You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Curtis Jones

liverpoolsno9

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Fun fact

Jones 3 league goals since 31st April

Henderson 3 league goals in his last 3 seasons

Thiago 2 league goals in 3 seasons

Fabinho 3 league(non penalty) goals in 3 seasons

Milner 2 league(non penalty) goals in 8 seasons

This means nothing without the context of the roles they play. 

On 16/05/2023 at 16:17, Lee909 said:

Amd the 3 that are going are not worth one fully fit good player. You could give Bajectic the minutes of all three and not notice a difference barring Milner late game subs. The Europa League is like domestic cups in that you use it to blood youngsters in the group stages. I'm all for moving Thiago and even Hendo/Fabinho on but I can't see Klopp forcing any out and 8 for 3 spots is pushing it

So you could probably go that way. You could even make an argument if you were that way inclined that we don't need anyone with the emergence of bajcetic and the form of Jones over the last run of games. But the reality, our issue this season has not just been depth. It's players no longer performing consistently to the levels they used to be able to perform. We have been shit for most of the season. We absolutely must add plenty of quality this summer, it's not just about fellas to sit behind thiago or Curtis waiting for them to break again, or play the spare minutes that might manage fabinho and Henderson to some level of consistent form. 

Looking over this season, we don't have 1 midfield player who'd have a great deal to complain about if they were to be sold or loaned out this summer. Thiago, waste of space. Henderson, performs to his best when being asked not to play too often. Fabinho has been mostly awful and has strung a few ok performances together since he has Trent next to him and Curtis in front of him. Curtis has missed too many games, can we bank on him? Elliot just doesn't look to be ready yet imo. Bajcetic we don't know if he's physically ready because we broke him pretty quickly. And then of course we have the 4 leaving. I don't trust any of our existing players. Get 3 new ones in fighting for the 3 positions, even if they don't all start the season, it won't be long before form or injury gives them their chance. 

We cant bank on Jones he's got some mad injury that's perplexing the universe and we've no idea if his bones will just explode. He is a bonus and what seems to be a very good squad option. His form should not change a single plan we may of had before his run. If he keeps his place and we can manage him exactly the way he needs to be managed for his fitness then brilliant.

If we don't spend more this summer than we ever have done before in a single window there's something wrong. We want to be champions, our FFP means we can spend about 350 million quid I think before we get close to the cheating borderline. Not that I expect us to spend that much. This summer better be bigger than Trumps ego.

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If we don't spend more this summer than we ever have done before in a single window there's something wrong. We want to be champions, our FFP means we can spend about 350 million quid I think before we get close to the cheating borderline. Not that I expect us to spend that much. This summer better be bigger than Trumps ego.

Us fans want us to be champions. I'm not sure FSG care about it.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

Seems like he's had a really good tournament with the under 21s from what I've read. He looked far better at the end of last season too. Hopefully something has clicked with him now and he can really kick on next season.

Unlike most LFC players in the last few seasons, for him to get some more competitive footy away from the reds under his belt can only be a good thing. 

5 hours ago, Strontium said:

One of the very few players in the squad who has actually improved over the last couple of years. Pleased that it all seems to be clicking for him. 

Due to spending a fair time of it injured. You know how we love an injured player to be 'the missing piece of the jigsaw' and his return will halt our five game losing streak.

10 hours ago, Megadrive Man said:

Seems like he's had a really good tournament with the under 21s from what I've read. He looked far better at the end of last season too. Hopefully something has clicked with him now and he can really kick on next season.

Likely be dependants on tonight result, I’d assume he’s in with a shout for player of the tournament.

Liverpool should always have a few local lads as first team regulars, on merit of course.

Trent is world class and hopefully a legacy of last season’s shitshow will be Curtis showing he can be an asset. Himself and Bajcetic wouldn’t have gotten a look-in if the senior pros had been fit for purpose. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Liverpool should always have a few local lads as first team regulars, on merit of course.

Trent is world class and hopefully a legacy of last season’s shitshow will be Curtis showing he can be an asset. Himself and Bajcetic wouldn’t have gotten a look-in if the senior pros had been fit for purpose. 

