Quantcast
Summer 2020 Transfer Thread - Page 90 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Captain Turdseye

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Recommended Posts

Tweet from @JamesPearceLFC: Klopp on this summer: "This is a difficult year for all football clubs in the world and I don’t think it’s a time where we talk about transfers like the rest around us did not happen. It’s just not possible, at least not for us." (1/2)

Tweet from @JamesPearceLFC: Klopp: "We cannot do it like this, other clubs maybe can, but this club is run in a specific way. This is our way, here we are. Is it the best way? I don’t know, but it’s ours and we will probably stick to that." (2/2) #LFC

 

https://mobile.twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1280619259236954114

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the club are always desperate to put it out in the media that they are skint or everyone at the club is always happy with the squad they have.

 

Dont hear of any other clubs rushing to tell the world they are skint. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Klopp has said Lallana will not play for Liverpool again in order to protect his transfer.

What was the point of extending the wasters contract.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, J-V said:

What was the point of extending the wasters contract.

Do Liverpool have to play Leicester before the end of the season? The only reason I can think of is to prevent him playing against us. I'm not even sure he has played enough matches for a medal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

So after spending nothing last summer and only £7m in January we are broke and have no money for this summer either? 

 

 

It's like having mingebag parents at Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Do Liverpool have to play Leicester before the end of the season? The only reason I can think of is to prevent him playing against us. I'm not even sure he has played enough matches for a medal.

No, played them twice either side of Christmas. I think he has played 5 games though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we sit here and watch possible the Mancs buckle and pay for Sanchez and Chelsea snatch up Werner and Havertz it will be fucking annoying I know that much. 

 

You can't on one hand keep shouting to the press how clever you are selling crap players that funded moves for great players then start saying there is no money when you've barely spent a penny in well over a year. 

 

We spent 8ml last year and sold 39ml worth of players. 

 

You would guess that another £25ml plus will be sold this summer with Wilson and Grujic at a minimum out the door. Lallana and Clyne wages gone. 

Still wouldn't be shocked to see Lovren, Shaqiri and even possible Milner if he wants back to Leeds. 

 

Yet the replacements talked about are all youth team players. 

 

Can only guess the money is being set aside to pay for the new training ground upgrades and stadium extension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If we sit here and watch possible the Mancs buckle and pay for Sanchez and Chelsea snatch up Werner and Havertz it will be fucking annoying I know that much. 

 

You can't on one hand keep shouting to the press how clever you are selling crap players that funded moves for great players then start saying there is no money when you've barely spent a penny in well over a year. 

 

We spent 8ml last year and sold 39ml worth of players. 

 

You would guess that another £25ml plus will be sold this summer with Wilson and Grujic at a minimum out the door. Lallana and Clyne wages gone. 

Still wouldn't be shocked to see Lovren, Shaqiri and even possible Milner if he wants back to Leeds. 

 

Yet the replacements talked about are all youth team players. 

 

Can only guess the money is being set aside to pay for the new training ground upgrades and stadium extension. 

A training ground which has £10m funding it from the sale of Melwood and the ground extension which they've put off indefinitely.

 

Will have to see what other clubs are doing but if its business as usual for most of them you have to ask why Liverpool cant spend any money. Despite 3 years CL qualification, winning 4 trophies, increased sponsorship, expanded stadium, bigger kit deal and at the peak of worldwide popularity. 

 

Even before the pandemic there's always been an excuse not to spend.

 

Need to get in the CL

 

Buying x player will block a younger players path.

 

No value in January

 

Player x didnt convince the transfer committee with his numbers.

 

Liverpool dont need to buy players because they are cleverer than everyone else. 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Seems like the club are always desperate to put it out in the media that they are skint or everyone at the club is always happy with the squad they have.

 

Dont hear of any other clubs rushing to tell the world they are skint. 

Yup, this and very heavy traffic on the messaging to the fans that this is the club for youngsters to thrive over the past couple of weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

A training ground which has £10m funding it from the sale of Melwood and the ground extension which they've put off indefinitely.

