You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fan service nonsense. If your movies got more Easter eggs than the Asda in January then you’ve got problems.

Funnily enough I didn't think that part of the film was fan service. The rest of it was. I've seen it once and that was enough.

It's just like the unnecessary

Han Solo movie. It's something we've already seen

Funnily enough I didn't think that part of the film was fan service. The rest of it was. I've seen it once and that was enough.

It's just like the unnecessary

Han Solo movie. It's something we've already seen

Apparently, there’s a Darth Vader comic out there with a similar scene that they lifted for this film. I just couldn’t take the film seriously by this point as I was beyond caring what happened to them all. I was cringing with some of Vader’s lines too and when James earl jones doesn’t sound like Vader then....

As I said previously, I was looking forward to this film but the best bits were in the trailer and where all cut from the final film.

I think you’re going to be right about the Han Solo film, as seeing some of the rumours doing the round s and Ron Howard’s tweets, a lot of his throwaway lines in the OT seem like they’re making up the bulk of this one too.

The PT were the same, painting by numbers now. Just hope this new one isn’t a carbon copy of empire.

God I hated that cunt.

The entire ethos of Star Wars was undone with one throwaway line from the bulbous bonce of George Lucas:

'The boy is dangerous master, surely you can sense that'.

So he was bad all along then, let's just go home and watch Star Trek.

Although I've enjoyed the new films I would much prefer if it had stayed as an original trilogy, there's no nostalgia left at all now.

The reason why I've not watched The Force Awakens and Rogue One. I made the mistake of watching the prequels but never re-watched them. Thankfully, I can barely remember anything about them.

The reason why I've not watched The Force Awakens and Rogue One. I made the mistake of watching the prequels but never re-watched them. Thankfully, I can barely remember anything about them.

They're completely different animals Tony.

I honestly don't see how new films sully enjoyment of the old ones. Better to have some Star Wars than no Star Wars.

I would say the Star Wars universe is that much richer than the Marvel one, the sense of ennui shouldn't kick in quite as soon as it did with the MCU. Marvel is limited by what you can actually do with a superhero, which, as we've seen, isn't much beyond bashing villains/aliens/killer robots/other heroes until someone wins. Star Wars can be anything, you can easily imagine something like Apocalypse Now or Chinatown or LA Confidential in a Star Wars setting.

They still need to be relatable to us though. The themes in Star Wars are as old as the hills: internal conflict, betrayal, redemption, self-sacrifice, triumph against the odds etc

They follow the same structure as most action films to be fair. Hardly going to be complex plots as they are aimed at kids.