You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All Time Everton Eleven

Josef Svejk

an obective person know he pisses all over them

Carra has been playing CB for 4 seasons etc etc

Dave Watson's only crime was to be playing in the same era as Hansen & Lawrenson.

Just remember he was a Liverpool player

Are you seriously advocating Dave Watson as some sort of majestic centre half who we should never of let go?

Waggy was crap, end of story. He never played for the 1st team so wasnt a Liverpool player, and even if he as since when has that meant you cant say someone is rubbish or not, Cheyrou anyone?

Southall was a great keeper but not for one moment have I ever considered him to be in Clemence's class. Of the keepers I've seen in the League only Jennings matched Clemence. Closely followed by Shilton and Schmeichel. Southall would be in the next group.

Ball and Labone were top class.

I disagree with Red Nick on Dave Watson. He was a decent player and he improved quite a bit after we let him go. In some ways he was similar to Carragher, only not quite as good for me. Then you'd have to ask would he get in the side ahead of Agger. This boils down to what you want in a central defensive pairing. Agger is a cultured footballer, and he complements Carra very well. Dave Watson would be too similar to Carra IMO.

I am trying to be objective here Red Nick!

I'm with Hermes. Clem was the best goalkeeper I ever saw, granted I was only a kid when he left but he was awesome, truly brilliant.

I felt Shilton tried to be too flashy when making a save. In my opinion he tried to make it look better than it actually was whereas Clem would just do his business efficiently and with the minimum of fuss.

Southall was brilliant. Best keeper i've ever seen but i'm mostly post clemence. I must have only seen the end of Shilton as he seemed shit to me.

Southall sitting against his goal post through half time because the team was so poor was lengend too.

The only everton player i have real respect for.

I see on the Everton Wikipedia entry that the following team was selected in 2003-04 as the all time Everton select. Now, considering we're supposed to believe that Everton are, historically (and even contemporaneously!), up there with the finest teams in England (if not the world!), how many of these players would make it into an all time Liverpool eleven? Personally, I can only see Southall making the grade, and it's doubtful if the other ten could make our current team (Dixie Dean mythology notwithstanding)...

Neville Southall (1981–97)

Gary Stevens (1982–89)

Brian Labone (1958–71)

Kevin Ratcliffe (1980–91)

Ray Wilson (1964–69)

Trevor Steven (1983–90)

Alan Ball (1966–71)

Peter Reid (1982–89)

Kevin Sheedy (1982–92)

Dixie Dean (1925–37)

Graeme Sharp (1980–91)

Southall was a good keeper and was as good as Clemo.

Labone was a Good Centre Half and if you are just looking at the 60's, then I would argue that he was much better than Yeats.

Ray Wilson and Alan Ball were both world cup winners. I could not stand Ball but he was a good player. Ray Wilson was a class full back and probably better than anybody that we had at the time.

William Ralph Dean is a legend to Everton just as Billy Liddell is a legend to Liverpool. Both before my time but their records speak for themselves.

As for the other sh?t houses,they were decent players in perhaps the second best team of the mid eighties. 20 years on however?

From someone who saw the 3-0 win at Goodison against the best Everton side of all time, Shanks' 10th Anniversary I would put Sandy Brown into Everton's all time best side.

Labone was a better footballer than Yeats but not as effective and nowhere near as good a Tommy Smith; Clem in his prime was miles better than Shilton and the bin man. My Dad, a died in the wool red to his dying day always said Dixie Dean was the best he'd ever seen; that's good enough for me. As for the rest of the shite...the guy who put this list together has an eighties fixation. Colion Harvey was different class to Reid and Tony Kay, who got done for match fixing was better than both of them. I reckon the best Liverpool reserve team of all time who give that lot a shoeing!

From someone who saw the 3-0 win at Goodison against the best Everton side of all time, Shanks' 10th Anniversary I would put Sandy Brown into Everton's all time best side.

!

It was such a good header you know, he did not have too much space to aim at !:thumbup:

Southall sitting against his goal post through half time because the team was so poor was lengend too.

The only everton player i have real respect for.

He was deluded like everybody connected with Everton. Remember his "Everton were the team of the 80's" quote?

He was the best I've ever seen by a an absolute mile.

i rate him as the best ever, from any side, anywhere. im my lifetime at least.

I obvioulsy can't comment on the likes of Clem, but i remember Southall's latter years and I didn't like his hair much, so he must have been rubbish.

No idea how old you are but I'm presuming you aren't old enough to have seen Dean or Lawton play, in which case how can you possibly compare them to anybody?

Are people only allowed to have a view on people they have seen? Can't kids of today take our word for it that, for example, Roger Hunt was better than Peter Crouch?