You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

While we're probably interested I think the large amount of preparatory work the club seem to be doing on players, agents and clubs ready for June is probably driving that speculation more than any real bid being imminent.

27 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

People are very clement with players like Ugarte. They hear about someone who runs and tackles a lot and they're automatically in. Not a comment on Ugarte specifically, but there's a low bar sometimes with supporters.

I think it’s a pretty natural reaction to the prospect of signing someone you haven't seen much / anything of who's apparently highly regarded. There's the hope they'll be something special, and we'll see a mercurial talent suddenly emerge. Something new.

When it's players like Mount or Mac, you know what you're getting, and that thrill of the unknown is gone. It's all a bit take the money or open the box - most football fans would opt for the latter based on a highlights reel.

Honestly, I find myself in much the same boat. After being one of the top sides in Europe, Mount, Mac and Gravenberch all seems a bit, well, Tottenham. Luckily, I'm not involved in our recruitment.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

If Trent continues to play further forward, I’d like to see us in for a promising cub RB/right sided CB.

We have two of the best RB prospects currently going. We also have a 23 year old Konate and a seasoned international in Gomez who has played extensively at both.

Feel free to denigrate all of them or just the ones you don't fancy but there are not many players in the world who are more promising.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We have two of the best RB prospects currently going. We also have a 23 year old Konate and a seasoned international in Gomez who has played extensively at both.

Feel free to denigrate all of them or just the ones you don't fancy but there are not many players in the world who are more promising.

Okay, cheers for that insight.

9 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I think it’s a pretty natural reaction to the prospect of signing someone you haven't seen much / anything of who's apparently highly regarded. There's the hope they'll be something special, and we'll see a mercurial talent suddenly emerge. Something new.

When it's players like Mount or Mac, you know what you're getting, and that thrill of the unknown is gone. It's all a bit take the money or open the box - most football fans would opt for the latter based on a highlights reel.

Honestly, I find myself in much the same boat. After being one of the top sides in Europe, Mount, Mac and Gravenberch all seems a bit, well, Tottenham. Luckily, I'm not involved in our recruitment.

From what I’ve seen, I’d be delighted for us to sign Mac Allister. I wouldn’t be overly keen on Mount and don’t know enough about Gravenberch, though he fits into my Dutch/Croatian/Uruguayan signing policy. 

On 11/05/2023 at 09:32, El Dangerous said:

The Mount thing sounds like a non starter to me. If the sticking point is wages then what the fuck are we offering to make him turn his head because it won’t be as much as Brewster Millions over there. The lure of Liverpool and Klopp can only go so far with a southern Chelsea boy like Mount.

Yeah I think he's seen the massive contracts that Reece James and Raheem Sterling have been given and wants parierty with them.

Chelsea need to sell though and from an FFP perspective Mount would make 100% profit. 

I'm still not 100% sure where Mount's best position is. 

13 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I think it’s a pretty natural reaction to the prospect of signing someone who can run you haven't seen much / anything of who's apparently highly regarded. There's the hope they'll be something special, and we'll see a mercurial talent suddenly emerge. Something new.

Agreed.

• Upvote 1

Ugarte has massive Torriea vibes off him*

* never seen him play and the spelling is probably wrong, lad that played for Arsenal,  was considered better than Pele and the answer to all Arsenal's problems for about 6 weeks. I'm out.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

This has been followed by numerous comments of “underwhelming”.

Not sure they’d be my first choices but they aren’t bad players - as someone said earlier in the thread, our CL & League winning squad were based around a players for Sunderland & Newcastle.

IMG_9074.jpeg

I actually think the #6 role is fine. We have Fabinho (who has been better recently), Thiago and Hendo who can play there. Bajectic as well.

We then have Bajectic, Jones, Elliott & the above new players to cover #8. 

Plenty of options. Klopp’s decision if they are good enough.

You could make an argument that the number 6 is now the most important position in football. Fabinho, even with his recent uplift is just OK/good. A midfield of Henderson, Fabinho, Elliot, Jones, Bacjetic, McCallister, Mount, Gravenberch and Thiago will get us back to 2nd, the next step to first is someone way more dominant than Fab.

28 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'm more talking about the type of midfielder Ugarte is. People love a "destroyer". You get a lot of leeway if you can put in a tackle. Has anyone for a second looked at what he can do with the ball? I don't really know myself, I'm asking the question. It's like the people who loved Lucas because he put a foot in. I'd rather have someone like Busquets every day of the week. Or at least someone super complete at that position.

