You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

The mancs dropped / rested DeGea when he was struggling at the start for them and he came back stronger and better. Why can't we do the same with Karius ?

There's been a lot of posts not just from yourself saying how we can't drop him because it will destroy his confidence.

He should have a strong enough mentality to be able to get dropped and improve his game and come back into the side.

Im one of the Mignolets biggest critics but he looks far more assured than Karius at crosses.

It does look like Klopp is sticking with him as our number 1 but if he makes error's and gets dropped / rested its not a bad thing imo.

De Gea came to United with a hell of a lot more promise and repuation than Karius did, resting a player doesn't suddenly turn them into a better player, nobody else was trying to sign Karius from what I seen, he's no first choice keeper.

Keep playing him. Mignolet was doing better this season and looked like he was responding to having another goalie here, so credit to him for that. However, since Karius got the nod, we should persist.

There have been a couple of jittery moments but you get that with most keepers. Let him play and see if he can find his groove. If he can, we won't look back. If not, it's back to the drawing board. In the meantime, we need to find out, and I think with Matip and Lovren in front of him it will settle down.

A team is forming here, and not all parts are firing at the same level. We'll need a bit of patience while Klopp does his thing.

• Upvote 1

The one thing I will say though is I have witnessed Mignolet cost us a fucking lot of goals with his shitness, I've seen karius look unsure but I haven't seen him cost us a load of fuck up goals, so for now I'd stick with him.

Agreed. We already know Mignolet is shit, no need to tread over old ground.

On Karius the jury is still out, the mad thing is that we've still yet to see him tested in his 3 games.

At some point however, regardless of individual failings is anyone going to address the elephant in the room named Achterberg. He clearly can't get out there and make decisions in a game situation but for our keepers to continue having the same issues going unresolved can't be a coincidence. He's been first team GK coach since 2011 and in that time has overseen the demise of Reina, the continued woes of Mignolet, Jones and Bogdan, whilst never good enough in the first place managed to be even worse than thought.

Karius may turn out to be yet another duffer, but evidence points towards some pretty ineffectual coaching for a while now.

I think writing a young keeper off after just a few games is madness. Especially one that comes so highly rated. It's pretty obvious that sometimes a player needs a little bit of time to adapt. I'm actually a little surprised at the lack of patience.

This,with bells on. Absolute madness the fuckwittery the internet has brought out. He may well turn out to be a duffer but not after less than a handfull of games. God help us if the internet was around with Bruce Grobelaar in his early days,and later ones too.

Guest Pistonbroke

That was just in the magazine Kicker, it wasn't an official award or anything. Leno came second in the official one.

Kicker isn't great, still a load better than Bild Sport which is 90% about fucking Bayern Munich and their shitty plastic fans. As I was saying earlier, Karius had one half decent season for Mainz due to being a default number 1, the other two keepers ahead of him were shite, and the fact the Mainz goal was being peppered with shots. He wasn't a shit keeper mind, but Horn is way better at a similar stage of his career. 

This,with bells on. Absolute madness the fuckwittery the internet has brought out. He may well turn out to be a duffer but not after less than a handfull of games. God help us if the internet was around with Bruce Grobelaar in his early days,and later ones too.

When Grobelaar first joined I sent letters to hundreds of supporters slagging him off, so I've got you there.

• Upvote 5

Kicker isn't great, still a load better than Bild Sport which is 90% about fucking Bayern Munich and their shitty plastic fans. As I was saying earlier, Karius had one half decent season for Mainz due to being a default number 1, the other two keepers ahead of him were shite, and the fact the Mainz goal was being peppered with shots. He wasn't a shit keeper mind, but Horn is way better at a similar stage of his career. 

You're doing him a massive disservice there. He helped Mainz finish in a Europa League position and they conceded the fourth fewest amount of goals in the league. And that was after losing a very talented coach in Tuchel. Saying he was only "half-decent" is unfair and the "second best keeper in the Bundesliga" tag wasn't based on a Kicker rating, it was based on a poll conducted by Bundesliga players and coaches.

