You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Nottingham Forest 0 Liverpool 1 - Match Reaction

Once again the Reds left it late but once again it was an incredible moment and a massive win. Klopp's mentality monsters were on the brink of dropping two points and perhaps ending the weekend in third spot, but up popped returning substitute Darwin Nunez to win it and spark manic celebrations in the away end.

TLW Editor Dave Usher is joined by John Gallagher and a just back from the City Ground Julian Richards to look back on another dramatic win for the Reds and to reflect on what it might mean for the rest of the season.

View full article

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

Great listen as always.

Just two things struck me.

With regards to the Notts Forest fans moaning, emboldened and feeling fully validated by the oversimplified analysis on Match of the Day.  By saying that if the drop ball had have gone to Forest, the game would have had a totally different outcome, they're in the realm of chaos theory.

Ergo, because the exact same thing happened to us earlier in the half, we can argue that we in fact won that game 0-3.

If a butterfly flaps its wings...

The second point was the fact that Jules stated that he thought Bradley played well.  I'm not knocking the young lad, and love him as much as anybody, but I was really surprised.  He needed to go on the outside, but he did it so infrequently, it was striking.  Maybe after that electric start, Klopp wants him to play in a more measured way, but he looked for the inside simple ball consistently.  Hopefully he can mix it up more for the City game.

Finally, I didn't miss Dave pointing out to John that he always knows a great striker when he sees one.  Subtle, Dave, subtle!

• Upvote 2

From the annals of unbeliveable-but-true: the City Ground has the biggest pitch in the division. I remember that vividly from an article in 90 Minutes from 30 years ago, but I can't remember where I left my phone.

I was surprised Dave no-one mentioned Darwin's movement for the goal. Watching it from behind, the way he moves his own width across while everyone else stays static...Neco Williams wasn't so much out-jumped as out-thought. He was marking a man who literally wasn't there. Wonderful.

We had the ball wide right in the first half when it was stopped, btw. Both situations were identical. I think Tierney had let both situations run to make sure the player was actually hurt and then called it as though he'd immediately blown up (which was when the ball was in the area so the rule would apply), he's tried to ref it as he's seen fit and is getting dragged for a technicality.

Usually the defending team will return the ball, but forest didn't so why should we?

• Upvote 2

Sparta Prague play at home to Slavia Prague today at 5pm. Sparta are top, 4 points ahead of Slavia in 2nd. Hopefully this will take a bit from them mentally and physically. 

I think we will go a bit stronger than what the consensus was on the pod but the minutes will be managed.

Kelleher 

Gomez Quansah VvD Tsimikas 

Szoboszlai Endo McConnell 

Elliott Nunez Gakpo

Half time substitution of Konate for Virgi and maybe after 60 minutes MacAllister for Endo, Danns for Nunez, Diaz for Szoboszlai and then later on, Salah for whoever. 

It gets minutes into the players returning, keeps some of the others ticking over and gives a rest to a few.

City 

Kelleher

Bradley Konate VvD Robertson 

Szoboszlai Endo Mac Allister 

Gakpo Nunez Diaz 

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

We had the ball wide right in the first half when it was stopped, btw. Both situations were identical. I think Tierney had let both situations run to make sure the player was actually hurt and then called it as though he'd immediately blown up (which was when the ball was in the area so the rule would apply), he's tried to ref it as he's seen fit and is getting dragged for a technicality.

Usually the defending team will return the ball, but forest didn't so why should we?

That should pretty much end the discussion. It won't, but it should!

10 hours ago, Gruntfuttock said:

The whispered Fuck'in 'ell  then Hello  etc 33 seconds in made me laugh!

I'd just made a mess of the intro and was doing a retake. Didn't know I'd left that in until Paul mentioned it this morning!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pidge said:

Which is the incident you're referring to? If it's the one I'm thinking of wasn't it the second half when Elliot's ball went straight into the face of the player? In that incident the ball went out to the left and we hadn't taken possession.  Unless there was another one?

