You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

Firstly, I also love Kenny as much as the next guy mate

And against Ferguson, Wenger , Mancini and one of the typical Chelsea appointments next season, with a squad of his choice, it wouldn't've surprised me in the slightest if Kenny delivered the PL title.

However, as an example, in the Europa we should've done a lot better.

I would've preferred someone else for the long term.

Did FSG's perception of the fans love for Kenny and the possible fallout (in their eyes) not play a part in not contemplating appointing someone else for the long term, and not pursuing AVB, for example?

That's what I meant by the "sentimental" aspect mate.

I want LFC to get back to prominence once again - and with how poor the PL is, combined with the zoo Chelsea and Man City are, the fact that Arsenal aren't exactly excelling; and Man U are quite a moderate side, actually - I think we wouldn't had a realistic chance of doing this and be the top dogs for many years to come. I'm not saying Kenny couldn't've done that to a certain extent, certainly in the similar circumstances of all the other clubs in the PL last season, but, I think AVB would've been better for LFC's quest for long term sustained success than Kenny.

*I'm thinking where LFC should be in the long term on a consistent basis, and being able win and challenge in this vain, especially bearing in mind that characters like Guardiola and Mourinho could turn up in the PL in the foreseeable future. I wanted a manager who would be able to meet these challenges; not just now, but in years to come.

I rate Kenny more highly than Wenger, Mancini, and in some aspects, Ferguson ie tactically.

So, I am a fan of the man and, in normal circumstances, would've been chuffed to bits with his appointment. Still would've been, in the short-term, at least, against the likes of Ferguson, Wenger and Mancini.

Now, this is purely hypothetical, subjective and probably a daft point as well (but humour me) - if AVB IS appointed at Chelsea, meets all their objectives and turns out to be a better manager than the King (which I think he will be); could this appointment still me seen as totally rational and a wholly unemotional one?

In fairness, best to wait and see how next season unfolds. I think AVB would've absolutely immense at LFC.

Edit: The S Clarke factor does give me additional confidence, generally, though.

I'm sure you'll get as much stick for this as you'd like, and I'm not gonna contribute to that any more than I've done, but I do have an issue with your "long term" view.

Say we had hired Villas Boas; while I do agree that he might coach until his 70th birthday or longer, what are the odds he'd stick with us for more than 4 or 5 of those years if he was to be successful? Who's to say he won't do a Mourinho and travel through Europe for his entire career? He has no "natural" connection to Liverpool after all.

I just don't see why VB would be a more long term solution than Kenny, who will stick around for another 10-15 years if his health permits it (I take it for granted that he'll provide success).

This guy has shown some promise but the level of admiration from neutral fans that he has generated is laughable. If this deal does go ahead for him it will be as big as test as he could possibly take. The politics in Chelsea not just from Abromovich's tinkering but the dressing room egos will be incredibly difficult to deal with. Terry/Drogba/Lampard all around the same age as this guy. Will they respect him enough after playing under the likes of Ancelloti, Mourinho, Scolari etc? Will he be able to deal with the likes of Torres and Anelka?

Hugo, you keep implying that AVB would have been a more long-term appointment than Kenny. What about the possibility that AVB considers 3 years or so as an ample managerial stint, much like his mentor Mourinho? Even Guardiola has claimed that 3 years is long enough, despite agreeing to a 4th term as Barca coach. The club might wish for a long-term appointment, but it's unlikely that the very top candidates see things the same way.

Also, AVB has stated that due to the stressful nature of the job, he doesn't envisage coaching beyond the next 10 years or so, despite still being very young (he's only a year older than me!). I'm certain he'd want to include a national job in that time.

EDIT: Biscao you beat me to it.

Firstly, I also love Kenny as much as the next guy mate

And against Ferguson, Wenger , Mancini and one of the typical Chelsea appointments next season, with a squad of his choice, it wouldn't've surprised me in the slightest if Kenny delivered the PL title.

However, as an example, in the Europa we should've done a lot better.

I would've preferred someone else for the long term.

Did FSG's perception of the fans love for Kenny and the possible fallout (in their eyes) not play a part in not contemplating appointing someone else for the long term, and not pursuing AVB, for example?

