You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Inception. A worthy attempt to do something different in a big blockbuster movie. Di Caprio and the gang enter people's dream world and steal ideas and secrets. They are required to do something much more challenging when they are asked to plant an idea (an inception) in someones mind by entering their dream state. This requires them to go three levels into their consciousness (i.e. a dream within a dream within a dream). Stunning visually. An intriguing premise. However, the script is clunky and the story is never really sharp enough or clearly focussed (even allowing for the initially three levels of consciousness which becomes four). A suitably ambiguous end with a film wide open to interpretation.

7/10. It would have been a 5.5 or a but for the worthy ambition

Inception. Took a train to Worthings beautiful Edwardian cinema for the first time to watch it and came out leaving the film in the auditorium. why didn't it stick with me? I thought the last layer was pointless (no spoilers so I'll leave it there) and the great build up including the brilliant fight scene ended with a pfft. I did enjoy it overall as it kept me thinking but as with all Nolans films bar Batman 1 and Momento it's left me a little flat. Shame. 7.5/10

eagle_vs_shark.jpg

Eagle vs Shark 8/10

This film I have the feeling most people are either going to love or hate. It has the exact humour that Napolean Dynamite had. Personally I loved it's charm, Mrs Jnp didn't (although she hated ND the first time she saw it too). A very nice New Zealand Independant feature.

The leads are well acted. The girl I couldn't help but like, the guy is Jermaine of Flight of the Chonchords. Story about two misfits that get together, then go back to the fella's hometown so he can fight the bully that used to beat him up in school.

Like I said you're either going to love or hate it, but I loved every minute.

Watched this last night and myself and my Missus loved it, very funny although it's a humour you need to get just like Napoleon Dynamite. The girl i thought was excellent and she's worth keeping an eye on. Jermaine was great in it as well as were the other characters in the film.

I have to spread before i can rep you for this one.

A very funny quirky independant film. 8.5 shellsuits out of 10.

One of the best films I've seen for quite a while.

A NZ version of a Mike Leigh / Shane Meadows film, I think.

Ordinary people in ordinary situations. What is so important to them (having a fight with an old school bully) is so unimportant to the bigger world. But I love little films about little situations.

Taika Waititi is on the way to becoming genius. And better than his latest film "Boy".

Phone threat: "When he gets back, tell him justice will be waiting for him."

Man on phone: "Ok, will do, Justin. Bye!"

PS I don't agree with the Napolean Dynamite reference. It's much better than that teenage-targetted nonsense.

I only just found out my 29 yr old girlfriend has never seen toy story and does not want to...can't decide how I feel about that.

Bin her off. She has no soul.

Funnily enough i was about to respond the same way.

What's not to like about the Pixar films, is it Pixar or Disney that's not to like?

I'm desperate to see Inception. And I will kill anyone who gives it away or offers spoilers. I've already had to start avoiding Facerape because of certain idiots.

Dying to see it too, it's starting to annoy me. Am not going anywhere near the Inception thread in fear of spoilers. Have just got a feeling it's going to be a properly amazing film.

Magnolia - Mega. 8 falling frogs/10

Almost Famous - Totally mega! 9 Tiny Dancer rock n roll trips/10

Agree on the sentiments above on Eagle Vs Shark, think its a truly ace film. One of my all time feel good favourites.

Had a copy of the Damned United for ages, is it any good ?

Yes, I'd give it 9/10. Went to FACT to see it on the Friday it came out and just watched it again on BBC2. It must have been pretty hard (if not impossible) to capture the spirit of the book, but it's got a good screenplay and some excellent acting from Michael Sheen as Clough, Timothy Spall as Peter Taylor and a good cameo from Colm Meaney as Don Revie.