You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Electric Vehicles.

Harry's Lad

1 hour ago, A Red said:

Reading that Rico had gone through a family split up I did wonder whether there was some sort of ultimatum gone on "I'm sorry Rico its me and your daughter or that damn car"

Well, you would pause for thought wouldn't you?

Volcano Grey Taycan GTS Stealth Wrap Pics | TaycanForum -- Porsche Taycan  Owners, News, Discussions, Forums

I'm not into cars but that's nice. I've only just started driving an automatic and Jesus I'll never go back to manual. I keep hearing that's not driving, I dont give a fuck I want to get from A to B as casual as fuck.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm not into cars but that's nice. I've only just started driving an automatic and Jesus I'll never go back to manual. I keep hearing that's not driving, I dont give a fuck I want to get from A to B as casual as fuck.

One of the best cars I ever had was an old J reg 205 automatic. I paid £250 for it and it was fucking brilliant! Like a go cart.

22 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I’ll go auto next time.

Ive currently got my old company car, the firm bought their fleet and it was mandatory to have a manual, assuming for resale value.

Anyway, I had a couple of autos when I was on probation with them, as they leased them and I didn’t get choice in that either.

The quality of autos has really picked up from when I learned to drive about 25 years ago. The mercs I had were sluggish and fuck in eco and too aggressive for everyday driving in sport, and the flappy paddle was pointless except for when you want to feel like Ayrton Senna. But in normal driving you didn’t notice a gear change at all, so slick and consistent 

Every time I’m stuck in traffic my arthritic knee tells me you’re getting an auto next time! 

2 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

I’ll go auto next time.

Ive currently got my old company car, the firm would bought their fleet and it was mandatory to have a manual, assuming for resale value.

Anyway, I had a couple of autos when I was on probation with them, as they leased them and I didn’t get choice in that either.

The quality of autos has really picked up from when I learned to drive about 25 years ago. The mercs I had were sluggish and fuck in eco and too aggressive for everyday driving in sport, and the flappy paddle was pointless except for when you want to feel like Ayrton Senna. But in normal driving you didn’t notice a gear change at all, so slick and consistent 

Every time I’m stuck in traffic my arthritic knee tells me you’re getting an auto next time! 

I think my only issue is it can rev too high before changing sometimes. The paddles are on the steering wheel to do it myself but what's the point in an automatic if they want me to do extra shit.

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think my only issue is it can rev too high before changing sometimes. The paddles are on the steering wheel to do it myself but what's the point in an automatic if they want me to do extra shit.

Another job I had, had Toyota Auris hybrid autos as pool cars. That was the best auto I’ve driven in terms of the gear box, smooth as fuck.

I can see the point of flappy paddles on a race track, but not roads in UK where it’s heavy traffic and you rarely get the opportunity to drive that way. The odd time of whacking it in sport and dropping a couple of gears for an overtake were pleasurable at first, but ultimately a waste of kit 

I've always had a manual as I don't like the idea of auto's changing gear when it wants to rather than me. I like to get to 6th as soon as possible as its more economical. I'm guessing electrics are all auto now? That said I'd put up with auto on that Porsche. 

59 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I never bothered learning to drive, but I'm having to now, largely to help family members out - ailing health, shopping, picking kids up etc - and I figured I'd go auto as that's the future with electric cars. Wish I'd done it years ago, it's just a glorified dodgem. Got a friend down the road who's the same age and learning on a manual, and I reckon she's spending twice as much on lessons, stalling in traffic and the like's wrecking her confidence.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We've got 2 cars and a van that are all automatic, they're all a pleasure to drive. My daughter turns 17 next month but we've ordered a manual for her, she can do the time like the rest of us. 

• Haha 2

Our last car was an automatic. Took a while to get used to (going into reverse while doing 60 on the motorway) but after that it was sound. You could just switch off when you were doing long journeys. 

The manual we've got now is better when you need that extra bit of speed pulling out at junctions or roundabouts, that's about all. Would happily go back to automatic.

3 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I never bothered learning to drive, but I'm having to now, largely to help family members out - ailing health, shopping, picking kids up etc - and I figured I'd go auto as that's the future with electric cars. Wish I'd done it years ago, it's just a glorified dodgem. Got a friend down the road who's the same age and learning on a manual, and I reckon she's spending twice as much on lessons, stalling in traffic and the like's wrecking her confidence.

I didn't learn until I was 36. I've no coordination was shocked when I realised how easy it actually is. Couldn't cope without it now

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I got my first auto 3 years ago and completely agree, allows you to focus more on your driving. I’ll never get another manual again. 

6 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

One of the best cars I ever had was an old J reg 205 automatic. I paid £250 for it and it was fucking brilliant! Like a go cart.

Like a go cart is exactly the terminology I use for autos. Anything automatic and fast would probably end up in a ditch on some of the roads I drive out of town on. 

I already think I’m Lewis Hamilton on the back roads to my daughter’s school and I drive a manual Peugeot 207. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Bellflower said:

Assuming you can find a charging point capable of doing it..............

It was a bit tongue in cheek as they made similar announcements a few years ago - that said Toyota has recently announced a partnership with Tesla to use their charging network and connectors. Might only be in the US though, not sure.

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It was a bit tongue in cheek as they made similar announcements a few years ago - that said Toyota has recently announced a partnership with Tesla to use their charging network and connectors. Might only be in the US though, not sure.

I read an article a week or so ago with someone from Skoda saying they were working on a new battery with similar specs for the new Enyaq model scheduled for 2028.

That type of range/charging time would alleviate the anxiety people have about switching to EV's, but massive investment would be needed on the UK power grid to cope with that sort of energy draw.

• 2 weeks later...