You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism and fish

Paulie Dangerously

I was always lead to believe in school that fossil fuels (coal, oil etc) was essentially fossilised dead animals and plants.

If this is the case shouldn't vegans who don't use any product that comes from an animal (leather, meat, milk etc) boycott it as well?

Discuss.

No they shouldn't,these animals died and were buried,decomposing into fossil fuel.They were not killed for fuel.

I have no issue with the need for a veg alternative at BBQ or when going out.If anyone thinks veggie food is boring or bland they are eating the wrong foods.Some of the best foods I have had are veggie foods.The issue is people not knowing what to cook and they end up with the safe Goats cheese and onions or stuffed peppers when if you look at Indian and other foods from Asia you will find great veggie foods.

Out of interest I didn't eat meat for just under a year a while ago and enjoyed the change.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest davelfc

Maybe someone should open a butchers selling food of animals that have died by *accident, a pig that was knocked over by a tractor or a cow that fell off a wall. (Bob Monkhouse)

If anyone thinks veggie food is boring or bland they are eating the wrong foods.

This.

I eat meat but not a huge amount, and I usually stick to chicken and fish but I think if I had a reason to knock them on the head and go veggie I could. I don't eat meat 3 or 4 days a week on average and those veggie days are often some of the best tasting food I eat. If nothing else, it has made me a better and more versatile cook.

Vegans piss me off because they are so self-righteous but I have no problems with veggies as long as they don't try and convert others - that is annoying as people who go on about how they are carnivores and try and convert vegetarians.

I'll tell you what, you rarely see an obese vegetarian.

I just have one rule, with regard to food: Never eat something you've just fucked

Guest davelfc

I'll tell you what, you rarely see an obese vegetarian.

I have, chips and chocolate diet. But mainly they're frail and grey, like a ghost.

For some people being a 'vegetarian' is their way of gaining attention and being treated differently. You have a small party and of course (insert name here) is coming, we'll have to make a vegetarian alternative. You want to go out in a group, but hang on, (insert name here) is coming, we will have to find a restaurant that does a vegetarian alternative. Don't even get started on a bbq, just don't invite them. Then someone brings a new partner and oh, they're vegetarian, we didn't know we're very sorry. How about a meat alternative for normal people?

The answer of course is just don't invite the picky bastards, they're probably to weak to come anyway and who wants to sit there all night being told how evil you are eating dead animals. Besides have you caught a whiff of a veggies fart?

Not eating meat doesn't make you weak..quite the opposite actually.Im 6 '4 ,18 stone and believe me ,I'd crush the guts out of you if so inclined. I haven't eaten any form of red meat in over 20 years.I'm not a veggie however .My BBQ's are ace becuase people get real food rather than boring ribs,sausages or burgers...I'll cook all that shit just to make sure the whinging worried bout their sexuality meat eaters don't bitch and moan but most people at my BBQ's enjoy the array of seafood I cook

No they shouldn't,these animals died and were buried,decomposing into fossil fuel.They were not killed for fuel.

I have no issue with the need for a veg alternative at BBQ or when going out.If anyone thinks veggie food is boring or bland they are eating the wrong foods.Some of the best foods I have had are veggie foods.The issue is people not knowing what to cook and they end up with the safe Goats cheese and onions or stuffed peppers when if you look at Indian and other foods from Asia you will find great veggie foods.

Out of interest I didn't eat meat for just under a year a while ago and enjoyed the change.

Bang on..hate going to resturaunts and seeing the usual stodgy pasta or goats cheese shite on the menu...resturaunts (some) have no imagination

Non meat eaters have got it pretty shit in my eyes. Not in that they miss out on meat, are weak, double standards on fish eaters, etc, etc, *insert tired old arguments and all that bollocks.*

Trying to eat out as a non meat eater is fucking shit, as is all the hassle of looking at processed foods to see if they've sneaked some gut lining or crushed up bone or what the fuckever in there.

There quite a few veggies/vegan mates of mine down here and they never seemed left out at a bbbq*. They bring their stuff, often cooked either first or on a seperate grill/bbq. Where's the harm? Good on them, they eat healthier than me, so it can't be all bad.

Fakey meat things, i.e. veggie sausages or mushroom burgers don't really appeal to me. But then again, they are a tiny proportion of what you could/can eat as a non meat eater anyway. I've eaten them, I will again, but to making something non meat like look, well meat like, seems a bit pointless to me. But then again I suppose how else are you supposed to package/prepare it? I can't say even with that I could get anyway really arsed about it, but when there are bigger bbq crimes like smearing good food with so much sauce you can't fucking taste it anyway.

