You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Advice please

NelCarra

I did an off-peak USA National rail pass for about 28/30 days. It was about four years ago now, so I don't know if they still do it. Needless to say off-peak was way cheaper. About £220 on memory (feb 2006).

I flew in to San Fran and left via NYC. But also had to fly a leg between San Antonio and Florida as they hadn't repaired the line after the hurricane in New Orleans. Journeys can take along time, and depending on the route or which part of the US you are going will depend how good or frequent the service is. In my experience 15 days is not a great deal. Although if you stay a few days before activating you ticket and fly out of a different destination and stay for a few days beyond when you ticket ends you could have a nice trip there.

I've got loads if advice and tips. But I'm just off to bed, so Ill type it out in the next day or so and bump this thread.

Niceone

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amtrak, right where to start?

First off, I just want to say that if this sounds critical of Amtrak, the only reason is so that you can understand the limitations of the network and be fully aware of what you might experience so that you can decide if it suits your needs.

I had a great time and found it an interesting way to travel. Since I was on my Todd, I didn’t fancy driving the whole west coast, across the whole width of the states and then back up the entire east coast. It’s a fucking massive country and I didn’t really want to undertake so much driving. I did do, San Fran to San Diego, and because of hurricane Catriona had to fly from Texas to Florida.

I didn’t fancy doing Greyhound for a number of reasons. Firstly, because it stops in every one-horse town. Secondly, private transport is cheap in the states and I’d heard that those that use Greyhound are pretty much the people who can afford little else and as a result it can get quite hairy at time (stories about knifes pulled, etc). Thirdly because the bus stations are often in the piss poor end of the city centre and when you’re getting dropped off in the middle of the night (as can happen when travelling huge distances) I didn’t really want the worry or hassle of being left on the wrong side of the track, clearly with money and not a clue where I’m going.

Anyway Amtrak.

First think to understand is that passenger rail went bust in the US years ago (with the exception of the North-east NYC, etc). As such the freight companies bought out the track and have ran it into the ground. Freight trains get priority over passengers for most of the network, as a result you can wait about for an hour or so, just so a freight train can get through. This can make the punctuality of services questionable from time to time, but largely they do okay on the timetable (give an hour or two). Still, make sure if you book a train that you turn up on time, cos you may need to check in and sods law dictates that you’ll miss a train.

That brings me on the frequency of the service. On cross country routes, say LA to Miami, you will lucky to get one train every two days. So you need to be sure that the timetable fits into your plans and that you have some flexibility in your plans. On the west coast, Philly, DC, NYC and Boston the trains on this part of the network are much more efficient and reliable.

Next the Network. It covers shit loads of places, however not all of these can be reached by train. Amtrak run an affiliate system where the supplement their rail network with coaches. I had to use one of these, but mostly avoided them. You will find that, unlike Greyhound they quite safe and not especially busy. Take a good look at the network map, this should differentiate between the two.

Journey times are long, so if you have limited time consider scaling you ambitions. With a 15 day pass, while its possible to get from one side of the country to the other and back, you’ll have limited time to see anything where you do stop. But each to their own, if you want to go shit or bust then do it, it’s just not my cup of tea.

The trains themselves are decent, spacious and have basic services. I’d say all have a buffet car, restaurant car and possible sleeper service.

If you want to upgrade to business or sleeper this will cost loads more, so if you’re on a budget, I doubt you’ll go with it. If you do want to, wait till you get on the train and speak to the conductor. He has the power to sell empty upgrades and you maybe able to haggle.

The coach cars are spacious, good leg room. I’m 6ft 4-ish and I managed to get a kip without too much trouble and had plenty of leg room. That said there isn’t too much to actually do on board. Scenery of course is great, but after 4 hours of desert and cacti then you’ll get board, so take plenty to do. Most seats/coaches have a power socket so you’ll be able to charge ipod’s etc.

The menu in the buffet car is very limited and journeys are long , so take plenty of grub to avoid a pretty shit menu. The restaurant car is not especially good, mind you I only really had breakfast and I’m not a massive fan of American breakfasts in any case.

Some routes have viewing cars, with massive glass panels, these are less and less these days. Supposedly great for seeing the landscape, but I never had the pleasure.

I found the people who used Amtrak to be interesting. I met some really good people, from fellow backpackers, war vets, OAP’s, Latin American illegal immigrants and even Amish. Everyone was friendly and as it’s quite expensive for domestic users I never felt at risk of myself or possessions or anything as everyone seemed sound (sorry if that sounds snobby but I’m getting to tired to type).

