You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Like Roy Hodgson at Liverpool, Gerard Houllier is being FOUND out by fans

StevieH

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PurpleNose
yeah they dont deserve to be mentioned in the same breath. hodgson is saving west brom and houllier is ruining villa

Out of interest, who do you support?

Guest San Don

A lazy piece of journalism by reade there.

Villa's big problem isnt Houllier. Its the players who wanted macdonald to be kept on as first team manager who arent playing for houllier that is the problem.

Reade pulled the same guff on Houllier when Benitez was sacked with a twisted article then and this is no different really.

He basically called GH's reign a failure and Benitez' an unqualified success when if Benitez was a success then so was GH.

Reade seems to forget that GH actually won more trophies than Rafa and when he left us we were 4th to Benitez' 7th. He doesn't play to his gallery though by throwing Rafa in as being ''FOUND'' out at Liverpool and Inter though does he?

Hodgson had to go for both of our sakes. Reade is either naive or a liar if he thinks Dalglish not getting the job wasn't an issue with the fans from the start. Check this very forum after our first loss of the season for a case in point v Man City when we were Mascherano-less on a team that finished 7th last year.

The Dalglish chant was audible v Blackpool at home. In October. Not five months later like he suggests.

Reade pulled the same guff on Houllier when Benitez was sacked with a twisted article then and this is no different really.

He basically called GH's reign a failure and Benitez' an unqualified success when if Benitez was a success then so was GH.

Reade seems to forget that GH actually won more trophies than Rafa and when he left us we were 4th to Benitez' 7th. He doesn't play to his gallery though by throwing Rafa in as being ''FOUND'' out at Liverpool and Inter though does he?

Hodgson had to go for both of our sakes. Reade is either naive or a liar if he thinks Dalglish not getting the job wasn't an issue with the fans from the start. Check this very forum after our first loss of the season for a case in point v Man City when we were Mascherano-less on a team that finished 7th last year.

The Dalglish chant was audible v Blackpool at home. In October. Not five months later like he suggests.

I read the article as critical of Ged's tenure at Villa rather than here.

It's petty if he's trying to compare Ged when here with Hodgson.

You lecturing someone on hating a former manager, you couldnt script this better! Just brilliant.

That's the issue you can't get your tiny brain around. I don't hate Benitez, I just don't like him. Of course, for you and your ilk, because I don't have the same teenage crush on a former manager, I must hate him. Your world is like a photo story in a teenage girls magazine. But I love him! I hate her! I want her to die!

Calling an ex manager (a real person, lest we forget) the sort of names he gets called on here because he did a poor job while he was here is playground stuff. If you did your homework properly you'd know that.

There was no mass call for Dalglish to succeed Rafa Benitez. The majority of supporters may have been *underwhelmed by Hodgson’s appointment but backed it and willed him to succeed.

Had to stop reading there. The article had exceeded it's credibility overdraft.

Calling an ex manager (a real person, lest we forget) the sort of names he gets called on here because he did a poor job while he was here is playground stuff. If you did your homework properly you'd know that.

And yet you never, ever have/had a problem with the abuse Benitez gets so dont play that card, you're just still upset because you preached how amazing he was and the reality was he was hopeless.

Playground stuff? What on earth do you call the abuse you give me then? Fucking hell, have you heard yourself here?

Thanks for the repped abuse by the way. And you call me thick!!

I read the article as critical of Ged's tenure at Villa rather than here.

It's petty if he's trying to compare Ged when here with Hodgson.

Maybe true but he did try and besmirch Houlliers reign here in the summer after Rafa was sacked to overstate Rafa's reign.

Houllier wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes here like Hodgson didn't had a 1998 track record Houllier took over Benitez in the summer.

Houllier wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes here like Hodgson didn't had a 1998 track record Houllier took over Benitez in the summer. The 98-99 season saw many appalling performances and even the much improved 99-2000 was only after an awful start (with a couple of good early wins v Arsenal and Leeds) thrown in.

Houllier was lucky in the fact he got a 6 month sort-out period to prepare us for the following season as Evans was sacked in November. Hodgson whilst an utter failure didn't have anything even remotely similar to that and everything was a rush job to get players back from World Cups etc and Mascherano leaving was a blow.

Also he was only here for one transfer window when H&G were still owners. I don't think he would have signed the likes of Carlton Cole had he still been in charge for this window.

And yet you never, ever have/had a problem with the abuse Benitez gets so dont play that card, you're just still upset because you preached how amazing he was and the reality was he was hopeless.

Playground stuff? What on earth do you call the abuse you give me then? Fucking hell, have you heard yourself here?

Thanks for the repped abuse by the way. And you call me thick!!

I did have a problem with Benitez being called names - if you didn't have your head up his bottom, you might have known that.

I am sure I never called Hodgson 'amazing', or anything like it. He wasn't hopeless today, though - we were.

You get the abuse because you deserve it. You deserve no respect because with every post you appear to intent on proving yourself to be an idiot.

