You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Club In Turmoil?

CWD82

I know part of the problem is the way signings have been dealt with but I really really hope nothing goes wrong this Summer regarding signings. Just get em fucking done then do as much in-fighting as you like.

Yep. The last think we need this summer is the process of sacking Parry and finding a replacement. Surely Rafa must see that?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Foster Gillett not being able to work in the country until August isn't helping either.

How much difference does that make to the current situation though? If Rafa's worried about delays in transfer dealings, and if Foster Gillett will be involved in these, aren't they mostly done over the phone anyway? And when it comes to sit-down negotiations, surely all the parties involved must be capable of getting the necessary clearance just to travel for a meeting. The same goes for contract talks for our current players.

I can't see that any other issues that Rafa would be anxious about need to be dealt with so urgently. It's the signings that are crucial right now.

Isn't 3 years worth of patience as much, if not more, than most people can put up with?

He needs to give the yanks time to assess things and make changes. Rome wasn't built in a day.

As for Bascombe's stories, these have been doing the rounds for quite a while. People other than Bascombe have spoken about Rafa and Parry barely being on speaking terms with each other. Those working within the club all know about it, so I don't see how Bascome's publication of these stories is going to affect morale in the the club.

I didn't say it was wrong, I just said I didn't like it. I meant morale among fans rather than within the club.

Who else has said it? Have you got any links?

I think Rafa needs to cool down bit. Extra money is available and moves are afoot to land the players he wants.

Rafa was bleating when the takeover happened, saying he had yet to sit down with the new owners (even though they hadn't really got their feet under the table and Moores was still technically in charge at the time). Then we have this latest outburst, despite public support from the owners and their obvious generous backing for summer transfer plans.

I guess what I'm saying is this: Rafa is getting close to being unprofessional in my book. The public comments about funds to spend and speed of conducting business are inviting a lot of unhelpful media attention. I'd much rather they got on with it without the bickering.

Yep. The last think we need this summer is the process of sacking Parry and finding a replacement. Surely Rafa must see that?

I don't think he cares, he probably doesn't see how we could be any worse off.

He's sick of asking Parry to do things, and him not doing them. Whether it's faxing bids to clubs (one rumour was that we missed out on Vidic because Parry took over a week to fax a bid after Rafa had agreed a deal), negotiating fees with clubs/agents, sorting out new contracts for existing players (months ago Rafa told Parry he wanted a certain player's contract to be sorted out before all the others, and as yet the player's agent is still waiting to be contacted as Parry has made other players HIS priority despite Rafa's wishes), Rafa has had enough of seeing Parry not getting the job done.

The working relationship has more or less broken down. It's not a sudden thing either, Rafa's been unhappy about the way Parry does things for a long time. Maybe it's not all Parry's fault, and Rafa is to blame for some things, I don't know as I've only really heard the one side of the story.

Thing is, it doesn't really make a difference, as if they can't work together one has to go, and it's not going to be Rafa, is it.

People are forgetting Bascombe has his own agenda too, which is probably the same as ours, give Rafa full control and get shut of Parry.

Bascombe used to stir the shit in the final days of the Houllier reign too, you'd pick up the pink and it would be full of stories along the lines of 'unconfirmed rumours of x y and z have surfaced recently, with some (unnamed) sources at the club saying Houllier does this and that'

Rafa could very well have formed some kind of unspoken agreement with Bascombe on this score and wants Parry fucked off. I feel for the man, he has to go up against the likes of Maureen and Fergusson without the tools to do the job, and when things finally look like they've turned around you remember that the point man for all negotiations is still a dozy arrogant fuck with all the business acumen of a Jewish pork store owner.

I don't think he cares, he probably doesn't see how we could be any worse off.

He's sick of asking Parry to do things, and him not doing them. Whether it's faxing bids to clubs (one rumour was that we missed out on Vidic because Parry took over a week to fax a bid after Rafa had agreed a deal), negotiating fees with clubs/agents, sorting out new contracts for existing players (months ago Rafa told Parry he wanted a certain player's contract to be sorted out before all the others, and as yet the player's agent is still waiting to be contacted as Parry has made other players HIS priority despite Rafa's wishes), Rafa has had enough of seeing Parry not getting the job done.