That's what I meant by the "sentimental" aspect mate.

I want LFC to get back to prominence once again - and with how poor the PL is, combined with the zoo Chelsea and Man City are, the fact that Arsenal aren't exactly excelling; and Man U are quite a moderate side, actually - I think we wouldn't had a realistic chance of doing this and be the top dogs for many years to come. I'm not saying Kenny couldn't've done that to a certain extent, certainly in the similar circumstances of all the other clubs in the PL last season, but, I think AVB would've been better for LFC's quest for long term sustained success than Kenny.

*I'm thinking where LFC should be in the long term on a consistent basis, and being able win and challenge in this vain, especially bearing in mind that characters like Guardiola and Mourinho could turn up in the PL in the foreseeable future. I wanted a manager who would be able to meet these challenges; not just now, but in years to come.

I rate Kenny more highly than Wenger, Mancini, and in some aspects, Ferguson ie tactically.

So, I am a fan of the man and, in normal circumstances, would've been chuffed to bits with his appointment. Still would've been, in the short-term, at least, against the likes of Ferguson, Wenger and Mancini.

Now, this is purely hypothetical, subjective and probably a daft point as well (but humour me) - if AVB IS appointed at Chelsea, meets all their objectives and turns out to be a better manager than the King (which I think he will be); could this appointment still me seen as totally rational and a wholly unemotional one?

In fairness, best to wait and see how next season unfolds. I think AVB would've absolutely immense at LFC.

Edit: The S Clarke factor does give me additional confidence, generally, though.

I agree with you that we should have done better in the Europa league, but there were a lot of other circumstances that dictated us going out, most notably not having Suarez available due to that stupid rule, Carroll not being fit to start a game till Braga at home (and even then he wasnt match fit) and Gerrard was injured from February onwards (Despite the United game in March).

As for the rest of your post, I dont know how you can say Kenny isnt here for the long term, he's only just turned 60 and he is in very good health and there is no reason why he cant manage us for the next 10 years if he's succesful. As for Villas Boas being in it for the long haul, you are wrong there Im afraid, he's been quoted as saying that he wants to only manage for 10 years before quitting because he wants be able to see his family, so how is that different to Dalglish as long as he stays healthy and hungry for success?

Of course Kennys position with the fans had something to do with his appointment, but thats not to say that he never deserved it, as lets face it, if he had been rubbish, we (the fans) would have been the first to admit that we need to go for someone different, Kenny made FSG's decision easy with the fantastic job he done in the second half of last season, thats not sentimental, it was a practical decision, if its not broke, dont fix it.

I cant diasgree with you on your point about wanting us to be succesful, and that the standard is rubbish in the league. Ive been banging that drum for ages, mate.

I'm sure you'll get as much stick for this as you'd like, and I'm not gonna contribute to that any more than I've done, but I do have an issue with your "long term" view.

Say we had hired Villas Boas; while I do agree that he might coach until his 70th birthday or longer, what are the odds he'd stick with us for more than 4 or 5 of those years if he was to be successful? Who's to say he won't do a Mourinho and travel through Europe for his entire career? He has no "natural" connection to Liverpool after all.

I just don't see why VB would be a more long term solution than Kenny, who will stick around for another 10-15 years if his health permits it (I take it for granted that he'll provide success).

That's the case with any manager you hire, though. Surely, we should hire the manager who is best for the job and not who has a connection with the club?

We also don't know if AVB or any other foreign manager wouldn't develop the sort of affinity for LFC that Wenger has for Arsenal.

But if VB was more successful (and this is purely hypothetical just like all of us believing that Kenny will be as well), than that would provide a better long term solution.

I'm just putting it out there, from my view of what I think will be the best route for LFC to take (success is what we are all united in, anyway).

Don't know if that warrants name calling from some quarters. I'm a delicate soul:biggrin:

Guest Numero Veinticinco
How's he going to manage on a cold, wet night in Stoke?

A coat for every occasion. Except light drizzle.

