You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Iomega external hard drive screwed up

redheart

Iomega 1TB hard drive has screwed up. I have not dropped it etc.

However, when I connect it to my laptop or media player it starts to squeak or bleep, then it repeatedly and loudly clicks. When this finishes the laptop or media player does not recognise it

Any ideas?

Guest The Big Green Bastard

guy at work has had 2 iomega drives fail on him within the past month with the same symptons you mention. There was no cure he could find.

What is it with externals dying for no reason? i hate them now.

He was quoted £700 to fix it by iomega to keep his files and fix the drive, naturally he told them where to go.

Mine is in warranty. They will replace it. But how do I get the data off it?

I had the same problem, but was able to fix it. Do you see anything on your PC when you plug it in (auto open window)? Have you gone to disk management and seen if your disk was there?

I've recovered shitloads of external drives simply by taking the HDD out of the caddy/casing and plugging it into the appropriate cables hanging out of the side of my workshop PC.

Be them USB or external supply powered, lot's of them just dont seem to have enough current on the +5V/+12V lines which feed the HDD to keep them happy.

What Uncle Meat said is an option as well to get your data off but you might be able to fix your external drive. I have had WD, Seagate, Hitachi, Maxtor and they have all gone out at one time or another. I have brought back to life most of them.

I had the same problem, but was able to fix it. Do you see anything on your PC when you plug it in (auto open window)? Have you gone to disk management and seen if your disk was there?

Nope there is nothing when I plug it into my pc or media player.

So I have no idea how to fix it or get my data off it

First of all, you mention you hear it sqwak and beep. I have seen that it can be the power supply at times. Have you checked to make sure the output voltage is correct or replaced it with a similar power supply? If its in warranty, according to Iomega's site you can get a replacement. I would test that first and if it doesn't work I can suggest some additional things.

Since you have a second drive you can open up and swap the HD as Uncle_Meat suggested and that would allow you to retrieve your data. If you still cannot access it, you ruled out the power supply and board on the original drive and it would definitely be the disk itself. You then have two options: go to a data recovery center or go through tech support and have them send you another drive.