You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Ballache 2016

Bjornebye

Another very average player who'll fit right in a painfully average squad.

With owners who won't pay wages required to sign decent footballers, what else can you expect.

Klopps reputation os going to tale a hammering by the time he leaves. Comoletely hamstrung managing a fallen giant with aspirations far beyond what is possibly under FSG.

According to the clubs mouthpiece James Pearce, that is exactly what has happened. We moved from zielinski to winjthingy

But it doesn't follow that he was second choice to Zielinski only that it's an alternative solution to whatever problem Klopp wants to solve.

There are closer comparisons between Goetze and Wijnaldum.

According to Pearce, zielinski.

I thought Dahoud was first choice and we were fannying about trying to get him even though we were told they won't sell.

Zielinski was desperate to come to us but he was the back up to Dahoud but while we've been waiting for Dahoud then someone's snuck in and done a deal.

That makes Wijnaldum 3rd choice really. People saying he's played as an attacking player and a left winger. He's played centre midfield as well. I know little of either Zielinski or Dahoud but Wijnaldum could be a cracking centre mid. Loads of pace, loads of drive and is a decent passer and finisher. I'd take him over the other two lads right now. Only problem he had last year is he didn't really get involved a lot for Newcastle but it was McLaren, he made Gerrard look shite.

I'm sure Wijnaldum was captain of PSV and Fetenoord. Playing in centre midfield. He's got a bit about him

Gareth Barry was option one over Xabi Alonso. Diouf over Anelka. Loads of first choice signings are shite

• Upvote 2

Ah ha! I get it now. What you're saying is that being outside of the champions league places and the quality of players we buy, has been happening since Rafa left. Is that it? So it doesn't matter who comes in, we will continue to be somewhere between 5-8th. Unless we bring Rafa back.

If this is your argument, then I think you should be posting these ideas in the "former managers" thread as it gets confusing in the 'summer transfer' thread.

Im thinking we will sign poorer players then we did under the last manager based on the players we are signing now.Im thinking Klopps time here may not be successful because of him looking shaky tactically last season, his style of play and the signings he is making.

I'm not saying we are fucked if we have any manager that's not Rafa, I do think the future doesn't look great under Klopp though and when his time is up I don't want the club to take anymore risks so Rafa should be the next manager.

• Downvote 5

I thought Dahoud was first choice and we were fannying about trying to get him even though we were told they won't sell.

Zielinski was desperate to come to us but he was the back up to Dahoud but while we've been waiting for Dahoud then someone's snuck in and done a deal.

That makes Wijnaldum 3rd choice really. People saying he's played as an attacking player and a left winger. He's played centre midfield as well. I know little of either Zielinski or Dahoud but Wijnaldum could be a cracking centre mid. Loads of pace, loads of drive and is a decent passer and finisher. I'd take him over the other two lads right now. Only problem he had last year is he didn't really get involved a lot for Newcastle but it was McLaren, he made Gerrard look shite.

I'm sure Wijnaldum was captain of PSV and Fetenoord. Playing in centre midfield. He's got a bit about him

Gareth Barry was option one over Xabi Alonso. Diouf over Anelka. Loads of first choice signings are shite

Earlier in the summer Pearce / Joyce / reddy etc were all saying we wanted both. Then it became one or the other when we knew we weren't getting dahoud. Either way, it makes little sense to walked away from someone who's higher in your list of priorities for a player at twice the price.

Oh and I'm not saying which is better, I've not seen enough. It just doesn't make sense to pay twice as much for the one the club regarded as 2nd choice.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, Wijnaldum isn't average. He was the best player on a genuinely good PSV side, winning Eredivisie player of the season in 14/15. He also managed to stand out in a dreadful Newcastle side. The problem for me wouldn't be the quality of the player, more the fact that I don't know how he would fit into the starting 11. 

At PSV he was often employed as the furthest midfielder forward in a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1. Maybe Klopp will adopt this as his base formation to fit him in? 

Sort of like: Wij - Henderson

Can

But then that would mean we would drop an attacker which seems unlikely. I really don't want to believe we are signing him just as attacking depth, but at the same time I don't really want to see that midfield three either. It's athletic, but also very headless chicken. The one thing you can say is that he fits into Klopp's style, which is a positive, but first impressions are that he would be a waste of money.

Earlier in the summer Pearce / Joyce / reddy etc were all saying we wanted both. Then it became one or the other when we knew we weren't getting dahoud. Either way, it makes little sense to walked away from someone who's higher in your list of priorities for a player at twice the price.

It is odd I'll give you that.

Doesn't mean it's a bad thing though.

Wijnaldum is, from what little I know of Zielinski, a miles more accomplished footballer currently. You'd expect to pay more for that.

Whether Wijnaldum will improve us or fit in the team the same as they thought Zielinski would, well he might not. I'd rather us sign the better footballer of the two though. Gives them more to work with

Im thinking we will sign poorer players then we did under the last manager based on the players we are signing now.Im thinking Klopps time here may not be successful because of him looking shaky tactically last season, his style of play and the signings he is making.

I'm not saying we are fucked if we have any manager that's not Rafa, I do think the future doesn't look great under Klopp though and when his time is up I don't want the club to take anymore risks so Rafa should be the next manager.

Klopp was here for 7 months and inherited players from the last manager.

His "shaky" tactics took us to two finals. In 7 months.

We have no idea what will happen with the new players who have yet to play in premier league competition because they have just signed. He has signed four players this summer

That being said, we're unbeaten in the pre-season with players he actually signed. 

It is just the pre-season I hasten to add.

So 7 months + 9 days into pre-season fixtures. I don't think that's enough for any fans to predict the future of this club under the current manager. 

• Upvote 2

17jwep.jpg

• Upvote 3