You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

It's pretty simple with Nunez I reckon. He's been here long enough now for us to have seen that, for Liverpool, he's a forward who gets/makes a lot of chances, but converts them at a pretty low rate - so a high volume-low conversion forward. That means simplistically one of four things can happen:

1. He keeps his chance volume high, but increases his conversion. Even just a move to 'normal' conversion would see him become a leading scorer; if he could go higher than that he'd become a goal monster like Haaland.
  2. His conversion stays low but his volume goes down. Say, if his confidence evaporates because of his low conversion.
  3. He increases his conversion but at a cost of volume, to become more of a ruthless "not many chances but when he gets one he tucks it away" player, like Bowen or Son.
  4. He carries on being the striker he is now: high volume, low conversion.

I'd say 3 is the least likely as we'll always be a fairly attacking team regardless of Nunez, 4 is probably the most likely as he's been like this for us for ~15 months now, and whether it's 1 or 2 depends on your belief in him. I reckon 1, personally, because that's who he was for Benfica before we signed him - but I guess 2 isn't impossible either given the pressure on him.

On 11/01/2024 at 11:56, dave u said:

Stop making everything about Mo, take it to the Mo thread and stop doing my boy dirty with your bullshit stats that include 8 international goals for Gakpo (going back fucking ages by the looks of it) while ignoring the ones Darwin scored for Uruguay.

This was actually to show that all of Gakpo, Jota and Nunez are close to 10 goals overall and we are only halfway through the season. Combined with Salah I dont think any other clubs can get close to these numbers.

I think its fair to think that when the season finish we will have four players having scored 15+ goals during the season.

Has that happened before?

1 hour ago, Code said:

This was actually to show that all of Gakpo, Jota and Nunez are close to 10 goals overall and we are only halfway through the season. Combined with Salah I dont think any other clubs can get close to these numbers.

I think its fair to think that when the season finish we will have four players having scored 15+ goals during the season.

Don't know, but it would have if Coutinho hadn't fucked off in the January when he was on 12 goals. Mo ended on 44, Bobby 27 and Sadio 20.

Nunez has the same amount of league goals as Rashford,Martial,Hojlund,Sancho and Antony combined

He also has more league assists than RashfordFernandes,Sancho, Hojlund,Antony,Martial combined

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Code said:

19 hours ago, dave u said:

Don't know, but it would have if Coutinho hadn't fucked off in the January when he was on 12 goals. Mo ended on 44, Bobby 27 and Sadio 20.

When everyone’s available, it’s great being able to bring on two quality attackers to freshen things up. Makes a huge difference.

Still, I reckon goals from midfield has been the telling difference this season, particularly when compared to what Henderson/Fabinho/Milner/Thiago offered in that regard.

Mac Allister has been a surprise in that he only has one, but Szoboszlai/Jones/Endo/Gravenberch all pose threats of different potency. 

I'm not sure we need every goal he scores to be a 'turning point' for him.

We're top of the league, going strong in the cups & he has been an absolutely huge part of that. I'm not convinced he's actually going to become a 30 goal a season striker but I'm pretty sure he's going to be a very important player for years to come.

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm not sure we need every goal he scores to be a 'turning point' for him.

We're top of the league, going strong in the cups & he has been an absolutely huge part of that. I'm not convinced he's actually going to become a 30 goal a season striker but I'm pretty sure he's going to be a very important player for years to come.

Yeah the idea peddled by pundits that he's some kind of enigma is bollocks, his general play is consistent, he's just missed some high profile chances and been pilloried because of the narrative about him being a donkey early on, which is bollocks. Problem is mud sticks so he'll be contending with that for years, much Like Suarez got shit whenever he dove or drew blood.

Carragher with his Captain chaos comments is really irritating. His general play and decision making is excellent, he holds the ball up, links play and presses intelligently. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, etho said:

Carragher with his Captain chaos comments is really irritating. His general play and decision making is excellent, he holds the ball up, links play and presses intelligently. 

Yep. He's not unpredictable at all, he's a good played who could be a top one. 

30 minutes ago, etho said:

I can sort of understand were he's coming from , He's a handful and you never quite know what he's going to do next he did say he wouldn't like to play against him which is a compliment obviously,  but he looked the bollocks today let's hope he carrys on in this form .

42 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

I can sort of understand were he's coming from , He's a handful and you never quite know what he's going to do next he did say he wouldn't like to play against him which is a compliment obviously,  but he looked the bollocks today let's hope he carrys on in this form .

You see I don't quite understand this "you don't know what he's going to do next". I think it's normally really clear. Stopping it is quite another matter. His movement is absolutely tremendous and almost impossible to stop, because it's both smart and quick.