I agree with you that we should have done better in the Europa league, but there were a lot of other circumstances that dictated us going out, most notably not having Suarez available due to that stupid rule, Carroll not being fit to start a game till Braga at home (and even then he wasnt match fit) and Gerrard was injured from February onwards (Despite the United game in March).

I dont know how you can say Kenny isnt here for the long term, he's only just turned 60 and he is in very good health and there is no reason why he cant manage us for the next 10 years

I wasn't referring to age mate, I was referring to level of success achieved in that period. Let's say AVB managed us for only 10 years, I think he would be a lot more successful than Kenny in that same (long term) period. Just my opinion. I was implying success in the long term.

Of course Kennys position with the fans had something to do with his appointment, but thats not to say that he never deserved it, as lets face it, if he had been rubbish, we (the fans) would have been the first to admit that we need to go for someone different, .

Not everyone mate....You know that just as well as I do!

If he goes to Chelsea, I think he will be absolutely sensational. This guy is very special, and the move to the PL wouldn't come too soon.

People talk about how young he is, but he also started Coaching from a young age - 17yrs! Not to mention what he has already achieved, including playing a big part in Chelsea's success under Mourinho, which Mourinho acknowledges.

Villas Boas is the guy I wanted as manager this summer, ahead of Kenny. I think he will turn out to be a far better manager than Kenny.

As much as we love Kenny and he did an excellent job on his return, I fear missing out on Villas Boas, will prove that appointing Kenny was a sentimental and short-sighted decision.

I'd fancy Chelsea to win the PL next season with Villas Boas in charge.

You think he will be a better manager than Kenny? Based on what exactly? I assume you watch portugese football week in, week out. Even then, you can only compare to the early days of kenny which were ace.

Be honest, how much have you seen of the portugese league?

Regrettably I am now having to reconsider my view that we will win the title next season, if Villa Boas joins Chelsea then they will win it in a Canter

The only saving grace is the coach being undermined by the owner.

Not great news for the rest of the PL

You think he will be a better manager than Kenny? Based on what exactly? I assume you watch portugese football week in, week out. Even then, you can only compare to the early days of kenny which were ace.

Be honest, how much have you seen of the portugese league?

That's not really relevant is it? You could have asked exactly the same question about Mourinho when he came here, and he fucking bossed it from Day One.

Guest TK-421
Regrettably I am now having to reconsider my view that we will win the title next season, if Villa Boas joins Chelsea then they will win it in a Canter

Does this mean you're not going to wait until our business is concluded before making a judgment?

I dont know how you can say Kenny isnt here for the long term, he's only just turned 60 and he is in very good health and there is no reason why he cant manage us for the next 10 years

I wasn't referring to age mate, I was referring to level of success achieved in that period. Let's say AVB managed us for only 10 years, I think he would be a lot more successful than Kenny in that same (long term) period. Just my opinion. I was implying success in the long term.

Of course Kennys position with the fans had something to do with his appointment, but thats not to say that he never deserved it, as lets face it, if he had been rubbish, we (the fans) would have been the first to admit that we need to go for someone different, .

Not everyone mate....You know that just as well as I do!

I can't think of anybody alive better than Kenny Dalglish to manage Liverpool Football Club.

I admit AVB would have been my choice if Kenny hadn't fancied it but you can see how hungry he is. IMO it's never been more exciting to be an LFC fan. I love Kenny more than I love my missus.

Insert Chris Crocker .gif here.

Not a chance its going to be that easy,just because he was dick heads right hand man does not mean he will do the same as him,overhyped comes to mind.Im not saying he is nt a good manager but i would say he is unproven at the very top level,europa cup is not a benchmark for his for future sucsess

This is a genuine question, as I'm curious - regardless of how the King does next season, if Guardiola, as expected, becomes available next summer, and for a variety of reasons LFC would appeal to him; anyone want FSG to consider him as an option and not miss out on him to another PL club?

This is a genuine question, as I'm curious - regardless of how the King does next season, if Guardiola, as expected, becomes available next summer, and for a variety of reasons LFC would appeal to him; anyone want FSG to consider him as an option and not miss out on him to another PL club?

It rather does depend on how Kenny does next season, doesn't it?