You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where will we finish then?

an tha

Where will we finish?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. So where will we finish then?

• I am the eternal optimist - 1st
    • Still only one side better than us - 2nd
    • It is 20/21 all over again, we'll rally and finish 3rd
    • Top 4 is best we can hope 4 now and I reckon we will scrape 4th
    • No top 4 this season - 5th
    • We are heading for UEFA cup - 6th
    • From the European Cup Final to the Conference League - fuck! - 7th
    • 8th
    • Our lowest finish since we came back up in 1962 lower than 8th

This poll is closed to new votes

4th.

Spurs are dangerous enough for a fourth place battle but they are brittle as today showed. 

Newcastle just haven't been winning and dropping a lot of silly points. I think they will be happy enough with their season and will come 6th - face it the horrible bastards are ahead of schedule with their sportswashing project. Credit to Howe he is a good manager. Just over a year ago they were odds on to be relegated. Hillarious that he is a boyhood Blue.

We aren't in a battle to get 93+ points. We just need to go on a nice little run and pick up in the places that count (Mancs at home, Spurs at home). This season feels a little like two years ago for me.

I would love to drop United into the mix but I don't see it unless they lose Casemiro and Rashford to inury and they have a bit of a fixture pile up and drop unexpected points. Still stranger things have happened.

I don't think Brighton can be ruled out. They've not been mentioned much but they're only a point behind us with a game in hand. They look a really good team when they're on it. I think they might at least end up finishing above Newcastle.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mike23 said:

I don't think Brighton can be ruled out. They've not been mentioned much but they're only a point behind us with a game in hand. They look a really good team when they're on it. I think they might at least end up finishing above Newcastle.

I watch quite a bit of other football, and they’ve easily been the 3rd best TEAM in the league this year. The luck Utd have had is massive, and Newcastle have gotten a lot out of their games too. 

I still think we’ll get top 4, but Brighton moght be our nearest competitor.

1 hour ago, lebron said:

I watch quite a bit of other football, and they’ve easily been the 3rd best TEAM in the league this year. The luck Utd have had is massive, and Newcastle have gotten a lot out of their games too. 

I still think we’ll get top 4, but Brighton moght be our nearest competitor.

Today is the pivot. Win today and close the gap on spurs, top 4 is well within reach. Lose and it’s still achievable but much harder. 

On 21/02/2023 at 11:13, Razoray said:

I was watching a clip earlier, of pundits saying that Manchester United are well in the title race and a lot predict that they will finish ahead of Arsenal.

I know tonight is the focus but we play Wolves at home and Palace away in the league, before United play again, against us on 5th March at Anfield. 

If we win the 3 of those games, we are 5 points behind them with the same amount of games played. With 13 games left after that, I'd be very confident that we would finish ahead of them. Even if we are 8 behind them at that stage I'd feel we could do it. The next 2 weeks are huge. 

We've supposedly been very poor since the world cup and they have been amazing, yet they've only picked up 4 more points than us in the last 8 games.

We were 11/4 to finish in the top 4 before the Newcastle game but are now 7/5, ahead of Newcastle and Spurs. 

I've gone mad this morning and put a couple of pence on 

City Arsenal Us to finish in that order 14/1

Arsenal City us 16/1. 

Obviously this all hinges on the team continuing the form of the past 8 days but I'm a believer. 

Anyone else want what I'm drinking? 

Doesn’t feel as mad now as it did then. 7 points behind them with 13 games to play and we are hitting form. 

We are evens for top 4 now. 

• Upvote 1

Depends on the next few weeks. Most of the other teams looking at 3/4th have easier fixtures. We need performances like that consistently. And have City,Chelsea and Arsenal after Bournemouth and Fulham with 2 of them away. 2 out the last 3 away to Leicester and Southampton who both will be scrapping for points. We can't afford many slip ups or draws

We were 8/1 to finish in the top 4 a couple of weeks ago and bound to be not much better than evens now. The only thing stopping us is another run of injuries to key players. For me,Konate is absolutely vital. We look so much stronger at the back with him and it allows our full backs to push on and play their natural attacking roles.

20 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Beat these cunts today and they stay in the uefa and I think we'll finish 3rd. I expect us to get 4th from here though. Spurs are not good. Newcastle have barely scored a goal since the WC and are starting to look like Everton. And fuck Fulham and Brighton, we have to do better than both of them. 

Yep. I said third on the pod. 

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Depends on the next few weeks. Most of the other teams looking at 3/4th have easier fixtures. We need performances like that consistently. And have City,Chelsea and Arsenal after Bournemouth and Fulham with 2 of them away. 2 out the last 3 away to Leicester and Southampton who both will be scrapping for points. We can't afford many slip ups or draws

Yeah 3 games after Bournemouth are brutal - will come after a 3 week league break as well the 3 of them in little over a week.

We play Bournemouth on 11th - no league game then until 1st April - cheats away. Fulham is off. Then it is international shite. Unbelievable there has to be more of that bollocks after season was stopped for weeks it.

Both Tottenham and Newcastle play twice before we go away to the cheats as do Brighton.

Really need to do our job at Bournemouth off back of our exploits yesterday.

We'll know a lot more about where we are as a team and where we stand after that 3 game burst at start of April....a good pts haul from them and we are set up nicely - a poor haul and we'll likely have a fair bit of work to do, albeit with worst of our fixtures behind us.

The pundits (particularly the ex-United lot) are focusing on yesterday almost being a giant killing - the alternative angle is that we're a far better team than them, with a far better manager, that's slowly recovering from an abysmal run of form. Granted this depends on the owners putting their hands in their pockets, but I'd be disappointed if we didn't finish 15 points ahead of them next season.

But this season I'd still take scraping 4th, and I suspect that's the best we can hope for. It's that run of City, Arsenal and Chelsea that worries me.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paul said:

Yep. I said third on the pod. 

We've just got to not shit the bead over the next 4 games. I hate these breaks, we are never better for them. And Henderson needs to fuck off this international shit. He's shown flashes of form over recent weeks by having his minutes managed. Now's not the time to have that all fuck up by wanking off with England. 

22 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We've just got to not shit the bead over the next 4 games. I hate these breaks, we are never better for them. And Henderson needs to fuck off this international shit. He's shown flashes of form over recent weeks by having his minutes managed. Now's not the time to have that all fuck up by wanking off with England. 

For injury-prone players, surely a different training regime with an international side increases the risk of a setback.