You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

And So It Goes...

Peter Cormack

Nearly four years ago I posted this on a thread about DIC

"I don't post often but I've just read the whole of this post and it depresses the hell out of me, so here's my slightly jaundiced take on what's going on. I hope to Christ I'm wrong. At the time G & H came in I thought it was Moores being a money grabbing twat fucking us over and I see nothing here to make me change my mind. The fact is that the Dubai consortium get involved in sport to make money, get prestige and to win things, look at their record. G & H are in it to make money, nothing else. The performance of their teams, in North America confirms this, but it doesn't matter that they aren't champions every year because the cash comes in.

I can remember Liverpool before Shankley came it was the same. 40,000 each week to watch them fail to get promotion season after season. The board didn't give a fuck as long as each week the money rolled in. The ground was a disgrace and my old man used to say they didn't want promotion, it would cost money and cut the profits. Along came the great man, and backed by Littlewoods he started a revolution. In my view we are going back to those pre-Shankly days. As long as Liverpool are in the top four every year Anfield, old or new, will be packed every week. The dough will roll in. Why spend the money to take us to the top? What the fuck for? It won't earn us a significant amount extra, gates are guaranteed.

Look at the record of the board, never during the period from Shanks arriving to the present day have the board given a flying fuck about the fans...loyal Liverpool fans are a cash cow to those bastards. I'm sure everyone on this forum has a tale about ticketing problems, lack or response to complaints or shit service. I remember John Peel saying in 1981 that the Liverpool board were the most unpleasant and self serving bunch of characters he'd ever met, I don't see the yanks as any different. Why worry what the fans want when there are plenty more to take their place if they get disillusioned. TV money and a growing world wide audience will add to the coffers whether we win the league or not."

I don't think a fucking thing has changed in the meantime except that Rafa hasn't developed into the world beater I believed he would; in fact he seems a vindictive man with relatively few people skills who seems prepared to cut off his nose to spite his face and has his team playing some of the worst football I've seen since the days of division 2 or GH's last season. Hicks clearly thinks he can make money or else he would have bailed out. I've been a Liverpudlian for 51 years, the club is the only constant in my life over that period. I can honestly say I have never been so despondant about everything connected with the club; in the past there was always some reason for optimism; today I can't see any - fuck the lot of them from Hicks downwards - I can't believe that I read on here some gobshite advocating throwing bags of piss as the everton supporters if you're going to throw anything there are lots of better targets than bitter dickheads who have never done anything concrete to harm the club; look in the directors box today and especially next week against Chelsea I'm sure there's a few there who deserve this treatment (not that I'm suggesting it of course) How can Moores have the face to still show up at games? he can because like almost every other person who has sat in the boardroom he doesn't give two fucks for what fans think and never has. Plus he's so dim he probably doesn't realise people hate him. It's time for the gloves to come off and those who can get to Anfield to make a serious and significant protest that will be heard around the world.

You and I must be of a similar age, you’ve just summed up my recent feelings exactly. I, like most Liverpool fans want the league title so badly it hurts. But it seems nobody at the club (except perhaps the players) gives two fucks, as long as the Champions league money keeps coming in.

If the fans judged Rafa on his football alone, instead of his stance with the owners, he would be long gone. His supporters point to Istanbul as a measure of his talents, but would he have taken a fit Steve Finnan off? I doubt it, given what I’ve seen since. More and more people are coming round to the view that we are where we are despite him, not because of him. But as long as we finish in the top four I should imagine he’ll get another contract, these owners can’t afford the round of changes a new manager would bring.

You and I must be of a similar age, you’ve just summed up my recent feelings exactly. I, like most Liverpool fans want the league title so badly it hurts. But it seems nobody at the club (except perhaps the players) gives two fucks, as long as the Champions league money keeps coming in.

If the fans judged Rafa on his football alone, instead of his stance with the owners, he would be long gone. His supporters point to Istanbul as a measure of his talents, but would he have taken a fit Steve Finnan off? I doubt it, given what I’ve seen since. More and more people are coming round to the view that we are where we are despite him, not because of him. But as long as we finish in the top four I should imagine he’ll get another contract, these owners can’t afford the round of changes a new manager would bring.