I always help the disadvantaged. It's my way. I do it to all numbskulls. I only neg those who I think are capable of understanding what it might be for.

I did have a problem with Benitez being called names - if you didn't have your head up his bottom, you might have known that.

I am sure I never called Hodgson 'amazing', or anything like it. He wasn't hopeless today, though - we were.

You get the abuse because you deserve it. You deserve no respect because with every post you appear to intent on proving yourself to be an idiot.

I always help the disadvantaged. It's my way. I do it to all numbskulls. I only neg those who I think are capable of understanding what it might be for.

Nice reasoning. Though do understand that if in one sentence you're complaining about someone being abused then in the next slinging a load of insults around while repping me with "you utter little dipshit. Fucking plank." then I am going to piss myself laughing at you and point out the hypocrisy.

Nice way of trying to get out of it though.

Nice reasoning. Though do understand that if in one sentence you're complaining about someone being abused then in the next slinging a load of insults around while repping me with "you utter little dipshit. Fucking plank." then I am going to piss myself laughing at you and point out the hypocrisy.

Nice way of trying to get out of it though.

laugh away, plank.

Had to stop reading there. The article had exceeded it's credibility overdraft.

Whether people backed him or not, im sure everyone was willing for him to succeed. Whether you like the manager or not your always going to want the team to win.

Whether people backed him or not, im sure everyone was willing for him to succeed. Whether you like the manager or not your always going to want the team to win.

I do and you do Robbie, but I'm not sure everyone on here would have shared that view at the beginning of the season. And even fewer people on RAWK.

I do and you do Robbie, but I'm not sure everyone on here would have shared that view at the beginning of the season. And even fewer people on RAWK.

Dion Fanning's gloating on Twitter after we lost against United in September was proof of that alone. I thought he was a fan of the club.

Maybe true but he did try and besmirch Houlliers reign here in the summer after Rafa was sacked to overstate Rafa's reign.

Houllier wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes here like Hodgson didn't had a 1998 track record Houllier took over Benitez in the summer.

I never saw that and thast would have been petty too. No need for it.

I never had Reade down as massively pro Rafa, certainly not at the end anyway.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

let's face it, no manager will admit they are shit if they wish to continue working after being sacked. It could also be a kind of reassurance that they are in charge and the players are not. They have to be seen as the strongest figure at the club they are employed to and will deflect any blame towards them by blaming the structure, transfer policy etc.

Any manager in any walk of life will do the same to protect their sad arses.

It's all about personal standing.

I think everyone at some point will spread some bullshit at work to keep their position and salary, it's human nature in that males don't like to looked upon as weak and incompetent.

Houllier pre-op was a good manager and far better than Hodgson

Houllier post-op has lost it and is still a far better manager than Hodgson

If Roy Hodgson would have taken over us in 1999 and not Gerard Houllier I am convinced nobody would have batted an eyelid. Houllier didn't have a track record as such, one French league title and a failed World Cup campaign was the crux of it.

Houlliers first few months in the job back then were nearly as ignominious as Hodgsons were. Does anybody remember the back to back home defeats v Villa and Leicester in April 99 which were as bad at that time as anything I had ever seen from a Liverpool side. Managers even then as recent as 10-11 years ago were afforded more time after bad starts in the job.

There is a Transsexual joke in your post there somewhere but will leave it to one of the many talented comedians on here to think of one. ;-)

If Roy Hodgson would have taken over us in 1999 and not Gerard Houllier I am convinced nobody would have batted an eyelid. Houllier didn't have a track record as such, one French league title and a failed World Cup campaign was the crux of it.

Houlliers first few months in the job back then were nearly as ignominious as Hodgsons were. Does anybody remember the back to back home defeats v Villa and Leicester in April 99 which were as bad at that time as anything I had ever seen from a Liverpool side. Managers even then as recent as 10-11 years ago were afforded more time after bad starts in the job.

There is a Transsexual joke in your post there somewhere but will leave it to one of the many talented comedians on here to think of one. ;-)

Houllier was afforded time and respect for two reasons though IMO mate, the utter ridiculousness of the situation from which he'd emerged - i.e the joint-management debacle, and the internal war and the battle to control the bootroom and bring people like Ince to heel.

I think everyone knew Houllier was fighting a war and fighting it well, and it was resturning respect to the playing side of the club which brought him instant respect.

Maybe had Hodgson been given the same job back then, he may have been able to neutralise the spice boys the way Houllier did, I suppose we'll never know, but one thing's for sure I think Houllier had it far tougher from outside the club than Hodgson ever did. It's clear most of the media and English managers wanted him to fail, in fact I think it was probably only us, David O'Leiry and Wenger who had any time for the man.

I for one was blindly excited about his rep as the brains of the French operation, and it was some fucking operation, with the World Cup under its belt and Wenger making great strides over here already, that also probably bought him some time. It was an exciting time, not just for the club but for the Premiership IMO.