I’m typed out, so any further questions, just give me a shout and I’ll get back to you.

Edited by RJ Fan club

thailand, bali, austrailia and then south america, you're not a back packer until you've been mugged for 50p in rio.

i've always found the likes of sta travel and trailfinders to be really helpful - if there's one nearby go in and speak to them. there's never any pressure and more often than not their staff have done what you're planning.

thailand, bali, austrailia and then south america, you're not a back packer until you've been mugged for 50p in rio.

i've always found the likes of sta travel and trailfinders to be really helpful - if there's one nearby go in and speak to them. there's never any pressure and more often than not their staff have done what you're planning.

Thats the stuff ive been looking up on etc so at leat im on the right path, that amtrak when yout in the states seems a good idea

Bollocks to Australia, it's full of Australians and loads of Brits.

Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam are far more interesting and you can visit these whilst seeing some of Thailand (Though there are also plenty of twatpackers there as well).

Though if you're getting a RTW ticket then Australia will most likely be included anyway, and English speaking countries are a lot less daunting if it's your first time away on your own.

Bollocks to Australia, it's full of Australians and loads of Brits.

Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam are far more interesting and you can visit these whilst seeing some of Thailand (Though there are also plenty of twatpackers there as well).

Though if you're getting a RTW ticket then Australia will most likely be included anyway, and English speaking countries are a lot less daunting if it's your first time away on your own.

Ive been looking at RTW tickets the 1st one includes London to LA to Auckland to Hongkong which is 700 the 2nd one includes London – Johannesburg– Singapore– Bali – Brisbane – overland – Melbourne – Auckland – Cook Islands – Los Angeles – overland– New York back to London which is 1200

Amtrak, right where to start?

First off, I just want to say that if this sounds critical of Amtrak, the only reason is so that you can understand the limitations of the network and be fully aware of what you might experience so that you can decide if it suits your needs.

I had a great time and found it an interesting way to travel. Since I was on my Todd, I didn’t fancy driving the whole west coast, across the whole width of the states and then back up the entire east coast. It’s a fucking massive country and I didn’t really want to undertake so much driving. I did do, San Fran to San Diego, and because of hurricane Catriona had to fly from Texas to Florida.

I didn’t fancy doing Greyhound for a number of reasons. Firstly, because it stops in every one-horse town. Secondly, private transport is cheap in the states and I’d heard that those that use Greyhound are pretty much the people who can afford little else and as a result it can get quite hairy at time (stories about knifes pulled, etc). Thirdly because the bus stations are often in the piss poor end of the city centre and when you’re getting dropped off in the middle of the night (as can happen when travelling huge distances) I didn’t really want the worry or hassle of being left on the wrong side of the track, clearly with money and not a clue where I’m going.

Anyway Amtrak.

First think to understand is that passenger rail went bust in the US years ago (with the exception of the North-east NYC, etc). As such the freight companies bought out the track and have ran it into the ground. Freight trains get priority over passengers for most of the network, as a result you can wait about for an hour or so, just so a freight train can get through. This can make the punctuality of services questionable from time to time, but largely they do okay on the timetable (give an hour or two). Still, make sure if you book a train that you turn up on time, cos you may need to check in and sods law dictates that you’ll miss a train.

That brings me on the frequency of the service. On cross country routes, say LA to Miami, you will lucky to get one train every two days. So you need to be sure that the timetable fits into your plans and that you have some flexibility in your plans. On the west coast, Philly, DC, NYC and Boston the trains on this part of the network are much more efficient and reliable.

Next the Network. It covers shit loads of places, however not all of these can be reached by train. Amtrak run an affiliate system where the supplement their rail network with coaches. I had to use one of these, but mostly avoided them. You will find that, unlike Greyhound they quite safe and not especially busy. Take a good look at the network map, this should differentiate between the two.

Journey times are long, so if you have limited time consider scaling you ambitions. With a 15 day pass, while its possible to get from one side of the country to the other and back, you’ll have limited time to see anything where you do stop. But each to their own, if you want to go shit or bust then do it, it’s just not my cup of tea.

The trains themselves are decent, spacious and have basic services. I’d say all have a buffet car, restaurant car and possible sleeper service.

If you want to upgrade to business or sleeper this will cost loads more, so if you’re on a budget, I doubt you’ll go with it. If you do want to, wait till you get on the train and speak to the conductor. He has the power to sell empty upgrades and you maybe able to haggle.

The coach cars are spacious, good leg room. I’m 6ft 4-ish and I managed to get a kip without too much trouble and had plenty of leg room. That said there isn’t too much to actually do on board. Scenery of course is great, but after 4 hours of desert and cacti then you’ll get board, so take plenty to do. Most seats/coaches have a power socket so you’ll be able to charge ipod’s etc.

