You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shit that happens now that didn't happen when you were a kid

Section_31

4 hours ago, Total Longo said:

This is true. My lads are 14 and 16 and they just constantly watch youtube and occasionally something on Netflix. Dinner table conversations have died a death, we're lucky to get a grunt out of them, as they shovel food in with one hand and watch youtube on their phones with the other 

On the plus side, i've just treated myself to a new 65" telly, so.... 

I was looking at a phone jammer for train journeys. Looks like you need one mate!

11 hours ago, Total Longo said:

This is true. My lads are 14 and 16 and they just constantly watch youtube and occasionally something on Netflix. Dinner table conversations have died a death, we're lucky to get a grunt out of them, as they shovel food in with one hand and watch youtube on their phones with the other 

On the plus side, i've just treated myself to a new 65" telly, so.... 

This is what I do. Telly is shite and anything I fancy watching I just watch on catch up or download it on the computer. Television is making itself obsolete by catering for very few parts of the population other than the most stupid. Soap operas,reality bollocks and quiz shows are on 24/7 alongside news programmes intended to be as depressing as possible. I will watch media on my own terms now.

I just think that anything that calls for a "reveal" must be something that has chances of good or bad outcomes. There would be no suspense to the "And the winner is..." moment if winning and losing were equal.

So what's the point of a "reveal" where you're supposed to act equally pleased by either outcome?

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

You'll soon be defending gender reveal party's when they are attacked for pre assuming gender, which it why I think they should be proactive and act first by rebranding them as "Has it got a cock or not party's".

Something more than a little off about inviting round a load of people to inspect your child's genitals.

When did car indicator’s become so shit? When I was a kid cars had big fuck off orange lights on each corner that were easy to see. These days they seem to be as minuscule as possible & that’s when they are actually used!!!

1 hour ago, Pete said:

When did car indicator’s become so shit? When I was a kid cars had big fuck off orange lights on each corner that were easy to see. These days they seem to be as minuscule as possible & that’s when they are actually used!!!

Something that's been pissing me off for a few years now. They seem to be getting less visual as the years go on.

• Upvote 1

It seems the golden age of serial killers has gone forever as well.
On this tiny island we live on with increased camera surveillance, the advent of DNA profiling etc. I think the days were hitting double figures was a realistic prospect ( your Wests, Sutcliffes, Nielsens etc ) are long gone. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Soft Joe said:

It seems the golden age of serial killers has gone forever as well.
On this tiny island we live on with increased camera surveillance, the advent of DNA profiling etc. I think the days where hitting double figures was a realistic prospect ( your Wests, Sutcliffes, Nielsens etc ) are long gone. 

Yeah the national crime database put paid to any decent prolific slashers. Ok we had Shipman but that was a different kind of serial killer, not in anyway interesting. I think maybe the best we've had to a 'man-hunt' was Raoul Moat week (what a week that was). If a new one managed over 5 over a fair period of time you'd have to doff your cap.  

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

You'd get beaten up for shopping in Aldi or Matalan, and rightly so. These days you're lauded as some savvy, bargain-hunting folk hero.

My youngest daughter nearly had a fit when I insisted we go in to Netto. I still made her go in. 

If you had anything valuable, you'd stick it in a Netto bag and nobody would go near it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah the national crime database put paid to any decent prolific slashers. Ok we had Shipman but that was a different kind of serial killer, not in anyway interesting. I think maybe the best we've had to a 'man-hunt' was Raoul Moat week (what a week that was). If a new one managed over 5 over a fair period of time you'd have to doff your cap.  

I think the Ipswich Ripper was probably the last time anyone built up a bit of momentum but again the minute the DNA people get involved it was all over in a jiffy. Bloody spoilsports!

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Don't disrespect the good doctor. He may not have been spectacular but he was a good pro who is up there with the best. We'll not see his like again

4 minutes ago, Soft Joe said:

I think the Ipswich Ripper was probably the last time anyone built up a bit of momentum but again the minute the DNA people get involved it was all over in a jiffy. Bloody spoilsports!

Yeah he hit 5 didn't he. 

4 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Don't disrespect the good doctor. He may not have been spectacular but he was a good pro who is up there with the best. We'll not see his like again

Hahaha

9 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

There are rumours of a serial killer in Manchester pushing drunken people into the canals on cold nights. A lot of deaths on stretches of canal path with no cctv but the victims are drunk so hard to prove it wasn’t an accident. Doesn’t seem to happen in the stretches that have cctv quite as much though.  

This has got CJ from Eggheads written all over it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/22/cj-de-mooi-eggheads-arrested-over-killing-in-netherlands

• Upvote 2