards when we go at teams.

We must not minge it when we sign these players as I believe the midfield is more of a priority than the back four. That said I would push for Cahill as he is a top player.

We need to become a grown up side again and get some maturity and leadership back to how it was not so long ago.

Recently we have become a soft touch to the so called lesser sides and yet never a pushover to the top sides.

The other reason for making sure we buy well is that kenny needs to send out 11 better players than the opposition as tactics are not his strong point. Very similar to purple nose up the road.

Gary Cahill is a good player and I was probably one of the first to mention him on here as a n option for us, but he can be a bit clumsy and rash and his technique is not always the best so we will need a ball playing CB alongside him, so we need to bring in another one to be another option than Agger, Hangeland would be my preferred option as he also is dominant in the air and even if he is getting olf he easily have 4-5 more good years in him.

Sparta7? You said regarding the losses of Alonso and Mascherano? "The decisions to remove these two from the team werent taken by LFC" and later "The decisions here were out of LFC's hands." Whilst I tend to agree - DON'T forget that Torres wanted to leave to and we simply REFUSED to allow him to go until a suitable replacement to offset his loss was acquired for the team. We did Nothing like this with Alonso or Mascherano and the fact we acted So quickly when losing Torres shows that we COULD have tried if nothing else. The fact we didn't?

Well that fact as I said is nothing more than a fcuking indictment of those in charge of the club at the time and shows if nothing else just How much they held up Rafa' and prevented his plans for their own ends as do you Really think Aquilani was his preferred replacement for Alonso or even the ONLY one he had in mind when he's gone on record as saying he had arranged a deal to buy Stevan Jovetic at the same time only to have the rug (in the form of the remainder of the Alonso sale money) pulled from under him at THE last possible minute by Tom Fcuking Hicks. I suspect there were other deals than Aquilani and Jovetic lined up at that time to by Rafa' that we will never know about which were crippled and flatlined by the removal of funds by that Texan Vampire. Not that WE'LL ever find out now mind...............

Corro; I Agree re the need for quality players but you also said "The other reason for making sure we buy well is that kenny needs to send out 11 better players than the opposition as tactics are not his strong point. Very similar to purple nose up the road."? Well, on that point? I think not my friend. As I remember it back in the day - Kenny was one of THE first manager to regularly change his formation and tactics to suit the opposition and he won us at least one title by doing so throughout the season (1990 I think). He also demonstrated his grasp of tactics THIS time around at Stamford Bridge about 2 months ago no? He chose a formation that Completely stymied Ancelotti's vaunted '3 striker' formation, tangled them up in midfield, got the defence to stay compact and stay in their half (tactical of course), then? We thus relieved pressure on the backline by STAYING in their half constantly and eventually by the time we scored WE looked the stronger side. I've seen Ferguson sides do similar things to us at Anfield to so no, I wouldn't say either of them is not big on tactics - Just that they prioritise motivation and inspiration above tactics in terms of preparing their teams but tactics not being their 'strong points'?

I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more - I think Kenny and Alex are two of THE most devious, cunning, tactically adept animals in the game - They just don't employ those abilities all that often as they have other strings to their managerial bows. But when they DO use them? Far more often than not both of those managers are VERY wily and have shown themselves repeatedly to be more than a little decent tactically.

Or to put it another way? You don't win all they've won between them without a couple of battle plans up your sleeve and those two have MORE than a few. In fact? I'd say they're RIGHT up there with the best tacticians. It's just that neither feels the need to show it often. That's all but believe me the abilities ARE there when they're needed. I think the phrase for Both Kenny and Alex is underestimate them at your peril and many have come off badly in football by doing just that..............

Guest the boy
Consistency is not the key, quality is.

Truth.

Going forward, Kelly Agger & Johnson are the only 3 of the desired quality to be about the defense. Left back & one centre back at least a must.