You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

It really does show how different people can view the world.  

The only thing keeping me now is the pure football aspect of watching Klopp trying to build a second great team and all the issues around player availability, the player we want wanting to come to us, the budget we have to spend, and then the league starting and seeing how we play and the new players do. 

Were we to be bought up by some State and just signed Bellingham, Caiceado, and anyone else, spunking £300m, that's when I'd be done and I'd walk away.

EDIT - 100% not a dig at anyone elses view on the world.  Just saying where I view things from.

Pretty much my views as well.

24 minutes ago, M_B said:

Colwill will be the next Bellingham. We either won't be able to afford him cause of some bullshit excuse or he'll join City for zillions. 

I think we're learning from the Bellingham thing, and we're now trying to go big on the first move, the one seen as most 'risky', IE Bellingham to Dortmund.  

The Fofana injury puts a spanner in the works, but Chelsea aren't short of resources to replace him. 

The maths and the moving parts of all this, needing homegrown or U22 players, is surely informing whatever decisions are being made. Especially if Phillips is off as well. I imagine they are thinking about a batch of 3 transfers together and in terms of "If we buy X and Y then the third player has to be homegrown/U22" etc rather than just buying someone to replace Fabinho and then moving on to the next position.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Genuinely I think you need to take a break.  Your posts are ridiculously over the top  The ownership has, so far, backed Klopp this summer and there is nothing to suggest that isn't going to continue once the Henderson and Fabinho deals are completed. They've backed him in the past with big money signings.  They've also not backed him too (I think Klopp holds some blame for this along with the owners)

It's not optimism, it's just not being over the top negative.  I do think we'll struggle to compete, but much more because of the State ownership issue that I never want to see Liverpool either becoming, or bankrupting itself trying to keep up with like Barcelona have.  It'll hopefully eventually right itself when loopholes are filled and Man City are formally charged and punished (and yes, before you say it, that will happen.  The PL wouldn't have embarrassed their own league with all those charges without concrete evidence). But that may take time. And while it does, I want to enjoy my footy, and VAR is a much bigger impediment to that then us refusing to pay £250m fee and wages for a 20 year old.

I think you are letting comments and posts get much too much on top of you as you'd swear we were a club about to into administration and get relegated to Division 2 the way you're going on.  You're talking about walking away; I think a few months away form here, and football, would do you a world of good, and, again, I mean that honestly and without snide.  Every outsider is saying we're having a good window so far, it's just a section of Liverpool fans who seem to be panicking.  There'll be more signings to come.  Relax and let it happen and then review when the window closes.  But at this stage, you are are far to worked up,

We will see.

Things arnt getting on top of me, but trends do, and this ownership has form for leaving us short. 

Yes we sign players, but they are always under strict parameters and in minimal numbers. We've signed two so far this window that can go into the starting 11 (cant remember the last time we signed two, Jota and Thiago?), one in January (Gakpo), one last summer (Nunez), one in the window before that (Diaz) and I think one (Konate) the summer before.

6 players ready for the starting eleven over 5 windows. Not great.

Its minimal stuff which is why we are were we are. Anyway lets see if you are right.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Dave D said:

If the Saudi league prospers the European Super League will resurface pretty sharpish 

Money talks clearly. The super League will be a Saudi led one. The premier league fucked itself when they let them in and they're going to get carved apart from the inside

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Once Klopp has gone its over. finished.

We will be also rans like we where before he arrived. I think a lot of people have forgotten just how bad we were under FSG pre Klopp. The guy is a miracle worker.

Ah yes, those long barren whole 17 months under Rodgers when we were shit.

We were shit under FSG before Klopp turned up, except for 13/14 I don't think we made top four under them.

Lots of that was down to Rafa's squad getting older, more injury prone, and generally a bit shitter, and there being no money for replacements under the previous owners.

But when Klopp goes I expect the squad to be significantly stronger than when he joined. That should help whoever replaces him.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

The maths and the moving parts of all this, needing homegrown or U22 players, is surely informing whatever decisions are being made. Especially if Phillips is off as well. I imagine they are thinking about a batch of 3 transfers together and in terms of "If we buy X and Y then the third player has to be homegrown/U22" etc rather than just buying someone to replace Fabinho and then moving on to the next position.

It highlights how stupid it was to give up a non HG spot to Adrian. We should have let him go and got a HG goalkeeper in at third choice. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Also, I think Klopp has made plenty of the decisions not to spend.  For example, I think the decision not to pursue Bellingham was 100% Klopp.  He's made many poor decisions that he should be criticised for, none more so than not starting the midfield overhaul much sooner. 

Not skimming an Erdinger is another.

1 hour ago, etho said:

Money talks clearly. The super League will be a Saudi led one. The premier league fucked itself when they let them in and they're going to get carved apart from the inside

Wonder what will happen to the football league

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

It highlights how stupid it was to give up a non HG spot to Adrian. We should have let him go and got a HG goalkeeper in at third choice. 

I don't disagree with this but get the impression Adrian is a big personality in the dressing room and perhaps is being kept on for many of the reasons people wanted Milner to stick around. 

I am absolutely made up with Hendo and Fabinho being taken, I really am. I was resigned to a couple of years of watching us having to carry and drag along with washed up players until their contracts eventually expired.

Players who can't tackle, can't press, can't defend and can't pass the ball. It is boss to see them being shipped out and the team will be transformed as a result.

• Upvote 5

Thinking about some of the links, that fee Palace are quoting for Doucoure is excessive, but if we actually want him, it would basically be covered by the Fabinho, Henderson and Phillips departures, or close to.

He's underrated. Palace player of the season last season, in a system that was really conservative, where he wasn't utilizing his mobility to press or much of his progressive passing, which was evident in France. He is someone who is primed to go up a level at a big club, I think.

For me, him or Lavia are the best options. Then Adams, but he's injury prone. I don't think we should be looking outside the Premier League for this one. There's good options there and we need someone ready. Don't want a Sangare type from Holland.

• Upvote 2