You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Feb 11-15 2023)

tlw content

image.jpeg

It’s hotting up at the top and bottom now, and we got a win so that puts a much more pleasant slant on everything that happened this week. The biggest game was on Wednesday night so I’ll end with that one and get everything else out of the way first.

I’ll start with Arsenal’s controversial home draw with Brentford. Firstly, they got screwed by a ridiculous error by the VAR official Lee Mason. No doubt about that, but hearing Arteta crying about the two points they can’t get back rankled with me for two reasons. One, he wasn’t wanting to hand back the two points VAR handed him against us when they let Gabriel’s handball go unpunished. 

Secondly, it’s proper defeatist, loser talk. It’s a sign that they’re feeling the pressure and don’t believe they’re going to win it. Not surprising, as I don’t believe they’ll win it now. They are who I thought they were and they showed it at Goodison. They’re still Arsenal, they just went on a really good run that disguised it for a while. 

They lost at Everton, they were held to a home draw by Brentford and then they lost a game they simply could not afford to be losing at home to City. I’ll get to that later. For now, let’s look at the Brentford game.

This is a game you have to win if you’re serious about winning the league. After losing at Everton you simply have to bounce back with a home win to set yourself up for the City game a few days later. They didn’t need to beat City, they just needed to beat Brentford and then not lose against City. That would have been fine, but they didn’t beat Brentford and I don’t want to hear excuses about VAR. They shouldn’t be relying on that, just get the game won.

They couldn’t deal with my boy Ivan Toney though. He was brilliant. He hit the bar early on after a brilliant move. He’d already put one on a plate for Rico Henry who fluffed his lines and Brentford were all over them. Mee went close with a header from a corner too.

Arsenal eventually settled and began applying some pressure in the second half but where was that in the first when they should have been flying out of the traps? 

Toney missed another great chance and Arsenal took advantage when Young Farage came off the bench to score at the back post. Arsenal looked nervy as fuck though and my boy levelled with a tap in following some head tennis in the Arsenal box.

It shouldn’t have counted but the key thing for me is that Brentford were well worth a point and that doesn’t reflect well on Arsenal given how much they needed to win this.

What a joke Lee Mason is though. He fucked up twice on that goal. Firstly, Pinnock is offside when he blocks Gabriel. Doesn’t matter that he doesn’t play the ball or even go for it, he’s offside and he blocks Gabriel, stopping him from getting out to challenge Toney.

Mason spent three minutes looking at that and still got it wrong, but even worse, because he was too focused on that he missed a clear offside seconds later when Norgaard crossed for Toney. Scandalous, but cry me a river Legohead.

View full article

• dave u pinned this topic

That Estupinan looked good for Villareal a couple of times against us. A bit dodgy defensively, but very quick and dangerous on the front foot, the way practically all full backs are these days.

When I was a fb in the Zingari I got a nosebleed if I went past the half way line and just kicked wingers harder the older I got and my pace disappeared, like a Ronnie Moran tribute act.

• Upvote 2

West Ham’s game with Chelsea will be remembered more for the Chelsea dickhead being knocked out by Harry Potter prior to kick off. It’s a shame the window is closed or Chelsea would have been throwing a bid in for him. They’re lacking that bit of punch up front.

This is what we pay the subs for.  Tremendous.

• dave u unpinned this topic