The working relationship has more or less broken down. It's not a sudden thing either, Rafa's been unhappy about the way Parry does things for a long time. Maybe it's not all Parry's fault, and Rafa is to blame for some things, I don't know as I've only really heard the one side of the story.

Thing is, it doesn't really make a difference, as if they can't work together one has to go, and it's not going to be Rafa, is it.

Well said that man and in my opinion Parry is also a very average CEO and Rafa is one of the best Managers, not a difficult decision to make in my book.

"If the summer of 2004 was considered one of the clubs most important in recent history, it may look like a picnic in comparision to what may follow"

What exactly is Bascombe implying here?

In the summer of 2004 one manager left and another came in, now if that is a picnic compared to what might follow, then he is suggesting something as big as, or even bigger than, changing managers.

I think Bascombe should put up or shut up, rather than throwing in random comments that can only be interpreted one way yet doesn't say quite enough for him to end up looking stupid if it doesn't happen.

Is it true that Bascombe doesn't have the same kind of contacts within the club since Rafa came in?

If so then it's probably easy to make assumptions and speculate about his style of journalism too.

There is also every chance that moores has made a deal with the new owners meaning his mate rick gets to keep his job and probably gets paid more money. Parry is probably more concerned with the business side of things than football, hence the poor record in the transfer market. Either that or he posesses a unique genius for incompetence.

There are countless examples of Parry being a poor CEO and it is understandable that Rafa is pissed off. I think these outbursts can have only two motives get Parry out of the club or at the very least ensure that the fear of the sack makes him do as he is told swiftly and effectively to get the signing done ASAP.

Unfortunately Rafa can't show patience as has been suggested as if he does and we wait till August to sign players then we will be left with our second and third choices again.

I just don't think we need any of this after the amazing optimism shown in defeat the other night.

Actually things have been a bit shitty for a few weeks now with the ticket fiasco starting it off and the subsequent public outrage/protests.

Too much dirty linen is being aired at the moment and the hacks don't need any excuse to jump on the anti-LFC bandwagon.

We're giving them the ammo and the targets.

I just don't think we need any of this after the amazing optimism shown in defeat the other night.

Actually things have been a bit shitty for a few weeks now with the ticket fiasco starting it off and the subsequent public outrage/protests.

Too much dirty linen is being aired at the moment and the hacks don't need any excuse to jump on the anti-LFC bandwagon.

We're giving them the ammo and the targets.

It's hard not to give them ammo with an incompetent fool such as Parry running things.

"If the summer of 2004 was considered one of the clubs most important in recent history, it may look like a picnic in comparision to what may follow"

What exactly is Bascombe implying here?

In the summer of 2004 one manager left and another came in, now if that is a picnic compared to what might follow, then he is suggesting something as big as, or even bigger than, changing managers.

I think Bascombe should put up or shut up, rather than throwing in random comments that can only be interpreted one way yet doesn't say quite enough for him to end up looking stupid if it doesn't happen.

Is it true that Bascombe doesn't have the same kind of contacts within the club since Rafa came in?

If so then it's probably easy to make assumptions and speculate about his style of journalism too.

I think it's more in relation to when Gerrard said in 2004 that he wanted to stay but massive changes were needed for us to challenge as opposed to any hint at new management or Rafa walking out.

I think it's more in relation to when Gerrard said in 2004 that he wanted to stay but massive changes were needed for us to challenge as opposed to any hint at new management or Rafa walking out.

Why didn't he just say that then?!

My gripe is that he should just say what he means rather than promoting a negative mood through suggestion and scaremongering.

Maybe he is angling for a move to one of the tabloids?!

Well its rumoured that both Alves and Milito can be tied up and we all know Rafa is a big fan of these 2 players.

Im presuming that Rafa is either saying to the new owners 'look give me some cash now before another club signs these players' or he is telling Parry to get his arse in gear and sort out the negiotations.

