You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xherdan Shaqiri

11 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Utd have a second choice on 350k (18 mill) a year, not sure 60k per week/3 mill per year is that exorbitant given the current climate.

Well man United somehow have a lower wage bill than us so I guess they can afford that luxury 

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, belarus said:

The entire profession eh? Would love to see your data collation on that hyperbole

How about the fact the mighty Lyon are literally the only team in for him, and aren't willing to pay more than 5million quid?

Your turn.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

To be fair, Covid probably has a lot to do with that. And French teams are absolutely brassic. 

Maybe. But the fact still stands. Lyon are the only team in for him and aren't prepared to push the boat out either.

Lyon. Not Lille. Not Marseille.

Mid table,  no where near Europe, Lyon.

I know Lazio and Napoli apparently looked at loan deals for him, but they weren't even prepared to negotiate any sort of fee.

Anyone who describes Shaqiri as "great" has really low standards, in my opinion.

Probably the same people who thought Bogdan should have got a go, Ibe was better than Sterling, and Harry Wilson should have been kept on.

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Utd have a second choice on 350k (18 mill) a year, not sure 60k per week/3 mill per year is that exorbitant given the current climate.

Good comparison.  You just have to ignore one being world class when his contract was given and the other being shite his whole career.

Pre-Covid, Shaq was probably a £20m player - not a star but a good performer with a dodgy fitness record. But now his wages mean he has very low value in the current market and we either take what we can get or we see him go for nothing next season with us probably not having used him much in the meantime.  

He doesn't really have a role in the team, he's not what Klopp likes in a No.8, too slow to be a first teamer on the wings. best position for us would be playing off a striker in a 10 but we didn't have the opportunity to play that system very often.

Because he can back up lots of positions.

I know general fan wisdom is you buy players to replace first teamers and then the first teamers become your squad players but that's not sustainable in the real world, you have to buy utility players, players who can fill a gap in the squad, players you can develop etc.

3 hours ago, m0e said:

How about the fact the mighty Lyon are literally the only team in for him, and aren't willing to pay more than 5million quid?

Your turn.

I think you’re zoning in on the word great. Nobody is saying he is a great, but I am saying it in the way that he is a great player, seems a great lad and has been massively underused. 

“What do you think of shaq?”

”He’s great isn’t he?”

Also, your argument above has a fair few holes in it. The entire profession you said. So

by the fact there is only one bid for him, that means nobody else would love to have him? We never received a bid for or interest in Carragher. Do you reckon that meant “the entire profession” wouldn’t have wanted to sign him?

Shaq is a cracking little player. The use of the word great is merely a superlative in the same line as saying someone is “quality” or “boss”. It doesn’t pin him at the highest echelon of the game

13 minutes ago, belarus said:

I think you’re zoning in on the word great. Nobody is saying he is a great, but I am saying it in the way that he is a great player, seems a great lad and has been massively underused. 

“What do you think of shaq?”

”He’s great isn’t he?”

Also, your argument above has a fair few holes in it. The entire profession you said. So

by the fact there is only one bid for him, that means nobody else would love to have him? We never received a bid for or interest in Carragher. Do you reckon that meant “the entire profession” wouldn’t have wanted to sign him?

Shaq is a cracking little player. The use of the word great is merely a superlative in the same line as saying someone is “quality” or “boss”. It doesn’t pin him at the highest echelon of the game

Firstly, you don't know this.

Secondly, we didn't have Carragher on the market 3 windows running (possibly more).

I get your point about the word great, but the comment I commented on specifically stated that he was a "great player".

He isn't.

He's barely a great squad player.

1 hour ago, aws said:

Pre-Covid, Shaq was probably a £20m player - not a star but a good performer with a dodgy fitness record. But now his wages mean he has very low value in the current market and we either take what we can get or we see him go for nothing next season with us probably not having used him much in the meantime.  

He's not on a free next summer. We can trigger a 1 year extension.