No idea what the quality of the keepers ahead of him has to do with his own quality either. He had 3 full years of Bundesliga experience before signing for us and was playing meaningful league matches at the age of 20. Mainz identified him as a big talent and gave him a chance at a young age. Keepers don't get regular playing time at that age unless they are big talents.

If it doesn't work out with Karius, we've a few options.  Play Manninger, recall Danny Ward or sign another keeper.

Playing the hopeless battered Belgian wife would be absolutely pointless since we 100% know he will cost us points constantly.

It's far too early to be judging the German.  Few games in, infront of a new defence in a new league, he needs time.  Hell, even the injury might take a while to get back to normal.

You're doing him a massive disservice there. He helped Mainz finish in a Europa League position and they conceded the fourth fewest amount of goals in the league. And that was after losing a very talented coach in Tuchel. Saying he was only "half-decent" is unfair and the "second best keeper in the Bundesliga" tag wasn't based on a Kicker rating, it was based on a poll conducted by Bundesliga players and coaches.

No idea what the quality of the keepers ahead of him has to do with his own quality either. He had 3 full years of Bundesliga experience before signing for us and was playing meaningful league matches at the age of 20. Mainz identified him as a big talent and gave him a chance at a young age. Keepers don't get regular playing time at that age unless they are big talents.

Then why did we sign him with little fuss and no compettition for 18 pence ??*

*figure may vary according to various reports.

Far too early to tell but he doesn't look as composed as I thought and that is a worry. That said he hasn't had much to do but has not cost any points yet, Tempting fate I know.

Short memories for some on Mignolet, cost us loads of points and his save to shots ratio is awful. 

Hopefully Karius starts to settle, if not a new number one will be needed. He deserves a bit more time.

In which case, why has he been so shit in your opinion?

Then why did we sign him with little fuss and no compettition for 18 pence ??*

*figure may vary according to various reports.

How should I know? I don't have other clubs' transfer plans and scouting reports in front of me.

But one thing to mention is that there wasn't really a big club across Europe who desperately needed a goalkeeper, so that could answer your question. Also, keepers don't generally go for big amounts of money.

Guest Pistonbroke

I'll stick to what I witnessed with my own eyes if that's OK with you? Plus since when have Mainz 05 been the oracle on keepers? He was given a chance due to injuries and been thrown in at the deep end, it worked out to an extent but don't make him out to be better than he is on the back of appearances made, plus goals conceded is also down to having good players in front of you and not always down to the keeper, so you can shove that stat up your stack. BTW, I wasn't the poster who brought up the Kicker magazine rating.

Apart from that I bow down to your obvious superior knowledge of the Bundesliga Wiki. 

In which case, why has he been so shit in your opinion?

From what I'd seen of him, his distribution was never all that good in the first place, so I'm not surprised his kicking looks a bit wayward. That said, Mignolet is barely able to cross the half-way line with his kicks so he's still an improvement on Mignolet in that department.The problem he has with crosses right now doesn't worry me because in Germany he dropped very few and had safe hands. He just needs to adjust to the more direct nature of the league and to learn to come out more often. Very few young keepers are able to adapt right away. He has the tools to be a very good keeper, so it will come. 

I'll stick to what I witnessed with my own eyes if that's OK with you? Plus since when have Mainz 05 been the oracle on keepers? He was given a chance due to injuries and been thrown in at the deep end, it worked out to an extent but don't make him out to be better than he is on the back of appearances made, plus goals conceded is also down to having good players in front of you and not always down to the keeper, so you can shove that stat up your stack. BTW, I wasn't the poster who brought up the Kicker magazine rating.

Apart from that I bow down to your obvious superior knowledge of the Bundesliga Wiki. 

Please, your post reeks of trying to look like you never rated him because he's started a bit shaky. None of the reasons you gave for thinking he wasn't that good in Germany make any kind of sense. It's fine not to have rated him all that highly but please come up with better reasons than "other keepers at Mainz weren't good".