Waiting here patiently for El Rojo to get the "gotten" neg

21 hours ago, Razoray said:

Waiting here patiently for El Rojo to get the "gotten" neg

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I'm seriously fucking tempted. I rarely neg on a Sunday though. 

Sorry lads. I’ve gotten away with this one - lesson learned.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

His potential is massive, which was easy to see when he got his first chances in the first team a few years ago.

Question has always been does he have the right professionalism and mental strength to be a top player. Think Klopp has made a couple of comments in that direction as well. 

In addition injuries have caused him problems for a

while, along with the fact that he doesnt automatically fit into a midfield in a Klopp team. 

6 months ago I thought he wouldn’t make it here, but things look a little different now. It’s gonna be very interesting to see how he performs this season. Still got the potential to be a world class player imo, but could also end up the next Dele Alli.

Mentality and fitness appear to be the biggest concerns levelled at him. 

Hopefully the penny has dropped on the former, and he gets a bit of luck with the latter. 

He’s the kind of player who absolutely needs to be allowed to express himself, but I do think he had a tendency to hold on to the ball a fraction too long on occasion.

Better decision making often comes with age and experience, so I’m looking forward to him reaching the next level this will bring him. 

He’s not there yet, but after a bit of a stutter, looks to be moving in the right direction again. 

Just now, YorkshireRed said:

Mentality and fitness appear to be the biggest concerns levelled at him. 

Hopefully the penny has dropped on the former, and he gets a bit of luck with the latter. 

He’s the kind of player who absolutely needs to be allowed to express himself, but I do think he had a tendency to hold on to the ball a fraction too long on occasion.

Better decision making often comes with age and experience, so I’m looking forward to him reaching the next level this will bring him. 

He’s not there yet, but after a bit of a stutter, looks to be moving in the right direction again. 

I think the bolder part is the part of his issue. 

Jones was allowed to be more a maverick and play more off the cuff when he was a left winger. He needs to be significantly more disciplined in a midfield 3 and do a lot more defensive work, which I guess he had to learn on the job. 

I agree with the points on decision making and holding onto the ball too long, hopefully the penny has dropped all round now. 

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I think the bolder part is the part of his issue. 

Jones was allowed to be more a maverick and play more off the cuff when he was a left winger. He needs to be significantly more disciplined in a midfield 3 and do a lot more defensive work, which I guess he had to learn on the job. 

I agree with the points on decision making and holding onto the ball too long, hopefully the penny has dropped all round now. 

Yes, it’s a balance he needs to find. Team discipline for the position he’s been playing, but without having the ‘little bit of something else’ he’s capable of being drilled out of him completely. 

I’m confident this can be achieved though. Looking forward to watching him continue to develop into a top player. 

15 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Does make you wonder why weve gone for two midfielders similar to him when we are desperate for a defensive one. 

Not for me. It's a squad game. With that view of the game, we'd have only 3 midfielders. 

35 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

His potential is massive, which was easy to see when he got his first chances in the first team a few years ago.

Question has always been does he have the right professionalism and mental strength to be a top player. Think Klopp has made a couple of comments in that direction as well. 

In addition injuries have caused him problems for a

while, along with the fact that he doesnt automatically fit into a midfield in a Klopp team. 

6 months ago I thought he wouldn’t make it here, but things look a little different now. It’s gonna be very interesting to see how he performs this season. Still got the potential to be a world class player imo, but could also end up the next Dele Alli.

He's always had the talent, but never put it together consistently. But with the run of 9 or 10 games at the end of the season and however many this has been for the U21s, it's a genuine string of performances. The shame is he now has to have 3 weeks off, which means he probably only gets one pre-season game, although that might even be too soon for him to play more than a half hour or so. So it's pretty unlikely he will start the season. 

Shouldn't need a lot of rest after this shite he has played in over last few weeks - he hardly played any football last season really so the bit he did play over last couple of months of season followed by a short rest and a few games recently should see him sound for start of season with a very short break now then a bit of pre-season.....momentum - something he has not had and with it maybe he is about to really kick on.