You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reserves and Academy

RedLars

Hi,

Which reserve and academy players will leave the club this summer?

Which reserve and academy players really needs a loan deal next season?

My guess is that Brouwer, Weilj, Threlfall, Oldfield, Hansen will leave. Pepper will probably leave.

Spearing, Darby and Eccleston should continue with loan deals. Ayala and Pacheco should also go out on loan. Maybe also Duran if he can stay fit long enough.

There is Wikipedia page called "Liverpool_F.C._Reserves_and_Academy" that contains a list of our current reserves and academy player if you do not remember all the players.

I think Duran HAS to go out on loan, he's too old, considering the new rules, to keep here if he isn't going to play. After all he's been through he deserves a chance to prove himself, give him a six month move (Eredivisie might be a good move) to see if he shows his talent and is worthy of a shot here.

Duran set up one of the goals and McMahon is delighted to have him back available for selection again.

"Fran is a fantastic lad to have around the place and it's great to have him back playing again," McMahon told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"He is a very clever player and has a really good football brain. He can pick a good pass and has lots of enthusiasm. Everything about him is right to be a top professional.

"We are really pleased to see him back and he shows great qualities in training and on the pitch. We are all keeping our fingers crossed that Fran can stay injury free and keep progressing.

"Mentally he is really strong. He has kept his focus and has been determined to get back playing again. To have one cruciate knee injury is bad enough but to have three takes some mental strength to get through that.

"The medical staff all need a pat on the back. They have worked hard with him and got him back with us."

Spearing is too old to go out on loan again next season. And that's part of the problem with a lot of other reserves, we seem to loan them out too late or when it's clear they have no future with us.

It's difficult to loan out players if nobody wants to take them on of course, but we always seem to do it at the wrong time.

Between the reserves and the first team are also players like El Zhar and Plessis who should be moved on.

I don't think it's clear that Jay has no future here at all. With Lucas looking more suited to a role where he is allowed to make runs from deep Jay could well be a useful cover for mascha next year, he certainly seems more suited to the anchor role than Lucas to me. He's showing that he excels in the championship, why's it so questionable that he could make it in the prem? His size? two words - Nobby Stiles.

But yeah, I agree that he won't be on loan next year.

Edited by Pidge

I could also see Spearing back here next season - particularly if we spend our "transfer warchest" on the left-hand side. I'm not sure we'd be doing him any favours though as he wouldn't get regular games unless we had an injury crisis.

I was implying that Spearing was one of the ones we've loaned out too late rather than one of those who has no future here. I think he could have a future with us, but next season is probably make or break for him with us.

A season long loan deal last season would have been ideal, but he probably should have been getting games under his belt before that on a shorter loan deal.

i think theese will leave us in the summer, jay ellison, marcus giglio, michael ihiekwe, adam pepper, damien plessis, nabil el zhar, martin hansen, emmanuel mendy, andras simon and vincent weijl, pretty unsure on threlfall, he seems like a decent player but his contract ends up in the summer right? pretty unsure on michael roberts too, he is 19 years old this year and hasnt played for the reserves yet, same with sean highdale!

Anyone knows if we have som really REALLY good talent i the u16? toni silva ofc, someone else?

edit: jordy brouwer would definately leave

Hate to quote a film here but I think its necessary.

Young talent it like popcorn, some pop, some don't.

There was no doubting that the Owen's, Gerrards and Fowlers of this world were guranteed first teamers from their mid teens, so if these guys ain't showing it now, get rid.

To be honest I can't remember the last time us or any other top team has been wrong when dumping a teenager who then turns out to be world class.

Then again there is always your Carraghers and Rushies of this world who took a bit longer getting into their stride, so I can understand the reluctance in letting some of these kids go.

Anyone knows if we have som really REALLY good talent i the u16? toni silva ofc, someone else?

Emilsson, Wisdom and Sokolik are all 16, but u18 players I believe. Otherwise Jack Robinson and Raheem Sterling are getting/have gotten a fair bit of media attention.

Wisdom seems to be quality, Emilsson and Sokolik should both be pushing the ressies squad next year imo (Mr Soko already is). I've only seen Sterling once and it was just after he arrived, he didn't quite click with the rest and Silva overshadowed him, but it seems his talent is coming through now he's integrated. I don't think I've ever seen Robinson in action.

I'm sure Dave U or Dynamite or someone knows better than I do.

If we end up in the Europa Cup next season there could be some opportunities in the first half of the season for the likes of Spearing, Pacheco, Kelly, Darby, Ayala & Eccleston.

I would like to see Rafa play a decent team at home but use the squad for the away games, as Torres,Gerrard,Masch Johnson & others will be fatigued from the World Cup.

If we can't be in the top 3 of a league of 5 using the above system we deserve to go out of it.

pidge/

yee, and ive heard good things about tom walsh as well, then we have matt regan who plays for england u16 with tyrell belford.

tbps/

so you think he will still be here next season? you think he is good enough, and that he can be a decent player?

They actually scrapped that system, Rog. It's 12 groups of 4 now with the top two going through to meet the 8 losers from the Champions League.

I meant , if we can't get through a group of 4 as one of the top two to meet the 8 losers from the Champions League , we deserve to go out.

Spearing is too old to go out on loan again next season. And that's part of the problem with a lot of other reserves, we seem to loan them out too late or when it's clear they have no future with us.

It's difficult to loan out players if nobody wants to take them on of course, but we always seem to do it at the wrong time.

Between the reserves and the first team are also players like El Zhar and Plessis who should be moved on.

Agree the timing of our loan deals is a big issue. Regarding Spearing I am honestly uncertain of many games he will get staying at Liverpool. Might be best for his development to get more experience.

If we end up in the Europa Cup next season there could be some opportunities in the first half of the season for the likes of Spearing, Pacheco, Kelly, Darby, Ayala & Eccleston.

I would like to see Rafa play a decent team at home but use the squad for the away games, as Torres,Gerrard,Masch Johnson & others will be fatigued from the World Cup.

If we can't be in the top 3 of a league of 5 using the above system we deserve to go out of it.

It is difficult to know what is best for the development of each individual player. Staying with the first team and getting a limited number of games or going on loan and hopefully being involved every week.

I would say at least Eccleston of the five you mentioned is at the moment not good enough for the first team judging by his lack of success at Huddersfield. Would probably add Darby and Ayala into the category not ready for the first team and need a loan deal.

sounds great tbps, what do people think about craig roddan? on the official he sounds really interesting;

"Craig is a central midfield player who possesses both a sublime range of passing and outstanding technique.

The Fazakerley-born youngster is a good competitor who has a strong work ethic and is very athletic."