 

Will have to see what other clubs are doing but if its business as usual for most of them you have to ask why Liverpool cant spend any money. Despite 3 years CL qualification, winning 4 trophies, increased sponsorship, expanded stadium, bigger kit deal and at the peak of worldwide popularity. 

 

Even before the pandemic there's always been an excuse not to spend.

 

Need to get in the CL

 

Buying x player will block a younger players path.

 

No value in January

 

Player x didnt convince the transfer committee with his numbers.

 

Liverpool dont need to buy players because they are cleverer than everyone else. 

 

 

Infrastructure doesn't count towards FFP, so they're free to spend how ever much choose to.

 

They could do the planned work on the ground, but it's probably best to put it off due to the 'thing' that's floating about, but even if they built a stadium made of gold it wouldn't effect FFP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Do Liverpool have to play Leicester before the end of the season? The only reason I can think of is to prevent him playing against us. I'm not even sure he has played enough matches for a medal.

Even if we hadn't played Leicester twice, it would be impossible for Lallana to play against us anyway. The player registration for this season is closed.

 

It was the right thing for the club to extend Lallana's contract until the end of this extended season. You only have to read/listen to how he's thought of at the club to appreciate why that decision was made. (That equaliser at Old Trafford certainly earned him the extension too, imho).

 

Also love the way Jimbo Pearce only Tweets out half of the comments made by Klopp regarding potential transfer activity:
 

Quote

 


"Are there players out there on the market who could help us as well? Probably, yes," Klopp said. 

"This is a challenge to us to improve a really good football team. But time is a challenge as well. Nobody knows what the future will hold for all of us, so how can we make decisions, really expensive decisions, about how we deal with it? 

"This team is how it is. It does not mean we do not want to strengthen it if we have the opportunity or if we have the financial resources. It will always happen. We will always try. 

"But at the moment it is a difficult time and this team makes pressure on each other, by itself, internally in training the quality is high. 

"This is a difficult year for all football clubs in the world and it is not just a time when we talk about transfers as if the rest around us has not happened. It is not possible. At least, not for us. We cannot do it like this. 

"Other clubs maybe can, but this club is lead in a specific way. This is our way and here we are. Is it the best way? I do not know, but we will stick to it."

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've got a few youngsters with tremendous potential who could be about to have a breakout season.

But that's not as interesting to some as waving huge cheques about.  I understand that, I get the general frustration.

But the combination of FSG and Klopp's track record suggests they know what they're doing.

Some seem to be more concerned with other clubs signing players - who gives a fuck what they do ?  They fucking need to sign quality just to catch us up !

I get the distinct impression some are less concerned with genuine team development than they are with a new shiny mega expensive signing.  That somehow we need to spend as much as others, or be seen to be failing.  Total bollocks.

I knew Klopp's track record, I had absolute confidence in him from the day he signed.  And he's exceeded my wildest expectations.  He puts faith in his players, and it obviously works as winning 4 trophies in 13 or so months is no fluke.

I can't blame FSG one bit for being cautious, nobody knows what the immediate future holds and it could be potentially suicidal to go splashing large sums of cash around when you don't have a guaranteed income to back that.

Yes we need to continually keep trying to improve to stay on the perch we took so long to get back on, but it doesn't necessarily need to jeopardize the club's future.

Ferguson did it at United, it could be that Klopp may emulate that now.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Pistonbroke

Personally I think any team bringing in a load of new players will suffer due to the empty stadium scenario. It won't be easy for new players to gel under those circumstances. We have a squad of players that are fine tuned by the best manager in the World at the moment, we also have 3/4 promising youngsters ready to break into the picture. Why break up a settled squad under the current conditions and uncertainty financially speaking? With Klopp's reach and contacts, I'm sure we'll strengthen the overall squad by bringing in cheap/free/loan players, he also has a canny eye for getting things right in the transfer market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Transfer activity is so strange in this age of social media. I get the sense that there's a feeling of entitlement from some supporters, but also a sense of snobbery at the same time too. Why do we have to spend, or be seen to spend, twelvty million on a player for them to actually be a good acquisition?