Whereas you look at someone like Mac Allister, who is basically good at everything and it's like; well but he's not big, he's not a super athlete. Looking for ways to denigrate because there isn't some massive standout quality. And it's like, the guy's just a really good player who can play multiple positions. Isn't that what we want?

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

No problem man - BTW it is not my insight - it is the club's/Klopp's.

Do you have anything else to add in the up and coming RB/RCB stakes or is that it?

Nothing at all. Happy to defer to your superior, definitive knowledge on everything.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm more talking about the type of midfielder Ugarte is. People love a "destroyer". You get a lot of leeway if you can put in a tackle. Has anyone for a second looked at what he can do with the ball?

His pass completion over short and medium distances is in the high 90's, when he does attempt long passes (which isn't often) it's in the high 80's, carrying the ball (progressive carries, carrying the ball, taking players on etc) are all in the 80's to low 90's (so he's no slouch with the ball),  and his defensive numbers are off the charts.

While you can't rely solely on those numbers and have to take other factors in to account like quality of opposition etc it's not a bad base to build on if you were looking for a destroyer.

https://fbref.com/en/players/c9817014/scout/365_m2/Manuel-Ugarte-Ribeiro-Scouting-Report

Can't attack for shit though.

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

His pass completion over short and medium distances is in the high 90's, when he does attempt long passes (which isn't often) it's in the high 80's, carrying the ball (progressive carries, carrying the ball, taking players on etc) are all in the 80's to low 90's (so he's no slouch with the ball),  and his defensive numbers are off the charts.

While you can't rely solely on those numbers and have to take other factors in to account like quality of opposition etc it's not a bad base to build on if you were looking for a destroyer.

https://fbref.com/en/players/c9817014/scout/365_m2/Manuel-Ugarte-Ribeiro-Scouting-Report

Can't attack for shit though.

Yeah, it depends what you would want him to be. 

As a #8, you'd want more progression, but you could envision a pressing machine with those stats. 

As a #6, he looks pretty good. Maybe you'd wish he was a bit taller/better in the air.

The pass percentage is great but we'd have to figure out whether that translates to press resistance. Might be more of an eye test thing. Wijnaldum used to look useless statistically until you realize his whole job was to not give the ball away and no one could take it off him.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm more talking about the type of midfielder Ugarte is. People love a "destroyer". You get a lot of leeway if you can put in a tackle. Has anyone for a second looked at what he can do with the ball? I don't really know myself, I'm asking the question. It's like the people who loved Lucas because he put a foot in. I'd rather have someone like Busquets every day of the week. Or at least someone super complete at that position.

Whereas you look at someone like Mac Allister, who is basically good at everything and it's like; well but he's not big, he's not a super athlete. Looking for ways to denigrate because there isn't some massive standout quality. And it's like, the guy's just a really good player who can play multiple positions. Isn't that what we want?

Fair enough points. From the compilations, his interception/tackling is off the scale, but that’s not necessarily a good fit for us if he has deficits elsewhere.

No guarantees, but Mac Allister looks as near to a complete midfielder as we could be in for at the price.

Depends if you're wedded to a particular style of #6 and whether we play with a single #6 or double pivot.

You're not paying him as one of the advanced #8's in a box midfield but you could line him up alongside Trent at the base in a Mascherano/Alonso style set up, or as the left sided 8 in our traditional 3 midfield set up.

Adding him to Fabinho, Bajcetic and Thiago (with Trent and Henderson) would give us a decent spread of abilities for the base of midfield options.

All that's on paper of course, he could get here and completely fail to settle or be completely unsuited to premier league football (he has played well against Spurs and Arsenal this season though so he's had some limited experience).

15 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Fair enough points. From the compilations, his interception/tackling is off the scale, but that’s not necessarily a good fit for us if he has deficits elsewhere.

No guarantees, but Mac Allister looks as near to a complete midfielder as we could be in for at the price.

I think what people forget is that Fabinho, Gini and Hendo, while they weren't absolute freak talents, they were all technically solid. Fabinho had a wedge game, he could chip some passes over the defense. Wijnaldum basically did not lose it. Henderson, while he had some deficiencies, he had a good right foot, some passing range.

I think people look at midfielders and they want that specific profile. Especially the guy who tackles, or the guy who is big and athletic. And it's like no, they have to be really good at multiple things.