You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shit that happens now that didn't happen when you were a kid

Section_31

5 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Potentially fatal allergies. I don't remember anyone at my school, primary or secondary, being so seriously allergic to anything as some people are these days. Peanuts especially, got to be so careful with those bad boys.

They probably died before they even got to go to school.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, General Dryness said:

That's a fair point.

"Make sure you eat this big handful of peanuts before you go love. Oh he's died."

Heh. I'm always amazed that anyone survived in centuries past, especially when people flocked to towns and cities in the 1800s.

Retail is entertainment. Yet still no one really buys fuck all. Shops are showrooms so people can go home and but it online.

Half of Liverpool one is a case in point. Loads of shops with hardly anyone in, browsers looking at £90 Lacoste polo shirt or £350 Boss leather holdall. You know they’ll go home and get the polo shirt for £70 online or A second or discontinued colour from a retail outlet village 

Conversely to Sections dog thefts, you no longer see packs of dogs roaming the streets. I miss that strangely  

5 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

you no longer see packs of dogs roaming the streets. I miss that strangely

You should visit Bucharest, they’re everywhere. At least they were a couple of years back, it’s been a while. 

It can be a bit intimidating when you arrive early at an office and there’s several asleep in the doorway. 

Just now, Doctor Troy said:

People getting stabbed or shot over minor disagreements. It probably happened in the criminal world years ago but now you can't go a few days without hearing about people being shot or stabbed over fuck all, sometimes law abiding people minding their own business.

Yes, if someone got shot dead or stabbed to death whatever it would of been front page news, now it's just local news. 

Kids not decorating their bikes with mad shit like flags, stickers, daft horns, playing cards and whatever you could stick to a bike. You were known by your bike tat when I was growing up. It seems every kid around here is happy with their grubby, unadorned halfords special. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

Pubs being open less but having far more customers. The pub seemed far more accessible to people a while ago. Mainly because of the prices. Virtually most of the pubs in Huyton are gone now and loads of places seem to have none at all any more.

Pre Covid as well. 

Yeah I was thinking the same recently about Arcades. The games went from 10p to a quid virtually overnight.

I'd call this "affordable entertainment", you don't get that now. A few drinks in a pub are like hotel prices and usually have to be built around a meal out, rather than an impromptu trip with a tenner in your pocket. 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Pubs being open less but having far more customers. The pub seemed far more accessible to people a while ago. Mainly because of the prices. Virtually most of the pubs in Huyton are gone now and loads of places seem to have none at all any more.

Pre Covid as well. 

I think insurance costs are a huge factor for pubs. Just not worth it for smaller pubs now. 

31 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Clean fingernails and hair are the giveaway. I was homeless briefly in my teens and it’s very hard to keep your hands and hair clean. The streets are dirty with traffic grime, litter etc. With the absence of public toilets it’s probably impossible now. So if you see a beggar with clean fingernails, they’re not sleeping rough. Save your money for the genuine ones. 

I see what you mean there but I don't look that close, like the minty cunt outside the shop today on the High St, lying on a filthy blanket with his phone plugged into one of those terminal things you get on advertisement sign, should of I have dropped him a few bob while he's listening to music, I don't think so. 

I've been stuck once or twice years ago but always managed to find somewhere though not ideal but somewhere. 

You see them here gathering for the drug drop, then come into the flats car park to do there stuff, might have a shite too, it's good some residents are chasing the cunts out of it   so no where once I used to drop a few bob not no more. 

You should of seen the face one when some old girl came out the shop and gave her a sarnie and not money, or the one outside lidls, some other cunt said can you stop talking to him because he can't earn no money, so no thanks they've chosen their lifestyle   granted there are genuine cases, and the council here provide shelter where they can go   no drugs or drink though so that's not much cop to them. 

23 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

People using the god awful word 'Joint' when they mean restaurant/cafe/canteen/place to eat or any of the other suitable words which have always been used.

Funny you should say that, as 'joint' entered English vernacular before 'cafe' did.