You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jeff Winter and Graham Poll -autobiographies

Jennings

I read these on holiday last week. They weren't earth shattering by any means - and I can't be arsed to post a full review. One thing that struck me was how much impact comments by managers affected them. For example a compliment from a top manager (especially Ferguson), was lapped up by both officials. This must have had an impact on decisions.

This isn't a dig at any individual manager - merely an assumption that the refs liked the adulation from the high profile club staff and this would influence close decisions.

Yes he was. Bloody Hell Shanks69, you know your onions!!

He spoke very well about the impact of Hillsborough - it clearly affected him. he had very kind words about Liverpool generally and StevieG in particular.

He came across as a bit of an egotist to me tbh, but to his credit he seem to genuinely want to improve football. He preferred to apply common-sense in decision making and not just stick to FA policy - which doesn't necessarily fit the spirit of a particular game or indeed the game generally.

I think Dave said it, and was spot on, but Jeff Winter was a great referee during his last season because he didn't have to worry about the managers getting at him. I liked him since that whole "Kop knew it was my last game, and just maybe.....they were applauding me." and he was obviously taking the piss, but people lined up to have a crack.

Have a look at Winter's website, it's fucking brilliant

"TONY: LEEDS FAN "Oi Winter you cunt, you had an agenda against Leeds you fucking prick"

Winter: "No Tony, I'm a rich successful Cunt who serviced your wife last night, I'm going for a shit and can't handle two shits at once, goodbye"