I cannot think of any other business, or sphere of business, in which a CEO with Parry's record, would be tolerated. They may choose to "spend more tme with their families' with a big juicy payoff, but they would be gone. End of.

In the three years since he arrived, and his years at Valencia before that, Rafa has shown that he can work miracles with less than the best players. However, that can be seen in some eyes as justification for not needing the absolute best. But considering Rafa's own personal achievements and successes, Two La Liga titles, Champion's League winner and finalist, UEFA cup winner, FA Cup winner, there is more than enough justification to give the man what he says he wants.

He has delivered time and time again. He has more than earned the right and respect he deserves to lay down the terms under which he wants to run things. But still he has to deal with and endure the incompetence of deal makers that he thought he had got away from at Valencia. Parry, when asked for the coffee table, not only brings back the table lamp, but waits for the shops to close before going to get it.

I'm convinced that George and Tom have more respect and faith in Rafa because of his outstanding achivements, than they do in Parry, who is in a position that isliekly to be earmarked for Foster Gillett. Maybe CEO would not be the role they see him taking, but with the task of negotiating contracts and buying players. There will be no middle man. No outsider with any possibility of their own agenda. Gillett and Hicks, Senior and Junior doing the commercial business with Rafa as their football man.

They didn't buy Liverpool and come here to have their business done for them by someone who could undo all the good work they're aiming for. Maybe even before it's begun. They have to be masters of their own destinies. As sharp and savvy businessmen and sports club owners of some experience, they know what it takes to run a club. They have one of the best managers in the World and in order to make what is best for Liverpool and for themselves, they have to listen to him and take the initiative to make this club the absolute best everywhere we play.

There can be no more compromises.

I cannot think of any other business' date=' or sphere of business, in which a CEO with Parry's record, would be tolerated.[/quote']

What exactly is Parry's record then?

Highly regarded through his time with the FA and has been in charge of a club who, as we're more than keen to point out, has been very successful since the start of the century (in comparison with a sparse 90's) all the while running on a financially strong footing and providing each manager with a substantial sums of cash to spend without racking up considerable debts as has happened at other clubs.

All the rest is rumour and political manouvering from various parties, and while I'm sure he's far from perfect and has made mistakes, people seem all to keen to re-write history and pin alot of things on him without them actually being his fault.

Cardie, stop being contrary for contraries sake. It's getting boring now.

Apologies.

He's a cunt, he can't even book a hotel room, and that fucking Alves deal was a disgrace how dare he back Rafa (and agree with the vast majority of supporters at the time) in not paying over the odds glad he was hung out to dry on that one the twat. Don't even get me started on Simao, prick couldn't even find a replacement player for Benfica to replace their captain with.

Apologies.

He's a cunt, he can't even book a hotel room, and that fucking Alves deal was a disgrace how dare he back Rafa (and agree with the vast majority of supporters at the time) in not paying over the odds glad he was hung out to dry on that one the twat. Don't even get me started on Simao, prick couldn't even find a replacement player for Benfica to replace their captain with.

You scout the internet looking for arguments, it's pretty sad.

You scout the internet looking for arguments, it's pretty sad.

No someone made a point I countered that, it's how these things work.

Maybe it'd be simpler if everyone agreed on everything but it's never going to happen. Some seem intent on blaming people for everything that's ever happened some prefer not too and some would prefer to not get involved altogether and busy themselves with worrying about whether Salad cream or Mayonaise is best but each to their own, freedom is a wonderful thing.

Now back to the subject at hand....

What exactly is Parry's record then?

The Thai affair - actively considering selling the club to someone who would have stained the reputation of our club, and who kept changing the story about where his money was coming from. I don't care that Parry said no in the end, he shouldn't have touched him with a barge pole to begin with.

Almost letting our best player leave when he was ready to sign a new contract and all the big clubs were after him. Not urgent, we'll sort it out later.

Having a whole summer to land transfer targets when we were champions of Europe, and not getting them despite the money being there. Benfica were twats with Simao, but that's because it was the last day of the window and they knew we were getting desperate. If it had been done earlier we could have said fuck off, we'll go after someone else, and they might have backed down.