The menu in the buffet car is very limited and journeys are long , so take plenty of grub to avoid a pretty shit menu. The restaurant car is not especially good, mind you I only really had breakfast and I’m not a massive fan of American breakfasts in any case.

Some routes have viewing cars, with massive glass panels, these are less and less these days. Supposedly great for seeing the landscape, but I never had the pleasure.

I found the people who used Amtrak to be interesting. I met some really good people, from fellow backpackers, war vets, OAP’s, Latin American illegal immigrants and even Amish. Everyone was friendly and as it’s quite expensive for domestic users I never felt at risk of myself or possessions or anything as everyone seemed sound (sorry if that sounds snobby but I’m getting to tired to type).

I’m typed out, so any further questions, just give me a shout and I’ll get back to you.

this has helped me out now end...

hadnt seen thread before i started the other one...

• 2 weeks later...

drink and clean teeth with bottled water, get some shit stoppers for long bus journeys, get some different shit busters for cleaning your gut out.

you probably think you know how much cash you need, add another 50%.

Haggle but not narky just with a laugh.

Don't fall for the gamble on an old peanut under a cup trick.

If something sounds to good to be true then it probably is.

Keep an eye on your card online in case it gets cloned

Don't use a credit card to draw cash instead load the cash onto the card and then draw it.

Don't use your debit card, use a credit one.

Roll with it, it's more fun and less hassle on your brain.

Tip people small amounts of cash it goes a long way to being treated like a person than one of the herd.

Even when you think your having a nightmare of an experience in a few years you'll still be boring your mates in the pub with those stories

drink and clean teeth with bottled water, get some shit stoppers for long bus journeys, get some different shit busters for cleaning your gut out.

you probably think you know how much cash you need, add another 50%.

Haggle but not narky just with a laugh.

Don't fall for the gamble on an old peanut under a cup trick.

If something sounds to good to be true then it probably is.

Keep an eye on your card online in case it gets cloned

Don't use a credit card to draw cash instead load the cash onto the card and then draw it.

Don't use your debit card, use a credit one.

Roll with it, it's more fun and less hassle on your brain.

Tip people small amounts of cash it goes a long way to being treated like a person than one of the herd.

Even when you think your having a nightmare of an experience in a few years you'll still be boring your mates in the pub with those stories

This is a great tip. I gave some Thai fella about 30 pence when i was on a boat going to Koh Pangan. He chilled with me for ages on the boat and was telling me about his family, about fishing in these waters, the islands and then sorted me a lift to my accomodation when i got on shore so i didnt have to wait with the rest of the douche bag gap year crowd free of charge. he was proper sound. Great experience

Greyhound bus in america isnt as bad as its supposed to be

Just don't do it in Canada...

Man beheaded on Greyhound bus

Man beheaded on Greyhound bus

Screaming passengers fled in terror from a Greyhound bus as an unidentified fellow passenger suddenly stabbed a man sleeping next to him, decapitated him and waved the severed head at horrified witnesses standing outside.

BRANDON, Man. -- Screaming passengers fled in terror from a Greyhound bus as an unidentified fellow passenger suddenly stabbed a man sleeping next to him, decapitated him and waved the severed head at horrified witnesses standing outside.

The apparently unprovoked assault left 36 men, women and children stranded Wednesday night on the shoulder of the darkening Trans-Canada Highway near Portage la Prairie, Man., about 85 kilometres west of Winnipeg, watching while the bus driver and a driver of a nearby truck shut the crazed attacker inside the bus with the mangled victim.

At a media conference Thursday afternoon, RCMP confirmed they have the suspect -- who is not believed to be from Manitoba -- in custody, but offered few new details on this baffling homicide. The suspect is expected to be formally charged today.

“By the time the police arrived, the driver and the remaining passengers had all safely exited the bus,” said Sgt. Steve Colwell.

He said officers could see the suspect walking around inside the bus, but said he refused to exit. The standoff lasted for hours.

“At 1:28 a.m., the suspect ... attempted to jump out of the bus after breaking a window. He was immediately subdued and arrested without incident and is currently in RCMP custody.”

The suspect’s name has not been released. Police said the victim’s name will not be released until next-of-kin have been notified.

“He didn’t do anything to provoke the guy. The guy just took a knife out and stabbed him, started stabbing him like crazy and cut his head off,” said Garnet Caton, 26, a passenger on the Edmonton-to-Winnipeg bus.

