You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

It's not hard to understand that Kenny wants Downing. It's hard to understand people wanting average, solid players over potentially stunning players, simply because they're English.

Not just because he's English. Although, as you know, I do think that helps.

If we're looking at two players of similar ability, in similar roles, one English, one foreign, then i'd likely go for the English one. Obviously in certain instances there's a foreign player who get's the club, the fans, the culture who is willing to give 110% every game. We've got one in Reina, we've got one in Suarez. I thought we had one in Torres.

Alas in the same instance you can get a player like Stan Collymore or Paul ince who just don't get it, or Joe Cole who is just shite. Each signing has to be made on individual merits; you just have a head-start if you're English. In my humble opinion.

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has agreed a *staggering £13million fee for Ipswich wonder-boy Connor Wickham in a bid to see off Liverpool.

Bruce tabled the stunning package yesterday, with the Black Cats commiting £9m up front and a further £4m in add-ons for the teenage talent.

The size of the offer is so big that the Tractor Boys have been forced to accept and have cleared their home-grown starlet to speak to the Wearside outfit about a major switch.

Sunderland also hope that the amount of cash they are offering will persuade Wickham they are more serious about him than fellow suitors Liverpool.

Kenny Dalglish has been on Wickhan’s trail since he took charge in January - as Football Spy first revealed - but the Kop have not been able to match Sunderland’s financial commitment.

Wickham would like to head for Anfield, but Ipswich have made it plain that Sunderland’s deal is good enough for them - and they will not let him go to Merseyside for less than Bruce is offering.

10 things you need to know about Connor Wickham plus video of him in action

Fuck me that a stupid fee,i hope we dont match it

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Potentially....

Exactly. That potential may never be realised and we arent in a position to wait two or three years for someone to reach their potential. We need to get back to the Top 4 asap

Three or four years? What! Turan can come in and be top quality just as quickly as Suarez, Alonso, Reina, Torres and Mascherano did. So could Mata. Downing will never be top quality. Keane was never going to be. Cole was never going to be. Bellamy was never going to be. Pennant was never going to be. The same arguments used for Downing were used for those. In fact, some people arguing for Downing argued for getting Pennant over Daniel Alves, just in the same way people want Downing over Turan or Mata. Same argument, sorry for thinking it will be the same result.

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce has agreed a *staggering £13million fee for Ipswich wonder-boy Connor Wickham in a bid to see off Liverpool.

Bruce tabled the stunning package yesterday, with the Black Cats commiting £9m up front and a further £4m in add-ons for the teenage talent.

The size of the offer is so big that the Tractor Boys have been forced to accept and have cleared their home-grown starlet to speak to the Wearside outfit about a major switch.

Sunderland also hope that the amount of cash they are offering will persuade Wickham they are more serious about him than fellow suitors Liverpool.

Kenny Dalglish has been on Wickhan’s trail since he took charge in January - as Football Spy first revealed - but the Kop have not been able to match Sunderland’s financial commitment.

Wickham would like to head for Anfield, but Ipswich have made it plain that Sunderland’s deal is good enough for them - and they will not let him go to Merseyside for less than Bruce is offering.

10 things you need to know about Connor Wickham plus video of him in action

Fuck me that a stupid fee,i hope we dont match it

More than anything, if true, this means the N`Gog deal is off.

Not just because he's English. Although, as you know, I do think that helps.

If we're looking at two players of similar ability, in similar roles, one English, one foreign, then i'd likely go for the English one. Obviously in certain instances there's a foreign player who get's the club, the fans, the culture who is willing to give 110% every game. We've got one in Reina, we've got one in Suarez. I thought we had one in Torres.

Alas in the same instance you can get a player like Stan Collymore or Paul ince who just don't get it, or Joe Cole who is just shite. Each signing has to be made on individual merits; you just have a head-start if you're English. In my humble opinion.

Forgot to mention Kuyt as one of dem bloody foreigners who gets what it means to be a red.

Three or four years? What! Turan can come in and be top quality just as quickly as Suarez, Alonso, Reina, Torres and Mascherano did. So could Mata. Downing will never be top quality. Keane was never going to be. Cole was never going to be. Bellamy was never going to be. Pennant was never going to be. The same arguments used for Downing were used for those. In fact, some people arguing for Downing argued for getting Pennant over Daniel Alves, just in the same way people want Downing over Turan or Mata. Same argument, sorry for thinking it will be the same result.

But there is one glaring difference between then and now.

(plus Downing is better than keane, cole, pennant etc.)

Don't be sorry mate. I actually knew Pennant was going to be shite and also Morientes!

I actually agree with you that it's a little disappointing if we only end up buying these British players and no one of real top top quality. I was saying what Barrett said in interview when asked why were only buying British. I'd like to see what happens at the end of Aug and who we have.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
But there is one glaring difference between then and now.

Kenny is just as capable of making mistakes in the transfer market as Rafa. Let us not forget some of the incredible quality Rafa got in here. In general, if he spent big he did well.

(plus Downing is better than keane, cole, pennant etc.)

Downing is Keane*. Downing is Barry**. Downing is a hundred other English players that are quite good. Will he make it at Liverpool? I bloody hope so.

* Before we signed him and people were all over him, like they are Downing.

** When we were trying to sign him to replace Alonso.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Times running with Clichy turning down deal and wanting move to Liverpool. Anyone got a subscription?

It's looking more and more like a bit of a deal, isn't it. Clichy for, what, 5/6m? I think he's a lot of player for that money.

I've got a subscription, it's a tiny line at the end of an article about Arsenal and Gervinho and Cahill:

Clichy, the left back, has rejected Arsenal’s suggestion, made last season, to extend his contract beyond next season and wants to move to Liverpool.

It's looking more and more like a bit of a deal, isn't it. Clichy for, what, 5/6m? I think he's a lot of player for that money.

Agreed. If we get him for that its a bargain. He was the best lb in europe not long ago. In a team with better balance in defence and attack he could be awesome again. Only 25 too

I've got a subscription, it's a tiny line at the end of an article about Arsenal and Alvarez:

Clichy, the left back, has rejected Arsenal’s suggestion, made last season, to extend his contract beyond next season and wants to move to Liverpool.

Who wrote the article?