17 minutes ago, Moo said:

Which is the incident you're referring to? If it's the one I'm thinking of wasn't it the second half when Elliot's ball went straight into the face of the player? In that incident the ball went out to the left and we hadn't taken possession.  Unless there was another one?

You're right, it was out left. Think I was picturing where Elliott was as I typed and post-run brain took over. Pretty sure it was in the first half though. We scored up that end.

39 minutes ago, Pidge said:

You're right, it was out left. Think I was picturing where Elliott was as I typed and post-run brain took over. Pretty sure it was in the first half though. We scored up that end.

In the first situation I'm almost certain the whistle gets blown before the ball leaves the penalty area and we hadn't quite picked up possession, though we were about to. It is a bit of a technicality Tierney's getting dragged for but that's of his own making.  He should have blown up sooner in the second incident before Forest had picked up the loose ball, then there wouldn't have been this fuss. The dope.

• Upvote 1

I think he was trying to determine if it was a head injury or just a collision, so he's looking at Konate and paying no attention to where the ball is. When he realised it was a head injury he probably didn't give a shit what had happened after it, as the delay was due to him assessing it. 

If he hadn't made the virtual same call int eh first half there'd be grounds for complaint, but he did so there isn't. Forest are even bigger whiners than Everton and the appointment of Clattenberg should ensure they don't get another 50/50 decision ever again. The refs should be looking to fuck them over all the time after this.

Absolutely ridiculous behaviour, I'm embarrassed for them.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, dave u said:

I think he was trying to determine if it was a head injury or just a collision, so he's looking at Konate and paying no attention to where the ball is. When he realised it was a head injury he probably didn't give a shit what had happened after it, as the delay was due to him assessing it. 

If he hadn't made the virtual same call int eh first half there'd be grounds for complaint, but he did so there isn't. Forest are even bigger whiners than Everton and the appointment of Clattenberg should ensure they don't get another 50/50 decision ever again. The refs should be looking to fuck them over all the time after this.

I pretty much agree with all of that except in the two scenarios a different rule does apply as the ball had left the penalty area before he blew the whistle, in the second incident.  Common sense says that's silly, a minor difference and a bit obscure and I don't think a single player on the pitch would have known that. Forest were pissed off at the time because we didn't give them the ball, as they didn't give us it, not because Tierney didn't apply the rule correctly, that's come after the fact. It should have been a contested drop ball outside the area and there's no reason to think we couldn't have won it and gone on the attack anyway, but they're not acknowledging that either.

• Upvote 1

Would have to watch it back, but I could have sworn it had gone out before he blew in the first as well, Elliott was waving for us to put it out.before he stopped it I thought.

4 hours ago, dave u said:

There is actually a clip of the 2nd incident where the Forest players are complaining and you can clearly see Tierney say ...first half". I presume he is telling them that he did the same for them in the first half. 

52 minutes ago, Razoray said:

There is actually a clip of the 2nd incident where the Forest players are complaining and you can clearly see Tierney say ...first half". I presume he is telling them that he did the same for them in the first half. 

Everyone is saying it was the first half, Klopp did too. But I've seen the clip and as Moo said above it's 2nd half as it's the end we scored at.

10 hours ago, dave u said:

Everyone is saying it was the first half, Klopp did too. But I've seen the clip and as Moo said above it's 2nd half as it's the end we scored at.

Fucking hell, my memory is fucked. Haha!

No wait, I remembered that, I don't know... Just got mixed up on something. Should have just watched it back but I don't envy anyone whos had to sit through that dirge of a match more than once.

Excellent stuff, thanks gents

Going to have to concentrate more at the start instead of getting my cups of tea sorted etc., as last week I got Dan and Jules mixed up, and have only just realised that there are two different John's, both with Irish surnames, but only one with an Irish accent.

• Haha 1

On a very pedantic note, the city ground has the biggest pitch in the Premier league, at 7455 m2. It's bigger than Wembley.

Anfield is tiny in comparison, at 6868 m2. We're only 16 th in the league.

The camera angle at the city ground makes it look small but its massive.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league-stadims-pitch-sizes-ranked-biggest-smallest/#anfield---area-6-868m

• Upvote 2

• dave u unpinned this topic