I tried being veggy for a month. it wasn't for me. Too much hassle, I missed meat and I actually put on weight due to over compensating with protein, my fault I'm sure i'd get the hang of it. I'm not sure why some have to be arses about non meating eating to others and visa versa. My old job brought me into contact with meat and poultry rearing and slaughter industries and all that it entails. Beleive me, its not great, but I'm good with it and can live with it; and would if necessary slaughter and butcher my own meat. I'm fucking glad I don't have to or think about it everyday though.

*the extra b is a typo

I'm tired of people hating on my peoples yo, I will create the Vegetation Proclamation and I shall lead my lentil eating brothers to the promised land, can you hear me my brothers? Quorn sausages for all, let's dance!

Non meat eaters have got it pretty shit in my eyes. Not in that they miss out on meat, are weak, double standards on fish eaters, etc, etc, *insert tired old arguments and all that bollocks.*

Trying to eat out as a non meat eater is fucking shit, as is all the hassle of looking at processed foods to see if they've sneaked some gut lining or crushed up bone or what the fuckever in there.

There quite a few veggies/vegan mates of mine down here and they never seemed left out at a bbbq*. They bring their stuff, often cooked either first or on a seperate grill/bbq. Where's the harm? Good on them, they eat healthier than me, so it can't be all bad.

Fakey meat things, i.e. veggie sausages or mushroom burgers don't really appeal to me. But then again, they are a tiny proportion of what you could/can eat as a non meat eater anyway. I've eaten them, I will again, but to making something non meat like look, well meat like, seems a bit pointless to me. But then again I suppose how else are you supposed to package/prepare it? I can't say even with that I could get anyway really arsed about it, but when there are bigger bbq crimes like smearing good food with so much sauce you can't fucking taste it anyway.

I tried being veggy for a month. it wasn't for me. Too much hassle, I missed meat and I actually put on weight due to over compensating with protein, my fault I'm sure i'd get the hang of it. I'm not sure why some have to be arses about non meating eating to others and visa versa. My old job brought me into contact with meat and poultry rearing and slaughter industries and all that it entails. Beleive me, its not great, but I'm good with it and can live with it; and would if necessary slaughter and butcher my own meat. I'm fucking glad I don't have to or think about it everyday though.

*the extra b is a typo

I love seafood ,most types so I always use that as my back up if we go out somewhere but I much rather to go 100%veggie for the night if the menu is good.What you described above has for the most part been the case but that is changing......slowly.im finding more and more resturaunts are taking vegetarian food more seriously and thats a great thing in my mind

I'm tired of people hating on my peoples yo, I will create the Vegetation Proclamation and I shall lead my lentil eating brothers to the promised land, can you hear me my brothers? Quorn sausages for all, let's dance!

Apart from tasting attrocious ,I just don't get the point of them ...But everything else is bang on the money ...lead on

Incidentally,me and the kids had a fantastic homemade vegetarian Alá King for lunch

1 Onion,1 Red pepper, garlic,some quartered mushrooms, and some halved Mange touts in a creamy white wine sauce with rice...divine food

New thread, same arguments on both sides.

My opinion remains the same...I love meat and could never be veggie, I do love veggie food though. Just not when it has fake meat in it.

Great veggie food is that, full of vegetables...not pretend mince, sausages, burgers and fucking 'bacon rashers'.

Guest ShoePiss
Not eating meat doesn't make you weak..quite the opposite actually.Im 6 '4 ,18 stone and believe me ,I'd crush the guts out of you if so inclined. I haven't eaten any form of red meat in over 20 years.I'm not a veggie however .My BBQ's are ace becuase people get real food rather than boring ribs,sausages or burgers...I'll cook all that shit just to make sure the whinging worried bout their sexuality meat eaters don't bitch and moan but most people at my BBQ's enjoy the array of seafood I cook

You're not doing them right.

Whale is the best fish. Mmmmm.

Theres no such thing as "The best fish"...every fish has different qualities..Whale is indeed tasty,as is shark but thenagain so is every other fish from Sole to John Dory to Snapper to mackerel

All fish is good. Except trout and tuna. Weirdly I think they are 'too fishy'. I accept my food awkwardnesses are a bit stupid.

I nearly had whale in Iceland but the other half moaned about that and puffin.

I will pretty much eat anything fishwise though. Sea urchin, jelly fish, roes, crustaceans, had amazing sushi in Japan, just can't take to trout and tuna.

Guest ShoePiss
All fish is good. Except trout and tuna. Weirdly I think they are 'too fishy'. I accept my food awkwardnesses are a bit stupid.

I nearly had whale in Iceland but the other half moaned about that and puffin.

I will pretty much eat anything fishwise though. Sea urchin, jelly fish, roes, crustaceans, had amazing sushi in Japan, just can't take to trout and tuna.

Freshly caught tuna is out of this world, a big tuna streak quickly grilled with a bit of teriyaki sauce is mouth watering.