You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

I honestly think that when we criticise Elliott,Nunez,Diaz,Gakpo,Gravenberch that we have got it arse over tit. We are still banging in the goals but conceding them almost as much. Our current problems are way further back than these threads indicate.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I honestly think that when we criticise Elliott,Nunez,Diaz,Gakpo,Gravenberch that we have got it arse over tit. We are still banging in the goals but conceding them almost as much. Our current problems are way further back than these threads indicate.

Despite the missed chances and the regular concession of the first goal, we were actually doing fine until the midfield finally ran itself into the ground and the returning injured players struggled for form and fitness. I think the biggest factor in our collapse was the injuries catching up with us.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, aws said:

Despite the missed chances and the regular concession of the first goal, we were actually doing fine until the midfield finally ran itself into the ground and the returning injured players struggled for form and fitness. I think the biggest factor in our collapse was the injuries catching up with us.  

I hope you're right, and I hope Slot's training load is a little less attritional. 

For me, Clark and Danns were also jettisoned far too early once the others returned. They had done really well, as did McConnell and more obviously, Bradley. Not sure why they (not Bradley) stopped being first team options - even as subs -  when we were clearly struggling. 

49 minutes ago, aws said:

This.. and the fact that nobody could score from five yards out for 180 minutes or so.

7 hours ago, aws said:

Spot on this. Only thing I’d add is that it affected the whole team, but fully agree that the midfield was the key part and suffered the most.

9 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Our problems are both. We had a phase of about a month where none of our forwards were scoring. We've had 9 or 10 games without a clean sheet in the league or something. It's all about being better in both boxes, and we've failed on both counts in the run in..

On 08/05/2024 at 13:23, VladimirIlyich said:

We play a high risk game that is designed to create a lot of chances but will give some up too.

There's a big debate about that as a tactical approach and whether it's the right or wrong one.

Having forwards who need ten shots to score a goal is a problem in any system though.