You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our next manager, your choice, the poll.

Code

Who do you want as our next manager? The poll.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as our new manager

• Xabi Alonso
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Pep Guardiola
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Luis Enrique
    • Michel Sánchez
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 31/05/24 at 13:10

5 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He’s my choice too, but by any reasonable standard, the Xabi thing is completely fraught and a massive gamble. 

He’s never had to deal with adversity or a loss of form yet, which in many ways is the acid test. Also, he’s yet to actually win anything.

Leverkusen were second bottom when he took over...and they had to sign Granit Xhaxa, if that's not adversity....

8 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Villas-Boas got off to a flyer in his managerial career too. 

There are no guarantees, unfortunately.

Do we not appoint anyone then?

You aren't going to find Klopp just like you aren't going to find Salah so whatever manager we sign, or whatever player we get to replace Salah will have parts of their game that don't match up, need to improve/develop or just flat out don't exist.

Villas Boas spent a year at Porto at a time when Porto had won 8 of the last 10 Primeira Liga's and then went to a club that was notoriously unforgiving to managers. Alonso went to a team that were in the bottom two and turned them into title challengers in 15 months and have averaged 5th over the past ten years.

Might not work, might be inspired but I'm struggling to think of a manager that you couldn't pick holes in for one reason or the other.

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He’s my choice too, but by any reasonable standard, the Xabi thing is completely fraught and a massive gamble. 

He’s never had to deal with adversity or a loss of form yet, which in many ways is the acid test. Also, he’s yet to actually win anything. 

Yeah, but just look at this picture of him in a natty cardie and titfer combo.

10f9c3ff67be0da2206705aa883eb884.png

Pure sex.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Do we not appoint anyone then?

You aren't going to find Klopp just like you aren't going to find Salah so whatever manager we sign, or whatever player we get to replace Salah will have parts of their game that don't match up, need to improve/develop or just flat out don't exist.

Villas Boas spent a year at Porto at a time when Porto had won 8 of the last 10 Primeira Liga's and then went to a club that was notoriously unforgiving to managers. Alonso went to a team that were in the bottom two and turned them into title challengers in 15 months and have averaged 5th over the past ten years.

Might not work, might be inspired but I'm struggling to think of a manager that you couldn't pick holes in for one reason or the other.

Which is more or less what I said: no guarantees with anyone.

Apologies for going a bit FSG-go-fuck-yourself but... wouldn't FSG's primary concern be a proven track record in developing and improving players that didn't necessarily command biggest transfer fees?

6 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

There are some managers in between Alonso and Klopp regarding experience and winning stuff.

Emery, as El Rojo mentioned, being one of them. 

'Failed' at a big club like Arsenal, purple patch at Villa, done well with equivalent clubs in other leagues, Sevilla being the standout.

Does he not like the pressure that comes with a massive club and is the Europa league his level?

4 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

There are some managers in between Alonso and Klopp regarding experience and winning stuff.

Emery, as El Rojo mentioned, being one of them. 

I’m not as tuned in as before on these things, and also there’s the financial power of the English game and the best managers ending up here as a result, but outside of maybe Alonso, who we have history with, it’s hard to get too enthusiastic about anyone on the continent right now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Apologies for going a bit FSG-go-fuck-yourself but... wouldn't FSG's primary concern be a proven track record in developing and improving players that didn't necessarily command biggest transfer fees?

Should be a prerequisite of any manager.

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Which is more or less what I said: no guarantees with anyone.

But like I said in a post earlier, the benefit with an Alonso over any other up and coming manager is the relationship he already has with the club which buys him that bit more goodwill and that bit more time to implement his ideas.

You bring in someone from the outside you don't necessarily get that and the pressure will build that bit quicker if they don't hit the ground running.

All things being equal on the, most important, talent/potential side then that should give someone like Alonso the edge and if you were FSG would be the safest bet.

Replacing klopp is just about the most difficult thing you can do..then we have to step that up by making sure whoever comes in can bring a back room team. Then if that's not enough, I think you probably want a manager with an absolute wealth of experience, because even if we manage to appoint an experienced sporting director, he will be new and we need not the type of power struggle we saw with Rodgers and the "committee". The manager needs to be comfortable enough with his own abilities that he doesn't see the sporting director as a threat and instead welcomes his contribution. 

You do have to wonder if the club have known a lot longer than November as claimed today and the Schmadtke appointment was one for klopp that he knew he could work effectively with in the short term for one last drive to get the club in good shape and he could move on. It's time to get this new sporting director in place now and then get the fucking job done of getting a world class klopp replacement. 

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What a shout Deschamps is, by the way.

No thanks

Achieved little at club level barring ine year in the champions league. And led the most talented team about to trophies as France manager. 

56 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I'd take Pep if this was an alternative reality we're living in but Alonso is the only realistic choice.

I don't want that cheating weird fuck anywhere near the club, in this or any other reality.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

But like I said in a post earlier, the benefit with an Alonso over any other up and coming manager is the relationship he already has with the club which buys him that bit more goodwill and that bit more time to implement his ideas.

You bring in someone from the outside you don't necessarily get that and the pressure will build that bit quicker if they don't hit the ground running.

All things being equal on the, most important, talent/potential side then that should give someone like Alonso the edge and if you were FSG would be the safest bet.

I’d be giving him the job if it was up to me! 

Still a big gamble, though.

Klopp had overachieved with Dortmund, similar to Rafa at Valencia.

For all his history as a player and explosive start with Leverkusen, he’s still unproven for a huge job. 

I also reckon Real are arrogant enough to see us as another step in his apprenticeship. 

23 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’m not as tuned in as before on these things, and also there’s the financial power of the English game and the best managers ending up here as a result, but outside of maybe Alonso, who we have history with, it’s hard to get too enthusiastic about anyone on the continent right now.

With Klopp we have winning stuff, good football, and a hugely charismatic personality. There isn't anyone else at the top level who does/has all three. Basically all choices look uninspiring compared to Klopp. 

Inzaghi and Simeone, for example, are excellent managers. With the former we'd get good football and winning stuff, but he'd be a bit dull. With Simeone you'd get winning stuff and "but he'd be our cunt", but the football would be shit on a stick. There aren't many managers who have a huge CV of winning stuff at the top level at the moment because Ancelotti, Zidane, Guardiola and Klopp have hoovered most stuff up over the last decade. So, you can go with the next level down and hope they make the step up - like an Emery. Or take a punt on someone slightly less experienced but in the hope their ceiling is higher.

I'm fairly serene about the shit news today. I despise modern football and it has killed almost all emotion for the game that I had. From the one upmanship "banter" of twitter fandom to the agents to VAR, it's all dog shit. Klopp is a great man and a great manager, and he has single handedly kept the interest I do have and kept a flicker of emotion towards the game but I basically just wish him the best and am happy he chose to spend the best part of a decade with us. I hope he spends the next 12 months having long walks in the Black Forest and sunbathing in the med with his family. He deserves a year off from modern football.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

No thanks

Achieved little at club level barring ine year in the champions league. And led the most talented team about to trophies as France manager. 

He won a title at Marseille and got to the Champions League final with Monaco, on top of the France stuff. He is a winner.

But I was joking, he's not an option. He's one of the dullest people in any sport and his football reeks.