You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

16 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Depends if you're wedded to a particular style of #6 and whether we play with a single #6 or double pivot.

You're not paying him as one of the advanced #8's in a box midfield but you could line him up alongside Trent at the base in a Mascherano/Alonso style set up, or as the left sided 8 in our traditional 3 midfield set up.

Adding him to Fabinho, Bajcetic and Thiago (with Trent and Henderson) would give us a decent spread of abilities for the base of midfield options.

All that's on paper of course, he could get here and completely fail to settle or be completely unsuited to premier league football (he has played well against Spurs and Arsenal this season though so he's had some limited experience).

I agree that on paper, Ugarte, Thiago, Fabinho and Bajcetic is a good mix of skills. And add whatever Trent is doing there as well.

I heard Mac Allisters injury record is superb, very Gini. He lacks Ginis complete handsomeness but if we can get him for around 8.5 million pounds the collymore fee that still makes me gasp at its largesse, then I'd be happy while I wait for us to spend at least the absolute minimum of 200 million buying better midfielders alongside maybe a defender. Sell Jota I don't care if when he's on it he's on it he's a crock I'm sick of players not being an option. All crocks must go your fucking useless to us.

Gundogan on a frees far better value and a far better player than all these bums getting mentioned here. 

Can’t believe there’s people with sight who think signing a player who reminds them of Lucas fucking Leiva will be a good thing. This place is getting as bad as GOT

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Gundogan on a frees far better value and a far better player than all these bums getting mentioned here. 

Can’t believe there’s people with sight who think signing a player who reminds them of Lucas fucking Leiva will be a good thing. This place is getting as bad as GOT

Agreed on Gundogan, I’d love him here, but he’s been asked that and said he’d not play for another PL club, even though he’s great relationship with Klopp IIRC

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, redrosetints said:

Agreed on Gundogan, I’d love him here, but he’s been asked that and said he’d not play for another PL club, even though he’s great relationship with Klopp IIRC

Shame that cos he’s a cracker player him and would still be great for us. 

• Upvote 1

Gundugan is 32 and will be 33 in October. It seems to me everyone has moaned how old our midfield is and the answer is bringing in someone who sits in age between Henderson and thiago. He's a cracking player, but our aim this summer surely needs to be some fresh legs. We have the old boys. Part of the shit we're in now was replacing Gini with someone of a similar age.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Gundugan is 32 and will be 33 in October. It seems to me everyone has moaned how old our midfield is and the answer is bringing in someone who sits in age between Henderson and thiago. He's a cracking player, but our aim this summer surely needs to be some fresh legs. We have the old boys. Part of the shit we're in now was replacing Gini with someone of a similar age.

It’s not just about age is it, it’s about the right player. Gundogan would be an upgrade on Milner and Thiago IMHO proven prem talent who would make us better on a free. We’d still need some younger legs elsewhere anyway it’s all moot as he isn’t coming 

Personally I think we’ve made a massive fuckup in previous windows that won’t be fixed this summer.

And the noises coming out of the club suggest no war chest, no big spending, I’m just not convinced we will do what needs to be done and we will continually be playing catch up from now on and the inconsistent performances we are seeing will become the norm.

in short I’ve lost faith in our owners, well what little I had in them, and Jurgen to an extent. It’s all changed, there’s no drive and passion to succeed like there once was, the successful strategy we once implemented is no longer followed, the targets we are linked with don’t make a lot of sense, yep it’s just another nail in the football coffin for me.

Transfers were something I used to get excited about, now every year it just fills me with apathy and I hate it. It shouldn’t be this way with a club of this size and stature but it is.

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

And the noises coming out of the club suggest no war chest, no big spending,

That's simply not true. All noises are that Klopp will have significant money. Just because he’s chosen not to spend over half of it on one player doesn’t mean big money isn’t there. It clearly is.  

13 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Personally I think we’ve made a massive fuckup in previous windows that won’t be fixed this summer.

And the noises coming out of the club suggest no war chest, no big spending, I’m just not convinced we will do what needs to be done and we will continually be playing catch up from now on and the inconsistent performances we are seeing will become the norm.

in short I’ve lost faith in our owners, well what little I had in them, and Jurgen to an extent. It’s all changed, there’s no drive and passion to succeed like there once was, the successful strategy we once implemented is no longer followed, the targets we are linked with don’t make a lot of sense, yep it’s just another nail in the football coffin for me.

Transfers were something I used to get excited about, now every year it just fills me with apathy and I hate it. It shouldn’t be this way with a club of this size and stature but it is.

superstore-amy-sosa.gif

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

We will see.

We will, but that’s not what we’re discussing. I’m reacting to your comment that “all noises suggest no war chest” when that’s simply not true. The journalists the club leak too have all been saying since day one that the club accept major squad work is needed and Klopp will have significant funds. Whatever he spends, and who on, is a different thing. But very much contrary to what you claim, all noises from the club are Klopp will be handed significant money. That’s a simple fact. 

I get everyone want to be dramatic now because we’ve stepped away from Bellingham, but let’s not start just outright lying. 

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I’m quite Samguine about Bellingham, summer transfers etc I’d love him here as a great player, statement of intent, new Steven G etc but as has been said many times I’m sure, the best ‘teams’ are about being greater than the sum of their parts.

So yes we ‘should’ have been able to get him and others to upgrade the team and squad and yes it’s shit but if we could rule the world and challenge the cheats regularly, to within 2 games of a quadruple under 12 months ago, Im sure we can bring in the right players to make us better and kick back on without him.

We won the title primarily with a midfield of Fabinhio, Hendo, Gini, Milner and the Ox. A very good midfield but not necessarily individuals with the great highlight reel or the perceived skill of others, but it was their energy and effectiveness as a combination that worked. Graft, intelligence, drive etc

With the current talent and diversity across the front 5, Trent in his creative role, it’s some of those water carriers we need now. It’s about the right fit, not necessarily about the most talented (skilful) player.

We just got to trust the mgmt to get the right players, get a good off season in to perhaps finally get over the mental and physical exhaustion, hangover from last season and go again. 

31 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

That's simply not true. All noises are that Klopp will have significant money. Just because he’s chosen not to spend over half of it on one player doesn’t mean big money isn’t there. It clearly is.  

They make these noises every Spring.