Here endeth the lesson.

meaning?
But as long as we finish in the top four I should imagine he’ll get another contract, these owners can’t afford the round of changes a new manager would bring.

Meaning that the above comment pretty much sums up the whole sorry mess.

Ive said it before, as long as the CL money keeps rolling in the current owners couldn't give a fuck if we ever win another trophy again.

But as long as we finish in the top four I should imagine he’ll get another contract, these owners can’t afford the round of changes a new manager would bring.

Ive said it before, as long as the CL money keeps rolling in the current owners couldn't give a fuck if we ever win another trophy again.

And take it one step further, there's, arguably, more chance of slipping out of the top 4 with a new manager than Benitez. Are they going to risk that income on the off chance of a trophy that netts you can additional 1m? Not likely.

So you would rather the owners got rid of Benitez, cos he's only 2nd in the league and then trust their expertise in picking football managers when appointing a replacement?

The only reason they haven't got rid of Benitez is the fans, they're vain and stupid enough risk takers to think that they can easily replace him with a 'masterstroke' appointment of MLS star Darren Huckerby in the hotseat, that will make us all clap beleive that, I don't wish for that, the greener grass, they'll shaft you everytime.

If new owners gave us financial stability, would we, the fans except a couple of years out of the CL, if after that we then competed for top spot on a regular basis? I don't think the present squad would need that imo but if it did would we mind?

We seem to be between a rock and an hard place at present, not quite good enough to compete with the scum and chavs when they are on top form, but too good to strip down and start again. The question is does Rafa know what is needed to complete the jigsaw, because part of it is a change in his approach.

totally agree

He needs to take the shackles off, let the players express themselves. He’s far to cautious, and places too much value in hard work over flair and skill. If he unleashed the players he's got we could probably compete as we are, without much further investment imho

Unleash them megalollage. We don't have a 120m forward line we have Yossi, Kuyt, Riera and similar.

An unleashed Torres got 15 goals a season in Spain. An unleashed SG never got close to the 20 goals and 20 assists he got last season.

What I object to is that far too often when we play shite like Everton, Stoke, and small clubs of that ilk we seem to drop down to their level rather than our better players expressing themselves, stamping their authority on the game and showing them up for the crap they are

on the football front can't see a massive difference between now and 2002 to be honest , as a "business" we are not progressing but are in a far worse position - is that your definition of progress?

We are joint top at this stage of the season having led for a long time, can't remember any point in the last 20 years apart from maybe at a push one season under Roy Evans where we've had anything like that. Alright we are out of the Carl Jung cup and we normally do a bit better at that but on the pitch I can't see how anyone cannot recognise improvement and I don't think there's been enough credit given for that improvement, it's all doom and gloom when in the last few seasons we were 20 points off at this stage and only ever really picked up at this point in the season.

This season we have shook off Arsenal and Chelsea who in relative terms no longer have the footalling/financial muscle, an improvement business wise as it's got to be relative analysis.

The basis of most arguments on here is complaints that we're not 10 points clear at the top, a bit silly really even if we are LFC, or that we've drawn a few games having lost only one and as a business we are better off for the credit crunch as it pushes H and G towards the exit door. We are better off therefore than last season because they can't refinance or sell us off to any other shmucks who can't afford us or anyone who can't invest in us when they buy us. It will mean when someone does buy us it will be someone with clown's pockets, a wizard's sleeve of cash, if you will. Only in the good times can Mortimer and Mortimer play leverage games and profit so maybe we will even see them ruined as well 'Turn those machines back on'.

Regardless the owners are unlikely to have a big effect on how we do this year and we only have Utd to focus on getting the better of we should all be pulling together to do that and not focus on negatives as it will keep creeping into the team.

We are joint top at this stage of the season having led for a long time, can't remember any point in the last 20 years apart from maybe at a push one season under Roy Evans where we've had anything like that. QUOTE]

I think we won the league in 1990, remember us leading it for a long time in 1989!! I knom I'm getting old but I'm sure I remember that and being in contention for a good while in 2002. We are not joint top we are second - were we joint top at the end of May 1989?

Edited by Peter Cormack