“Some people were puking, some people were crying, other people were in shock ... everybody was running, screaming off the bus.”

Caton said the attacker was only on the bus for a brief period of time, after boarding in western Manitoba.

Passenger Cody Olmstead he had been watching a movie on the bus just before the attack began.

‘We’re in the middle of Zorro and the next thing you know you hear somebody scream,” he told CTV.

Olmstead, 21, said had smoked a cigarette earlier in the trip with the victim, who got on the bus in Edmonton.

"He seemed to be OK, right, just a kid," Olmstead told CBC. “He just said he was going to Winnipeg.”

After the bus pulled over and the terrified passengers fled, Olmstead said the attacker was taunting those outside with the victim’s head.

“Buddy’s going berserk,” he said.

“He walks up to the door, holds the head in the door, just looks at them crazy like and drops the head and walks back to the body and starts cutting ... more.”

Caton told CNN he and other passengers prevented the attacker from getting off the blood-soaked bus by threatening him with makeshift weapons -- a hammer and a crowbar.

“We were telling him, ‘Stay put, stay put, stay there, don’t try to come out.’ He tried to get the bus working and the bus driver disabled the bus somehow in the back, I’m not sure how he did it, and at that point, I think the police showed up,” he said, adding officers rushed them away.

Caton and other passengers said the attacker and his victim, who was listening to music on headphones, were sitting together at the rear of the bus, and the attack appeared to be unprovoked -- no words were exchanged.

Caton described the man who attacked the passenger as possibly Asian or aboriginal, bald and wearing sunglasses. He seemed oblivious to others when the stabbing occurred, said Caton, adding he was struck by how calm the man was.

“There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy.”

Caton said the victim boarded in Edmonton, was aboriginal in appearance, was wearing hip-hop clothing and appeared to be around 20 years of age.

“When we saw the head, we knew he was dead,” he said. “I don’t think the guy knew him at all. I think he was really crazy ... the poor guy, he didn’t see it coming.”

The passengers were later taken to Brandon, Man., to be interviewed by police and to stay overnight at a hotel there.

Crisis counsellors were also at the hotel to provide support to the passengers, and counsellors could be seen chatting with them outside the hotel as groups went out to local stores for snacks or to smoke cigarettes.

One small boy, who was with an adult man and woman, was given a plush teddy bear by a crisis health worker.

“The first thing I heard was something like a terrible type (of) yowl and that was from the guy who got stabbed,” said an elderly woman on the bus, from Winnipeg.

The woman and her adult daughter said they were three or four rows in front of the suspect when the attack began.

“(My daughter said) ‘Oh my God,’ and everybody else started screaming,” she said. “They had terror in their eyes.”

Two other passengers on the bus, a 22-year-old man and 21-year-old woman from France, said they were heading to Winnipeg after visiting the woman’s father in Whitehorse. The 22-year-old man said in French that he saw a man holding a long knife repeatedly stab another passenger. He and his girlfriend said they were shocked by the attack, and the isolation in the middle of the prairie when it occurred.

“There was nowhere to go,” she said.

Speaking in Quebec City, Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day said the issue of safety on buses may need to be examined more closely once the legal process of this case is over.

“We’re never closed to looking at how Canadians can be more safe and more secure,” Day told reporters in Quebec on Thursday. “This particular incident, as horrific as it is, is obviously extremely rare.”

Greyhound spokesman Eric Wesley, speaking from Texas, said drivers are trained to get help as soon as they can when incidents occur.

“This is very rare, unique occurrence. Bus transportation is one of the safest modes of transportation. This is highly unique that something like this happened,” he said. “Our drivers are trained to provide the safest travel for all our passengers, and every time an incident occurs they know to pull the bus over and call 911.”

Wesley said counselling will be provided and monetary compensation will be determined on an individual basis.

“We are going to do whatever we need to provide the passengers with counselling or any other measures to make sure they’re taken care of.”

with a debit card the cash comes out of your account direct and if it gets cloned then your account is fucked until the bank sort it.

a credit card it's the banks cash not yours. BUT if you withdraw cash from a machine using a credit card then the interest is fkin huge. For purchases etc it's fine. The post office do a good one.

Almost all cards charge for using them abroad. Defo go credit card for travelln, cloning is huge and you can keep a track of it and pay it off online

it isn't a problem you just track what your spending online on the CC and transfer the cash over from your current account. Do it all online

South America, America, Central America, South Africa, Asia, Aus. All in all you need cash in the states, aus like you need it here. In Asia and part of south america you can bum round tropical beaches on fuck all.