You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I don't reckon we'd go for those two, we go more for potential. Nobody thought Mo or Jota would do what they've done here. 

Regardless of FSG's shortcomings, I'm always optimistic about Klopp and his team's ability to spot a player.

I don't think either have realised that yet but I know what you're saying. Pisses me off though that the two players who are guaranteed to rip it up for the next 6/7 years are nailed on for City or Real Madrid and we don't seem to have a sniff. 

Agreed on the last bit. We should have it written into Klopps contract that when you go, your team stays and you still give the last word on signings for us and you just stay forever you're not going anywhere. 

4 hours ago, Boss said:

He looked sharp in this game against us. Beat a few of our players and should've had an assist.

Thanks for finding this. He’s defo not the one I hated when we played them which is such a relief. Looks handy.

15 hours ago, aRdja said:

I’ll bite. What’s really good about this ‘shot map’?

Sure, it's pretty straightforward.

One of the things analysts will look for is a player who doesn't waste possession. So if you're a good attacking team, then just having the ball in the opponent's final third is worth about 0.04 xG - so on average, for every 25 or so times you have the ball in your opponents' final third, you'll score one goal.

And it's pretty hard to criticise a player who takes a bad shot once in a while - maybe the ball sat up nicely for them, maybe there was no one else to pass to, etc. But if you see players regularly taking shots that score 1/50, then that's a bad move, strategically, for your team. Especially in a really good team, you want to see players playing a slightly riskier pass to a player in a better position rather than taking a long shot - statistically, it will work out better for you in the long term.

A player who regularly shoots from bad positions, 20 yards+ from goal, is thus a liability for your team. Far better to hold it up, wait for teammates to arrive, and try to build an attack that leads to a better shot.

So a player with Luis Diaz' shot map is great! It shows that he doesn't waste possession by taking low-percentage shots. The best player in the league at this is probably Jota - he almost NEVER takes bad shots.

Luis Diaz:

FKLLeM_XIAMEAV1?format=png&name=small

Diogo Jota:

FJnTzFMWQAkJJNF?format=jpg&name=small

And, for contrast, here's a player with probably the worst shot map in the league - Ruben Neves. Apart from penalties, he might score one or two worldies every season, and that's what we remember because they're on MOTD, but the truth is, if he'd just recycle possession most of the time, unless it's really in a great position for a shot, Wolves would average out more goals.

D_mcgVFXsAEHCcV?format=jpg&name=small

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Sure, it's pretty straightforward.

One of the things analysts will look for is a player who doesn't waste possession. So if you're a good attacking team, then just having the ball in the opponent's final third is worth about 0.04 xG - so on average, for every 25 or so times you have the ball in your opponents' final third, you'll score one goal.

And it's pretty hard to criticise a player who takes a bad shot once in a while - maybe the ball sat up nicely for them, maybe there was no one else to pass to, etc. But if you see players regularly taking shots that score 1/50, then that's a bad move, strategically, for your team. Especially in a really good team, you want to see players playing a slightly riskier pass to a player in a better position rather than taking a long shot - statistically, it will work out better for you in the long term.

A player who regularly shoots from bad positions, 20 yards+ from goal, is thus a liability for your team. Far better to hold it up, wait for teammates to arrive, and try to build an attack that leads to a better shot.

So a player with Luis Diaz' shot map is great! It shows that he doesn't waste possession by taking low-percentage shots. The best player in the league at this is probably Jota - he almost NEVER takes bad shots.

Luis Diaz:

FKLLeM_XIAMEAV1?format=png&name=small

Diogo Jota:

FJnTzFMWQAkJJNF?format=jpg&name=small

And, for contrast, here's a player with probably the worst shot map in the league - Ruben Neves. Apart from penalties, he might score one or two worldies every season, and that's what we remember because they're on MOTD, but the truth is, if he'd just recycle possession most of the time, unless it's really in a great position for a shot, Wolves would average out more goals.

D_mcgVFXsAEHCcV?format=jpg&name=small

To add to the above, the shot selection and placement is comparable with Jota's as well, lot's of shots in the lower third or on the edges away from the keeper very few straight at the keeper

1qzqmi3Zsx6W5ixWgCZ5D9jg6-1cRwwnnABwpXg_

K5QEamXFfLPI7DY66xj8wwNOd-r9cfbzFdx6jnSF

And how he compares to Salah, Jota and Mane in the seasons before they arrived.

8U7tRClegGfOy6X8iZFHyGhHtMmcg3Mf8h3BhtG6

None of this is a guarantee that he'll be a success but it shows he's within the profile of player we look for so at the very least he's a system fit. 

2 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Thanks for finding this. He’s defo not the one I hated when we played them which is such a relief. Looks handy.

I referenced that in the diary a few weeks ago and was told that the annoying little twat was the lad on the opposite wing.

I was looking at a Porto forum to see what they think of the deal (most of them think he's been sold far too cheaply, one said he was their best player by far from the last 6 years) and I was struck by the fact that at least the fans seem to think they still owe us money for Grujic.

Can that be true? I can't remember when that deal happened but it feels like ages ago!

7 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I was looking at a Porto forum to see what they think of the deal (most of them think he's been sold far too cheaply, one said he was their best player by far from the last 6 years) and I was struck by the fact that at least the fans seem to think they still owe us money for Grujic.

Can that be true? I can't remember when that deal happened but it feels like ages ago!

What's their take on Grujic? Best thing since sliced bread? Waste of space?