 

I still look back on when we bought Robbo - Despite the fee being a modest* £8-10 million, there was a real grumble of dissatisfaction about the transfer as he'd only played for Hull, and was only just breaking into the Scottish national team. Look at how that's turned out.

 

*modest in today's football transfer market.

 

What a number of supporters don't ever tend to consider is the person that is being signed, they tend to focus just on the player, the club he's coming from, and the fee being paid.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A decade ago we nearly went out of business. And now we are league Champions and reigning European Cup holders. 
 

We have an absolutely monstrous wage bill because finally someone realised that half the reason we were losing our best players was what we paid. Would people have liked to see Alisson, Van Dijk and Mane poached last summer? It’s probably the reality that we can’t pay huge wages whilst paying loads for players regularly. And certainly not when we’ve spent on the stadium, the training ground and are looking at a huge loss due to Coronavirus.

 

How on earth are there people on here moaning at owners when it is abundantly clear we can’t go into huge debt with things as they are. I don’t care what the other clubs are doing. We spent what we make and a global pandemic has put paid to that for a year. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Klopp clearly likes and respects Lallana hugely, but he’s not a man who appears to view the club’s money as charity. Sometimes the phrase “He spends LFC’s money like his own” gets used about Jurgen, but I have a suspicion he spends every last quid of the club’s money far more carefully, through a sense of duty. I don’t doubt he’d spend his own money to do something out of respect for Lallana, because he’s a class act. If he’s using finances he’s currently telling people are scarce to keep him around when he’s not going to play any minutes though, we won’t get clearer evidence of the stuff coming out of the club re players many fans don’t rate highly - Mignolet, Moreno, Lallana, Lovren, Ox, etc - being equally important to our successes, because of their high standards of professionalism behind the scenes and the daily intensity/quality of training.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

 

Infrastructure doesn't count towards FFP, so they're free to spend how ever much choose to.

 

They could do the planned work on the ground, but it's probably best to put it off due to the 'thing' that's floating about, but even if they built a stadium made of gold it wouldn't effect FFP.

Yep, I know it doesnt count towards FFP but it's another added expense that means the squad won't be added to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Doctor Troy said:

Yep, I know it doesnt count towards FFP but it's another added expense that means the squad won't be added to. 


Just showing it’s a false equivalency to equate the two.

 

They can spend it they want to, but all evidence points to them not wanting to. 
 

Which is a really shame as we’re currently on the cusp of a dynasty...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Klopp has never been in the position where he can improve on already great players. At Mainz his players were shit, at Dortmund he was constantly trying to retain what he had. Now he has 99% of the squad locked down to long-term contracts, on wages so high money won't be a factor if anyone ever wants out.

 

At all of his clubs the players all love him. One of the reasons for the love is the loyalty he shows to the players (see Adam Lalanna), I can't see  him just discarding one his players for a fancy new toy when those players are giving 100%. The idea of finding a better player than any of our first XI is fanciful, the idea of finding one that has the character Klopp demands is next to impossible.

 

A young left back with potential is the most I can see happening this summer. Possibly Divock being replaced too, that's it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Klopp clearly likes and respects Lallana hugely, but he’s not a man who appears to view the club’s money as charity. Sometimes the phrase “He spends LFC’s money like his own” gets used about Jurgen, but I have a suspicion he spends every last quid of the club’s money far more carefully, through a sense of duty. I don’t doubt he’d spend his own money to do something out of respect for Lallana, because he’s a class act. If he’s using finances he’s currently telling people are scarce to keep him around when he’s not going to play any minutes though, we won’t get clearer evidence of the stuff coming out of the club re players many fans don’t rate highly - Mignolet, Moreno, Lallana, Lovren, Ox, etc - being equally important to our successes, because of their high standards of professionalism behind the scenes and the daily intensity/quality of training.

Has Dr Nowt just dropped a huge hint that Klopp is paying Lallana’s wages? 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×