You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How many south americans have succeeded in the PL

Chippo

Not many in my opinion. Both Veron or Crespo have been shit, same goes for Kleberson.

Juninho and Gilberto Silva have done ok but nothing more.

These are all great players in the best national teams in the world..

I have mixed feelings about Aimar and Alves. Hopefully if they come they`ll come good.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Momo Sissoko

I think it's the weather. I'd always go for players from our own league or scandi's first.

Seriously, once Alves plays a midweek game at Pompey in the middle of December, we'll find out if he's got what it takes. 8 or 9 million is a massive risk, imo.

Not many in my opinion. Both Veron or Crespo have been shit, same goes for Kleberson.

Juninho and Gilberto Silva have done ok but nothing more.

These are all great players in the best national teams in the world..

I have mixed feelings about Aimar and Alves. Hopefully if they come they`ll come good.

Agreed, only Juninho was a big hit, Silvinho did okay for the Arse before Ashley Cole came through, nowt special though

I think it's the weather. I'd always go for players from our own league or scandi's first.

Seriously, once Alves plays in a freezing cold midweek game in the midle of December, we'll find out if he's got what it takes. 12 million is a massive risk, imo.

I want overpriced South American talent and I want it now now now!!!!!!!

Seriously, once Alves plays a midweek game at Pompey in the middle of December, we'll find out if he's got what it takes. 8 or 9 million is a massive risk, imo.

I don't think its just the weather, its the physical nature as well, in fact the same can be said of the Italian league although there have been some succesful exports, if you look at the most high profile efforts like Ronaldo and Rivaldo, their careers went down sharpish when they made that initial move from La Liga. Spain has got everything a latin american needs - just like a plant in a greenhouse.

I don't think its just the weather, its the physical nature as well, in fact the same can be said of the Italian league although there have been some succesful exports, if you look at the most high profile efforts like Ronaldo and Rivaldo, their careers went down sharpish when they made that initial move from La Liga. Spain has got everything a latin american needs - just like a plant in a greenhouse.

Ronaldo was a massive hit in Italy - check your facs. Just had major operations which put hm out for many months.

Ronaldo was a massive hit in Italy - check your facs. Just had major operations which put hm out for many months.

Unlike you Rash i don't have injury stats linked to my brain via infra-red, all i remember is he was the brightest prospect on the planet, went to italy amidst much hoo-har, and returned a shadow of his former self & a fat cunt.

Guest TK-421

The club needs to have the right infrastructure in place to deal with signing players from South America. Hernan Crespo has gone on record to say that he felt it very hard to settle in his first season at Chelsea because, apart from football matters, it was a whole new world for him.

I would imagine it is harder for a player from South America to adapt to life in England than would be the case in Italy and Spain, where language and cultural barriers are not such a significant factor. This would especially be the case for young players.

But if the club makes the effort to support the player with matters off the field, and has put proper measures in place to make sure the player can settle into his new surroundings, there is no reason to believe that they can't adapt and do well.

I think you are mistaken mr section with your reference it south americans in italy. ill list a few wxamples to disprove your statment.

1.batistuta (probbly one of the best forwards in italy in moden times.)

2. crespo ( great over there)

3. simone

4. maradona

4 samual (boss in italy shit in spain)

too many others to mention. like fronseca/zamararno/edmundo/adriano/ect ect ect

I think you are mistaken mr section with your reference it south americans in italy. ill list a few wxamples to disprove your statment.

1.batistuta (probbly one of the best forwards in italy in moden times.)

2. crespo ( great over there)

3. simone

4. maradona

4 samual (boss in italy shit in spain)

too many others to mention. like fronseca/zamararno/edmundo/adriano/ect ect ect

Veron is brilliant there, also Javier Zanetti...