You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Time to do something about agents?

straight_red

As this news article points out, Portsmouth are around £120 million in debt with £9 million being owed to agents (£2.3 million of that is for one deal). So is it time to do something about those who make money from football's transfer system?

They aggitate their players until they agree to move, tell them to go for the most cash rather than what's best for them as a football, they also get fees when a player signs a new contract at their existing club, even if very little negotiation is done. Is this something that needs to be better regulated?

I think the best thing would be for the players to pay the agents fees themselves. It shouldnt be part of any transfer deal.

I know it would be hard to police but if it worked at least it would be money from the players pockets paying the leeching agents and not money from the fans' pockets.

Unfortunately it would take uniform agreement to be of any use. With the likes of chelsea, man city, real madrid etc about this is highly unlikely to happen.

Think Scholes for one doesn't have an agent, does his own negotiating.

Probably because he is an boring ugly manc cunt so he is not very attractive for commercials.

I`d say it would be impossible for a top player today to not have an agent.

I think the best thing would be for the players to pay the agents fees themselves. It shouldnt be part of any transfer deal.

I know it would be hard to police but if it worked at least it would be money from the players pockets paying the leeching agents and not money from the fans' pockets.

Unfortunately it would take uniform agreement to be of any use. With the likes of chelsea, man city, real madrid etc about this is highly unlikely to happen.

That's correct. If I was a player I'd probably want an agent to assist with the negotiating of contracts and my fee to appear in the next adidas advert.

I would expect to pay the agent for perfoming this service.

Agents should not be paid by clubs.

Footballers are by and large stupid so they need someone slightly more intelligent than them to read and interpret contracts. Why they get paid so much I don't know. You'd think these cunts would be content with around £100k p/a but no, they want to be paid millions - and the players and the clubs agree to their ridiculous demands.

As this news article points out, Portsmouth are around £120 million in debt with £9 million being owed to agents (£2.3 million of that is for one deal). So is it time to do something about those who make money from football's transfer system?

They aggitate their players until they agree to move, tell them to go for the most cash rather than what's best for them as a football, they also get fees when a player signs a new contract at their existing club, even if very little negotiation is done. Is this something that needs to be better regulated?

As noted years ago :whistle:

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/37437-who-needs-panorama.html#post506837

I'd like to know what you predicted about Josemi? Or didn't predict. . . . . . . . . . . . . whichever the case may be.

That he'd be first choice right back by January. Which he was, he was then sold.

Predictions about Nunez, Morientes, Kewell, Mellor etc can also be found amongst my posts.

Feel free to have a look.

The problem is it's not just agents representing players. They also represent clubs in any transfer negotiation. They cannot represent both club and player. Pini Zahavi has facilitated many deals between clubs and players, even if he doesn't directly represent the player. He can then claim a "facilitation fee" for services rendered.

Sometimes, a club looking to move a player on will enlist an independent agent to make other clubs aware that he's available. Any interested parties contact the club and will have permission to speak to the player (via the player's agent) if they make a suitable offer first. The agent enlisted by the club in the first instance will no doubt want a cut of the fee, which the selling club has to pay.

It's stupid but it happens. It's all supposedly there to circumvent FA rules on tapping up etc.

I agree though, that fees for any services a player's agent carries out on behalf of the player should come out of the player's salary. The salary should not be increased to cover these expenses. At the moment, clubs are forking out ridiculous expenses for things the player can easily pay for, considering he's supposedly providing a long-term commitment by signing a contract. I understand things like temporary accommodation and school advice are necessary, but buying a player a fancy house or apartment as well as paying for the kids' tuition fees is excessive. It takes the burden of responsibility away from the players, and is the chief cause of why they feel they are on an elevated plane compared to us "normal folk".

Edited by kopaloadofthis

The problem is it's not just agents representing players. They also represent clubs in any transfer negotiation. They cannot represent both club and player. Pini Zahavi has facilitated many deals between clubs and players, even if he doesn't directly represent the player. He can then claim a "facilitation fee" for services rendered.

Sometimes, a club looking to move a player on will enlist an independent agent to make other clubs aware that he's available. Any interested parties contact the club and will have permission to speak to the player (via the player's agent) if they make a suitable offer first. The agent enlisted by the club in the first instance will no doubt want a cut of the fee, which the selling club has to pay.

It's stupid but it happens. It's all supposedly there to circumvent FA rules on tapping up etc.

Interesting. Do you remember where you read about that?

Interesting. Do you remember where you read about that?

Not really no. It might have been in "World Soccer" magazine, to which I've been a subscriber for over 10 years.

It's not dissimilar to you or I employing the services of an estate agent to sell our house. Likewise, it's a world full of bloodsucking leeches.