You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

5 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Out of the ones we’ve been realistically linked with (Neves, Tielemans and Lainer) I’d much rather have Lainer than the other two. 

I mean, I’d take any of them at the minute because we need bodies and Neves and Tielemans could do a job but Lainer fits our team a lot better in my opinion. 

He’s not as good technically as the other two but he has attributes they don’t that I think would be more beneficial to the team. He’s great at pressing which is something that hasn’t been up to scratch this season and he’s got a much better mentality than Tielemans if not Neves. 

Mainly though his versatility and pace appeal to me massively. He can play the left or right 8 or cover for Fab and play right back if needed. And he’d not only be our fastest midfielder by a considerable distance, which is something we desperately need, he’d be one of the fastest players in the squad. He’d be ideal covering for Trent when he goes upfield. 

27376B72-0475-438D-85A3-CC8D1AC0119D.png

Is his ankle ok though?

He had a bad fracture and missed 8 months with it and has since been out with 'ankle problems'

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Is his ankle ok though?

He had a bad fracture and missed 8 months with it and has since been out with 'ankle problems'

He hasn’t missed too many games apart from the main ankle injury. I’m not too worried about that tbh, sure the medical will pick up if he’s fucked. He’s not like Thiago or Ox before we signed them, he’s just had the one bad injury. 

D812E9AC-310A-407D-B31B-26D546807FBC.png

2 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

He hasn’t missed too many games apart from the main ankle injury. I’m not too worried about that tbh, sure the medical will pick up if he’s fucked. He’s not like Thiago or Ox before we signed them, he’s just had the one bad injury. 

D812E9AC-310A-407D-B31B-26D546807FBC.png

He likes an abductor injury!

6 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

"Not as good technically" are the words I love to hear about our new midfield target.

I’d love De Jong or Barella but it doesn’t look like a signing like that will happen so at the price range we’re browsing you’re going to have to compromise somewhere. Don’t have to like it, it’s just a fact. 

And I’d rather have someone who can press and add a physical presence to the midfield than someone who is better on the ball but slow. Just my personal preference. 

I'd skip Laimer because of the injuries, which you can pretty much take to the bank they will increase with us, not decrease, but if we're looking for maybe the hardest working midfielder in the world, it might be him. When Ljinders cringely talks about "pressing monsters" or whatever, this guy would typify that. 

This Laimer played the equivalent of nearly 14 full games in the league for Leipzig last season.

Not because of injury to be fair, he was only injured for 5 games but because he was only selected in their starting 11 15 times.

He came off bench 11 times.

Unused sub 3 times.

1,241 mins - works out to just under 14 full games worth of mins.

If he hasn't been first choice at that level - is he good enough for us?

Maybe that was down to it being the season after he missed 8 months with that ankle break to be fair - but regardless he has not played a lot of football over last 2 years and we need someone who is sturdy and reliable - not sure he is...especially given how tough it is to play for us.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

This Laimer played the equivalent of nearly 14 full games in the league for Leipzig last season.

Not because of injury to be fair, he was only injured for 5 games but because he was only selected in their starting 11 15 times.

He came off bench 11 times.

Unused sub 3 times.

1,241 mins - works out to just under 14 full games worth of mins.

If he hasn't been first choice at that level - is he good enough for us?

Maybe that was down to it being the season after he missed 8 months with that ankle break to be fair - but regardless he has not played a lot of football over last 2 years and we need someone who is sturdy and reliable - not sure he is...especially given how tough it is to play for us.

Now look at Konate the season before we signed him. Available for 24 Bundesliga games, played 692 minutes. Ten games on the bench which he didn’t come on for. Came on as a sub for another half a dozen games. Also didn’t play much the two years before we signed him. Is he good enough for us?

It looks like we’re shopping in the bargain basement relatively speaking. There will be cons as well as pros. 

Just now, Sugar Ape said:

Now look at Konate the season before we signed him. Available for 24 Bundesliga games, played 692 minutes. Ten games on the bench which he didn’t come on for. Came on as a sub for another half a dozen games. Also didn’t play much the two years before we signed him. Is he good enough for us?

It looks like we’re shopping in the bargain basement relatively speaking. There will be cons as well as pros. 

Not an unreasonable point - Only thing i'd say is Konate was about what 20/21 at that stage not 24/25

27 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'd skip Laimer because of the injuries, which you can pretty much take to the bank they will increase with us, not decrease, but if we're looking for maybe the hardest working midfielder in the world, it might be him. When Ljinders cringely talks about "pressing monsters" or whatever, this guy would typify that. 

To fair take out the broken ankle and he has missed about 20 games since 2015.

7 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

If that is the case then based on what Klopp said you wouldn't think we would bother.

I am wondering if it will be somebody we have barely been linked with as Neves and Caicedo are looking unlikely. If this lad is not really a regular cannot see how he meets the criteria.

Would be really surprised if it's De Jong due to high wages and fee - I think he will leave Barca though. 

Maybe someone left field - Neuhaus?

I tired of people saying that so and so won't be a good signing because he won't fit into "Klopp's midfield". Newsflash, I don't want that midfield anymore, I want a midfield which is faster, quicker, more agile and aggressive and above all, more creative and potent.

Time to redesign, rebuild and restock.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

If their goal is someone shite, massively over rated and English then both are perfect candidates I guess. 

Have Chelsea run out of slots for foreign players? 

I see they've just released Barkley. I thought he had already joined Everton! 

1 hour ago, an tha said:

We have an unbelievable amount of games from now until it all stops for that world cup shite and the schedule is relentless.

All our rivals have strengthed and are strengthening - it would just feel like we are really missing a kick if we don't  - and by strengthening right now i don't necessarily mean buying a world beater for midfield - be great if we could of course - i am talking about adding some much needed depth and reliability so we aren't relying on wastes of space like Keita and Ox and so we can rotate/rest players and of course cover injuries without a massive drop off or even worse having nobody available because the cover are injured yet again too.

To be fair, I don't think City's squad is too deep this season. No backup at full back, centre backs who are often injured (I think they only have one available for weds), centre mid they've brought in the Leeds lad to replace fernandinho, but he's spent most of last year out. And haaland likes an injury. 

17 minutes ago, an tha said:

Not an unreasonable point - Only thing i'd say is Konate was about what 20/21 at that stage not 24/25

And of course konate is currently out with a long term injury and perhaps was available last year because he rotated with matip. Anyone we sign in midfield is going to get the chance to play every week if he stays fit, as those around him will always be getting injured.